Print Thread
Hop To
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve read quite a few posts here and elsewhere about 17HMR cases being split upon firing. Lots of good info about possible causes from posters and somewhere I read a manufacturers response.

I’ve noticed a few split cases here and there from a variety of rifles and ammo manufacturers. The one that splits is always the one that ruins a group. To date though I’ve seen nothing like this:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Each and every one of these are split upon inspection after firing. Accuracy is terrible. At some point I stopped and took a closer look at the unfired rounds. Every one of them are split at the neck BEFORE firing.

Tough to see up close and live. Even tougher to get a clear picture of but it’s there. Each unfired rounds neck is split. I tried to highlight a split with a sharpy far left.

Looked at many other random boxes of ammo from an assortment of manufacturers and could not find any other split necks.

Bad box? Bad lot? Don’t know that answer but Winchester everything 17HMR has shot poorly for me. Now I’ve found one possible cause.

Doubt I take the time or incur the expense of sending these back to them. Likely nothing to gain as I’ve referenced responses. Thought though I’d give others a heads up from my recent experience.

Will be no more Winchester 17HMR for me.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At one time, CCI was making all the Hummer ammo, but Winchester started making its own a few years ago.

I'd pitch a bitch at them. Maybe they'll do something for you. If you bought a brick, I'd definitely complain.

How far out of the group were the flyers?

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/31/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Since they moved rimfire production to Mississippi a few years ago almost all the Winchester ammo I have bought has pretty much been unreliable trash. It's no surprise that their 17HMR ammo is now junk.

Remington has actually improved lately. Winchester is now the bottom of the barrel to me based on side by side testing in the exact same guns.

Good luck with their CS dept.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm still shooting through the 4 cases of CCI with the TNT bullet that I bought when they were $3.95 a box. Those cases don't split but bought a box of Winchester to try and they split cases.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have had Hornady ammo and the cases bulge on the primer ends. I have some Winchester ammo that I have not fired and it was recommended to me to use CCI ammo. Volquartsen rifle is what I am shooting and its a semi-auto. I have fired some of the CCI ammo and there was no bulging of cases.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd think that Win brass is too brittle. That's something they should be able to fix. QC must be pretty sorry.

Made in Mississippi?

Hmmm....

DF

R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Originally Posted by Pappy348

How far out of the group were the flyers?

To best answer your question, I often look at the empty case when I notice a flyer that I think wasn’t my fault. Often, I find the neck split. What I call a flyer is usually an inch or so out of the normal 1 1/2” groups. With various other brands splits aren’t common. The Winchester rounds pictured however produced patterns on paper 4”plus in size.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
At one time, CCI was making all the Hummer ammo, but Winchester started making its own a few years ago.

I'd pitch a bitch at them. Maybe they'll do something for you. If you bought a brick, I'd definitely complain.

I might Pap but doubt it. Time to package, get to UPS hub, expenses for what? A coupon for a free box? Apology? Not real interested. I’ll probably just shoot them up.

Have some Winchester Supreme 17HMR, 8 boxes left. Opened and inspected a couple of them after posting last night. Couldn’t find any pre-firing splits. They shot better than the pictured rounds but various CCI, Hornady, Fed, etc all do much better.

FWIW best ammo I’ve found is Federal Premium. Three different lots so far. Consistent 1 1/2” at 100 yards. Some groups much smaller.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gemby58
I'm still shooting through the 4 cases of CCI with the TNT bullet that I bought when they were $3.95 a box. Those cases don't split but bought a box of Winchester to try and they split cases.

TNT most accurate round in my Annie 1717, one group going quarter MOA.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I'd think that Win brass is too brittle. That's something they should be able to fix. QC must be pretty sorry.

Made in Mississippi?

Hmmm....

DF

careful dirt..........you ain't too far from us brother..
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in September, Winchester sent out a recall/warning notice on two lots of 20 grain 17 HMR ammo.

You would be doing a public service if you would contact Winchester/Olin with the lot number, or numbers, to let them know that there is a problem with the case annealing on some of their 17 grain ammo. One or two times might be looked at as isolated incidents, but three times looks like a trend.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, when they had primer issues they sent out prepaid shipping containers and a local express company came and picked up the box. No expense to me at all, and the cash settlement was fair, generous even.

I suppose it would depend on how much risk (for them) they think exists.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a problem with split cases with Winchester 22 mag ammo. I called Winchester and they had me return it at their expense. I received a credit toward any of their ammo.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
323 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.