Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i think those are WWII handgrips, not WWI. my black army from the same time frame quoted has wood double diamond grips.
there should be a small SG eagle stamped right above the mag release button, and right in front of that button on the trigger guard on mine is 22. the slide release and safety button on mine has a checkerboard pattern, not lined.
the hammer spur looks a little different too.
not mentioning this stuff to be critical, but there are differences.
as the stocks were wood in WWI.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i think those are WWII handgrips, not WWI. my black army from the same time frame quoted has wood double diamond grips.
there should be a small SG eagle stamped right above the mag release button, and right in front of that button on the trigger guard on mine is 22. the slide release and safety button on mine has a checkerboard pattern, not lined.

Yep, it was WWII issue that got the plastic grips. Wood before that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Lonerider
I have a 1916 issue. I think you have seen pictures of it.LD

Yes.. but, maybe you should post another pic for us to drool over. smile

Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Very nice. Gotta love 1911’s

Thanks, HeavyLoad.

Originally Posted by deerstalker
what is not to love! other then the sight.
i have carried a 1911 daily for 45 years now in one flavor or another.
retired my 1946 double colt and carry a GC now. should have retired the double colt sooner, but didn't know its value.

deerstalker, you are quite the dedicated 1911 guy. I am not worthy. smile

I was able to speak at length with the seller today. He is a classically trained, experienced gunsmith. This was one of his personal guns. The only reason he is selling the gun is because he is moving to be closer to his kids and grandkids and needs a little road money.

There is no pitting whatsoever on the gun. He confirmed that. The sights were installed because when the gun came to him, the original combat sights were a mess. He's going to send me documentation on the sights that are on the gun now. He thinks they are either Wilson's or Brownell's. Said it shoots real nice with them. I'm going to leave it that way for now.

Slide and frame fitpoints were polished. Short reset on trigger. Stocks are in excellent condition. Overall NRA rating: Excellent.

I think I'm going to like this old girl..

LD Last time I sent you the pix via text and you posted them for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks, HeavyLoad.

retired my 1946 double colt and carry a GC now. should have retired the double colt sooner, but didn't know its value.

I was able to speak at length with the seller today. He is a classically trained, experienced gunsmith. This was one of his personal guns. The only reason he is selling the gun is because he is moving to be closer to his kids and grandkids and needs a little road money.

There is no pitting whatsoever on the gun. He confirmed that. The sights were installed because when the gun came to him, the original combat sights were a mess. He's going to send me documentation on the sights that are on the gun now. He thinks they are either Wilson's or Brownell's. Said it shoots real nice with them. I'm going to leave it that way for now.

Slide and frame fitpoints were polished. Short reset on trigger. Stocks are in excellent condition. Overall NRA rating: Excellent.

Oh yeah. I remember that. That was a while ago!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hikerbum
If you are going to shoot it, and carry it, leave the sights alone and save the money.

Yes. I'm going to shoot it. Maybe carry it.. some. Maybe. Kind of don't want to put it through this s*it my Glocks go through. lol smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

No offense taken.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
LD If you send me a phone number I will get ya some pix

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
LD If you send me a phone number I will get ya some pix

Will do!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks, HeavyLoad.

Oh yeah. I remember that. That was a while ago!

Lonerider's 1916 Colt 1911

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by local_dirt; 12/10/19. Reason: Y

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i like that long trigger on the 1911's, rather than the shorter trigger on the A1's.
good luck on replacing the sights.
i have one in the stash, i want to say late 43 or 44 remington just from memory.
it was bought originally throught the nra for about 18bucks.
the guy wanted it for bullseye, so he ditched the remington sights replacing the rear with an adjustible sight, and a higher front post.
i was able to find an original rear, but not the front. those are staked in, and on removal they just snap them off.
as i understand it, there is some minor variance in the width of the front sight blade.
anyhow, i was not able to find a new original front sight, so never changed out the rear.
the good part of the deal, is i got three extra military barrels with the gun.
the 1911 i have is a "black army" called that for the finish they were using for a few months.
the guy owning it before me thought it had been refinished for WWII, because of the small SG eagle stamp.
he didn't realize all of them were stamped that way on being accepted by the army.
if you can find a copy, i think his name is charles clawson. this amazon price for his book will choke you up.
there is a later editon that is reasonable in price.
https://www.amazon.com/Colt-45-service-pistols-1911A1/dp/0963397109

Last edited by RoninPhx; 12/11/19.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i gave a copy of that book to a friend of mine that worked in a lgs. few weeks later guy comes in wanting to sell this colt 1911a1. It was a "navy colt" rather rare, and only identifyable by the serial number. It was purchased for about 400bucks, and in reality about a 3000gun.
little knowlege goes a long ways.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i do believe those early holsters were all brown. Changed to black for the korean war.
a lot of the early ones were just recoated to black.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
i gave a copy of that book to a friend of mine that worked in a lgs. few weeks later guy comes in wanting to sell this colt 1911a1. It was a "navy colt" rather rare, and only identifyable by the serial number. It was purchased for about 400bucks, and in reality about a 3000gun.

I was just gonna say - Yeee-ouch on the price of the book. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
these things can be quite addictive. in additon to the firearm, finding a period holster, webbelt, web magazine carrier, carlyse bandage carrier, a couple of "dipped" magazines, the cleaning equipment, some boxes of original ammo, the list goes on.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I was just gonna say - Yeee-ouch on the price of the book. smile

i think the copies i bought some years ago were about 40bucks a piece. I figure they cost me nothin given the info i got to properly look at a pistol, and see what somebody else didn't see.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got a 1917 dated Remington manufactured one that is in similar condition to the pic in the first post. What is the general value for one like this? I know there can be nuances based on part content, condition, etc. Has the recent releases by the CMP driven the cost/value up or down?

I bought a new recoil spring for mine and intend to take it to the range when the weather gets better. Give the 102 yr old girl a light workout.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i don't think you can get an easy answer on price depending on where in the country located, and without tearing it down and referencing the books as to the parts. I know they aren't cheap anymore and hear stories about good condition WWII remingtons in the 1500range or higher.
some of the other companies that produced fewer are way up there now.
I do know i am using the cmp prices as a base for mine, not that i have any intent to sell them, but if i did it wouldn't be below that 1000marker.
one good idea is to buy a wolfe recoil spring to use as a marker. measure the ones in the old guns against that, if shorter, they should be replaced if shooting them. I did that one time on four or five WWII versions, ended up putting new springs in all of them saving the old springs to stay with the gun.
I have seen some union switch versions in the mid two's.
i for sure don't think the cmp releases have driven prices down.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 12/14/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed, Ron. Don't see the CMP driving prices down at all. If anything, the other direction.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the slide stop should be checkered, but I'll have to dig an original from the back of the safe. I also think the original sights were smaller that the 1911A1, and the rear sight was rounded on the edges. The tang safety was also shorter, it is hard to tell from the pictures. Naturally the magazine should be two tone.
I have one of the last 1911 made in 1923 before they converted to the 1911A1. Mine is a commercial "C" marked. It is really a gem.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been doing a bit of research myself. My 1911 pictured in the OP was produced in 1918, as evidenced by the serial# 249xxx. That puts it in the first 300,000 guns produced, and prior to the Black Army period where the final polishing step before applying the finish was skipped to facilitate faster production. This accounts for some of the ~ 325,000 guns of the Black Army period (May 1918 - March 1919) exhibiting poor finish retention.

https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?19126-1911-Guru-s-needed-!!-1918-Colt

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

338 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.