Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Yondering
I've always heard that the ROT of the 760s in 35 REM, 1-16"(?), was too slow to work well with bullets heavier than 200 grains, so rechambers to 358 WIN or 35 Whelen were generally unsatisfactory 'cause the heavier bullets that you'd probably want to shoot wouldn't work well.

IIRC, Paco Kelly recommended heavy 35 REM loads for strong rifles like the 760, but not applicable for the Remington 8/81 and 14/141, Standard, or Stevens 425.

Remington used the same 1:16 twist for all of their 35 Whelen rifles as well. It's plenty adequate for 250gr and more depending on bullet design. I have used up to 280gr bullets in both 35 Rem and 35 Whelen Remington rifles with the 1:16 factory twist with good results. A faster twist is needed for 300gr stuff, but that's not normally used in 35 Remington anyway.

There sure is a lot of bad information being shared in this thread.

Please note that I clearly stated that I had heard that the ROT on the 760s in 35 REM was too slow for bullets heavier than 200 grains, not that I knew that it was from personal experience.

I've had a couple of 1-16" ROT Marlin 336s rechambered from 35 REM to 356 WIN and they handled the 220 grain Speer FP bullet just fine.

My intention was to alert the OP to a possible problem that I'd heard about, so that he could investigate further, that's all. Just trying to help a fellow out, but as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Typical Fire fashion 'I don't have any FIRSTHAND experience, but I can't help but to interject BS into the conversation'

Thanks to most of you.

I guess that I'm on the road to hell.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Just verify the info you're saying is correct before sharing it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

And how/where would I verify this information from sources that would be something other than anecdotal experiences?

One of the best old-time 'smith that I've ever known told me the information that I shared over 30 years ago and I would trust his information 10 times out of 10. He never steered me wrong, but he is long dead, so I can't ask him why he told me what he told me. The conversation came up when I was looking at a Remington 760 in his shop that had been rechambered from 35 REM to 358 WIN. I took it over to the counter and he told me not to buy it because he said that the ROT was too slow for the longer/heavier component bullets available back in the last 1980's,

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

And how/where would I verify this information from sources that would be something other than anecdotal experiences?

One of the best old-time 'smith that I've ever known told me the information that I shared over 30 years ago and I would trust his information 10 times out of 10. He never steered me wrong, but he is long dead, so I can't ask him why he told me what he told me. The conversation came up when I was looking at a Remington 760 in his shop that had been rechambered from 35 REM to 358 WIN. I took it over to the counter and he told me not to buy it because he said that the ROT was too slow for the longer/heavier component bullets available back in the last 1980's,

I'm not trying to be a dick here at all, but here are 2 ways that come to mind:

1 - ask "is the 35 Remington twist rate fast enough for heavier bullets? Will it be a problem?" instead of proposing that there is a problem based on bad information. Plenty of people here know this stuff and could answer that question.
or
2 - do a quick google search for 35 Whelen and 358 Win twist rates in Remington rifles. Maybe take another minute to read if that works for heavy bullets like the common 250gr 35 Whelen load. You'd have found that Remington uses the same 1:16 twist rate for the Whelen.

It's too bad your old-time gunsmith gave you that bad information to start with; that would have been a great rifle to have and could have served you well. Just because someone knows how to work on guns doesn't mean they are correct about all things gun related.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I'm not trying to be a dick here at all, but here are 2 ways that come to mind:

1 - ask "is the 35 Remington twist rate fast enough for heavier bullets? Will it be a problem?" instead of proposing that there is a problem based on bad information. Plenty of people here know this stuff and could answer that question.
or
2 - do a quick google search for 35 Whelen and 358 Win twist rates in Remington rifles. Maybe take another minute to read if that works for heavy bullets like the common 250gr 35 Whelen load. You'd have found that Remington uses the same 1:16 twist rate for the Whelen.

It's too bad your old-time gunsmith gave you that bad information to start with; that would have been a great rifle to have and could have served you well. Just because someone knows how to work on guns doesn't mean they are correct about all things gun related.

I've owned a couple dozen rifles chambered in 358, mostly Savage 99s, a BLR, and a couple of Ruger 77s.. The only ones that still have are a Savage 99DL and one of the Blue Mountain 77 RSIs. If Bill was wrong of this one, it would be a first time that I'm aware of.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had an early Rem 760 in 35 Rem converted to 35 Whelen, 1 in 16 works fine with 250 Gr bullets. You need to find a smith who can rechamber the 760 and knows how to set the RIGHT HEADSPACE!
You cant set the barrel back if you go to far with lugs in the breach of the barrel.

You will end up with a mess if not done right. Find a smith that specializes in 760 work!

First heard of this late 70,s Oregon Smith in Bend OR did one for an Elk rifle 35 Rem to 35 Whelen on a Rem 760. Need to find a early 270, 30-06 mag as later 760 mag latch is different. With longer bullets you
may have to chamfer outside edge of barrel to unload a loaded round.

358 Win probably a better option for your rechamber, but a 35 Whelen will work with the right mods.
All said and done I sold my converted 35 Whelen and bought a factory 7600 in 35 Whelen a lot less fussy
and its chambered right.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

TFF. Do you work for CNN?

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I had an early Rem 760 in 35 Rem converted to 35 Whelen, 1 in 16 works fine with 250 Gr bullets. You need to find a smith who can rechamber the 760 and knows how to set the RIGHT HEADSPACE!
You cant set the barrel back if you go to far with lugs in the breach of the barrel.

You will end up with a mess if not done right. Find a smith that specializes in 760 work!

First heard of this late 70,s Oregon Smith in Bend OR did one for an Elk rifle 35 Rem to 35 Whelen on a Rem 760. Need to find a early 270, 30-06 mag as later 760 mag latch is different. With longer bullets you

358 Win probably a better option for your rechamber, but a 35 Whelen will work with the right mods.
All said and done I sold my converted 35 Whelen and bought a factory 7600 in 35 Whelen a lot less fussy
and its chambered right.

That makes the most sense, thank you. I'll either sell and get a 7600 or forget the pumps all together. I've had zero luck to date with 141 and 760.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kk alaska

and its chambered right.

That makes the most sense, thank you. I'll either sell and get a 7600 or forget the pumps all together. I've had zero luck to date with 141 and 760.

What problems have you had with 141s and 760s?

I've owned a bunch of them and only had one that required work to resolve a problem, a 14 in 32 REM that wouldn't feed reliably until some of the worn parts were replaced.

I don't recall ever having a 760 that wasn't as reliable as a hammer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

TFF. Do you work for CNN?

Actually, I don't really work, mostly retired in my mid-40's. I felt that it was wrong for me to fill a job when someone needed that job to pay their bills and I no longer did.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

574 members (1minute, 22magnut, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,951
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.