Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I got out with my Hawken this week for muzzleloader season. No deer so far . I have the plain old factory sights. I just plain can't see them in the woods when I aim. I am looking for some of the neon sights. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy and what brand that will work without having to modify them? I sure like that gun with the new Green Mountain barrel but I was not expecting the sights to be so hard to see in the low light in the woods.

Last edited by ihookem; 12/08/19.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the Williams replacement sights on a Renegade. Had to open the front dovetail some as it wasn't properly cut at the factory. Don't know about the Green Mountain barrels. i suggest you call Williams and ask.

BTW, I find a square blade easier to shoot with consistancy than any round bead these days. My Renegade has a Skinner on it now, painted dayglow orange.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is one on eBay right now.
Thompson Center #7748

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Fiber optics are gonna be your best bet, The later Green Mountain LRH Barrels came with them (Williams I believe is who made/makes them) The Rear Sight fits the Octagon Barrel, the front is Simply Drifted in the Dovetail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's s a MORTAL SIN!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thats funny Sharpsman. I actually feel bad about a fiber optic sight on a muzzleloader. I can't see the sights in the woods at all, however.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just tape an LED fishing bobber light behind the front sight. I like the green lights.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make sure the fiber optic is supported on the bottom.
T/C first made them with it only supported on the ends, the
middle suspended. Anything that touched it, broke it.

I actually shot a deer looking through and around the hole where
the red dot should have been. Got tired of replacing the pipe, got
new sights.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I finally decided to buy a Williams peep sight instead. It is a number 1340 . I do have to mount it on the tang and need to drill a hole to boot. I think I will shoot much better . We will see. Anyone else have a tang peep sight? I hear Idaho Lewis doesnt do well hunting with them but we will see.

IC B3

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by ihookem
I finally decided to buy a Williams peep sight instead. It is a number 1340 . I do have to mount it on the tang and need to drill a hole to boot. I think I will shoot much better . We will see. Anyone else have a tang peep sight? I hear Idaho Lewis doesnt do well hunting with them but we will see.

I love my Peep sights, i have them on EVERY Muzzleloader I Shoot 👍 In fact i would be in trouble without them, My eyesight is NOT VERY Good from an Accident in the Logging/Timber industry, A Peep sight helps me Tremendously. My ONLY Complaint is Low light, In Really Low light i Might as well be Blind, This Depends of Course? Not all Low light is Bad. I shoot Peep sights so well that i am Willing to Trade off Lower light, For better light. If i see a Deer at 200-250 Yards, He will be coming home with me 👍 I simply cannot do that with Regular open Sights, Not even Close!

I have a few of the Williams 1340s, They are Called an FP Hawken. I have shot mine to 500 Yards Accurately. Thompson Center Hawken Rifle, Green Mountain LRH .45 Cal, 1:30 Twist Barrel. Lyman 17AHB Globe front, With Shavers BPCR Insert

Target is 505 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder. White Spot strait Above my Barrel, That Target is 3-4 Feet in Diameter

Standing behind my Target looking Back at my Truck/Shooting Bench, All the way at the Very end of the Logging Cut/Unit

3 Shots in 7 inches, This was 1 of my first attempts at this, with this Particular Setup

400 Grain Cupped Base Paper Patched Bullets

Typical 100 Yard Target with the Above Load, 7 Shots here

I Scribed this 500 Yard Mark in my Sight, This is a Well Proven Load in this Rifle

Mine is a TK Model (Target Knob) I also have Gib Elevator Lock on mine, with a 1” Target Aperture

Here is the Gib Lock, Without this you need a Small Flathead Screwdriver to make Field adjustments. This Gib Elevator Lock is SLICK! This allows me to Lock/unlock in the Field by Hand

Last edited by Idaholewis; 02/03/20.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks, Idaho, I think I will like it. Mine is a bit different than yours cause Mine has a smaller peep. I think you will do better with targets but I got the Williams that seems more for hunting , but I still get a peep sight. I dont even remember the model number but it will be here soon so I will post it when it gets here. I have to drill a hole in the tang and I didn't want to do that but dont have a choice. I also know of a TC Renegade that seemed new for $395 in a gun store. I'm going to get it if the barrel is clean. I might just keep it for investment cause they are getting hard to find. Also, say there were no more TC or Lyman . Is there a company you would recommend for a custom traditional muzzleloader? I am also interested in those.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 sight options for the TC. Willams and 2 OEM TC units.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
My eyes are getting to the point that I can't use open sights. On my T/C Renegade, I put a Williams F/P rear sight and a Tru Glo green fiber optic front sight. Works like a charm for me.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Terryk
3 sight options for the TC. Willams and 2 OEM TC units.

Why no mention of the Lyman 57SML? One of the Very Best Tang Mounted Peeps out there for these Sidelock Muzzleloaders. I have 6 of them on TC Hawkens, and Renegades

Unfortunately this Fowlers is no longer made, This was a FAR superior sight to the TC

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
It looks like the Fowler had 2 1/2' between the screws and then I would not have to drill. That looks like a simpler sight . Also, the Lyman was on my list . However the guy at Winlliams helped me. I have a Williams sight on my Green Mountain and thought I could get a peep for the barrel but they didn't have it , or he didn't think it was made.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

617 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,258
Posts18,448,140
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.