Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do you guys like for bag organization? Ziplock baggies are a pain in the rear. I was thinking about some Mystery Ranch Zoid bags in various colors to carry smaller items and keep things organized. One color for the kill kit, another for medical/survival, one for lunch and snacks, ect. Especially one for blackpowder hunting and all the associated stuff. Recommendations appreciated!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Make sure the 50lb sack of potatoes is centered in the cast iron stove so that a small shift doesn't throw you off your stride.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Kifaru 500D Pullouts for me. But I'm mostly our for the day.

Last edited by woods_walker; 12/14/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a combination of Kifaru ultralight pullouts and kuiu dry bags.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Kuiu dry bags and zip bag for my kill kit, food bag and electronics bag. I don’t like to use a bag for my clothes as I like to stuff them in wherever they fit and keep my pack less bulky.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use ultralight nylon or silnylon bags from whoever is cheapest for the things you pointed out.

As 805 mentioned you loose pack density super fast when you use too many bags for storage, especially larger bags. A tight easy carrying pack is way easier to achieve when you've got soft stuff loose to fill all the gaps with.

Stuff I keep in ultralight nylon bags: kill kit, first aid kit, food bag, blackpowder gear if I'm packing in a smokepole ....otherwise it goes in ziplocks or mostly doesn't get bagged at all.

Big bags of crap just don't fill the backpack as neatly as small squishy items.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No dry bags for me. I want something with a full length zipper so I can look in and grab what I need without the need to fish around in a top opening bag. Tired of ziplock bags filling with air and converting to a balloon after being opened. Probably gonna grab several Zoid bags from MR.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am pretty firmly in the camp of keeping the bag packed as tight as possible so I don’t use many separate bags inside it. I don’t use one for my sleepsystm usually or tarp/tipi/tent or any clothes accept sometimes rain gear. I will use
These
for my kill kit and a good chunk of my food /meal plan as well as the little grey one with emergency stuff in it like a tiny bottle of jack daniels and some duck tape.

They aren’t on the website right now but
We can always bang these out for any of you guys without much lead time. Less than an ounce in most sizes you’d want.

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/17/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
+1 on Kifaru pullouts

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Zip lock bag for me and my Blackpowder items. Seriously you can't get the air out ? Find what you like, I will stick with Zip Lock bags.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
At least for me, the issue is that the stuff I put in the ziplocks (typically a full day's food in a gallon ziplock) has a tendency to push outward. The bags are not entirely airtight, especially as time goes on and holes get poked, so over time they allow the bag to expand, and pretty soon they have expanded to fill all available space. Especially true if you have 2-3 weeks worth of food in 14-21 ziplocks. Then, when you go to re-compress, you are dealing with 14-21 balloons that are slow to bleed air out of. I'd imagine it happens with anything compressible, but I don't use ziplocks much anymore.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MOGC
What do you guys like for bag organization? Ziplock baggies are a pain in the rear. I was thinking about some Mystery Ranch Zoid bags in various colors to carry smaller items and keep things organized. One color for the kill kit, another for medical/survival, one for lunch and snacks, ect. Especially one for blackpowder hunting and all the associated stuff. Recommendations appreciated!

Exactly what I do to the letter.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Robster

Those are the ones I use. Nice assortment and they work nicely. Very lightweight. Make color coding easy.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I ordered some small bags from a company in FL. They have an [bleep] store. Great quality. I bought a bunch of different colors for different things. Red (FAK) orange (fire), green (shelter), blue (water purification), grey (kill kit and misc)

I bought the large size. You can always make them smaller but not larger.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]post pictures

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been known to vacuum seal things that I don't want to get wet (socks). Really compacts them down too.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I ordered some small bags from a company in FL. They have an [bleep] store. Great quality. I bought a bunch of different colors for different things. Red (FAK) orange (fire), green (shelter), blue (water purification), grey (kill kit and misc)

If these are Granite Gear sacks, I use them, too, and really like them. My main use for them is keeping hunting clothing organized in storage (socks, gloves, base layers, etc.), but they'd work just as well in a pack. Kifaru pullouts are another favorite, or their Mountain Ridge counterparts.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
503 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 42 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.