Hop To
#14371046 12/14/19
D
Dp1975 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I’m working on a Swedish Mauser build for a lightweight sporter. Reading an old issue of the GunDigest (2000) there was an article were a guy cut off the top of the magazine box on a Spanish Mauser lowering the profile making a lighter and slimmer rifle overall.
The article had pics but not any info on the how of the modification. Looking at the 96 one piece bottom metal removing a 1/4” would be easy enough, but what about the length of the trigger? Are there shorter triggers or could a 1/4” be cut from the middle of the steel trigger and rewelded? The guy in the article removed 1/2” from the magazine which is a little too much imo. 1/4” would reduce capacity by 1 round but slimming the stock by 1/4” would make a big difference in overall profile without removing too much. Anybody done this or have an idea on the trigger issue? There is a company in Germany doing this very thing and there mausers are supposed to be around 5 pounds, they are really trim looking rifles. The Swedish Mauser bottom metals are very cheap 15$ would be worth the try if I could figure out the trigger depth. Inletting the action 1/4” deeper into the stock would not be much of a hassle either. Can not figure out how to post pics but the German rifles can be seen at Waffen-Kessler rifles. ( sorted the pics out lol)

Attached Images
Last edited by Dp1975; 12/14/19.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are you planning on using the original 2-stage trigger, or going to an adjustable single stage item like a Timney? Either way, just bob 1/4" off the bottom of the trigger, and reshape the profile if the shape doesn't suit you. I'd choose to do the cock on open conversion and use an aftermarket adjustable trigger if I were doing that project.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Dp1975 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I was planning to use the original trigger. I have gotten used to the two stage triggers, I have hunted quite a bit with a Winchester model 54 with two stages trigger.
I thought about shortening the trigger at the bottom, there is 1/8” clearance right between trigger and guard now ,removing a 1/4” would not bother finger placement and would be the easiest fix.
I kinda like the looks of the original saftey and the cock on closing is not an issue. I’ll be putting a Lyman 57SMET on the rifle, no scopes for me. I intend to use the rifle for deer/hogs. The 3 deer I’ve killed this season and a few hogs non was over 30 yards. Trying to build a lightweight short range sporter that will be carried more than shot as I prefer to still hunt instead of watching a feeder or food plot.
I’ve read several threads on lightweight Mausers or reducing Mauser weights non mentioned the magazine shortening. I think a decent bit of weight will be lost from the amount of wood removed along the entire stock plus 1/4” of steel from the magazine. Without a scope I think 6 pounds or less could be possible without messing up the balance or affecting strength of the action. Right now with the 18” barell and stock weigh 6 lb 10oz. Featherweight contour 21” barell plus the front site and a Lyman peep, less the difference in original barell weight and the 1/4” off the mag and stock, should be close.

Last edited by Dp1975; 12/14/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have zero to add, but I think it sounds like a fun project. They can, and do, make trim little buck fighters.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have put together at least 20 rifles on Swedish SR Mausers, but I was never seeking to reduce the weight of the barreled action by a few ounces.

When building on a Swedish SR Mauser action, either a military action or one from a Husqvarna 640, I always do the following three things:

1. Replace the trigger with a unit from Bold or Timney that has an integral safety.
2. Replace the the bolt should with a commercial style unit that has a larger gas shield.
3. Install a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening kit.

Good luck on your project!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.