Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Does anyone have any link or advise where I could find information on 'Stith' scope mounts as far as their history, what firearms they were made for, ie. any and all information about them. I've read bits of info on this forum, here and there on 'the web', and also on the 'Savage Shooters' forum, but nothing that gives a full concise history on them. Just interested in expanding my knowledge on them. Have a set on my 250 Savage 99G, was looking hard at the set Fireball 2 had for sale a little while ago. Curious, what is the approximate cost for the unit 'Lightfoot' has for sale.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The only recorded info on the Stith mounts that I know of is in the Nick Stroebel publication of Old Rifle Scopes. I've accumulated a lot of knowledge but have never taken the time to put it in a document.

the site Savage99.com has several pics of Stith mounts.

My Lightfoot mount is currently at $185 shipped. The acquisition cost of the Leupold mount it is built around keeps climbing so I had to up it again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I've accumulated a lot of knowledge but have never taken the time to put it in a document.

You really should Mike. At least as it applies to Savage rifles.
M.L. Stith/San Antonio, models for 1899/99, variations, sizes, scope compatibility, examples, etc.
We can figure out how to complete it, clean it up and post/preserve it.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Lightfoot. Agree with S. WI Savage, ya should list it somehow. If ya can't appreciate your input. Will consider your mount if I decide to scope my 99R 300 Savage. Guess I came to the party late, not really sure what you mean by "The acquisition cost of the Leupold mount....:."---- Have an idea, but just guessing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I've accumulated a lot of knowledge

That's an understatement of gross proportion.

When it comes to bases and mounts and scopes Mike (hasn't) wrote the book.

Yet.

It should be recorded for future generations.

Just sayin.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Below is a list of the variations that I own for 99s. Does anyone know if there was a 3/4" with windage adjustment? I'm starting to think they don't exist or if they do they must be uncommon. Also it seems there are different variations of the dove tail mounts on the 3/4" models, some have steeper slopes. At first I thought someone had hit it with a file, but after obtaining more 3/4" mounts I saw the same variation of the dovetail mount in multiple instances. One is almost completely flat and will fit an octagon barrel ( need to shim the tang mount though ) and the other one has a noticeable slope, my guess is for different barrel tapers.

1" with objective bell

1" with objective bell, windage variation

1" without objective bell

1" without objective bell, windage variation

7/8" no objective bell

7/8" no objective bell, windage variation

3/4" no objective bell

1" Stith master mount

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by damnesia
Also it seems there are different variations of the dove tail mounts on the 3/4" models, some have steeper slopes. At first I thought someone had hit it with a file, but after obtaining more 3/4" mounts I saw the same variation of the dovetail mount in multiple instances.

I have a copy of an instruction sheet that I think Lightfoot posted a while back, the Savage 99 mounts came with three dovetail inserts of different angles marked 1, 2 & 3 and you were supposed to find the correct one for your barrel contour and then return the others. I've got some Stith mount parts that I will be going through.

I have a 3/4" windage, the mount is the same as the 7/8" & 1" but the ring is made of steel.

Last edited by GeneB; 12/11/19. Reason: added note

Gene
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gene, does that 3/4" steel ring look factory original? Have never seen one that wasn't aluminum on the windage models.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It's factory original, even has a code on it, appears to be E1K.

Here is the 3/4 windage (right) compared to a regular 3/4.
[Linked Image]

The ring for the windage has a step in the bottom.
[Linked Image]

The ring screws go in the opposite side from the larger aluminum ones.
[Linked Image]
I always assumed that the windage adjustable mounts came much later possible fully
replacing the earlier type mounts and by that time using 3/4" scopes was less popular.

dovetail sets for 99's
[Linked Image]

some dovetails for other applications
[Linked Image]

different mounting variations, the two on the right have the dovetail integral with the swiveling piece
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 12/12/19. Reason: aded some more notes to the pictures

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great posting Gene.

"The ring screws go in the opposite side from the larger aluminum ones."

Is the ring reservable?

"Dovetail sets for 99's... #1,2,3 for the 99"

Do you know what barrels the #1, 2, and 3 are for? (Gene/Mike/anyone)

Last edited by Rick99; 12/12/19.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting pictures and information. How did the windage adjustable mounts work? Read somewhere on a post that the 'Master Mount' variation had some issues of some kind. If so, what would that have been?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Master mounts were not a no-drill installation. They were made for scopes with no internal adjustments.

The windage adjustable style was for scopes with only elevation adjustments. But, in reality most of the setups I've seen were with scopes with full internal adjustments.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Rick, the ring in the windage mounts are not really reversible, the bottom has the step in it so the front of it is even with the front of the base, if turned around it would set almost 1/4" back, Trying to turn a couple around I found you could not get the screws both in on the 3/4 because there wasn't enough clearance and on the 1" the screws would go it but the ring was offset enough in the base that it would allow almost no tilting of the ring for horizontal alignment.

The windage mounts work by tightening & loosening the two screws on opposite sides, the opening in the base is slightly wider than the width of the lower part of the ring allowing a little side to side adjustment. The ring also sets a little high to allow it to tilt a little for horizontal alignment. Basically the ring floats in the base held only on the ends of the two mounting screws. These are not related to the Master Mounts.

Trying to measure the angles of the 99 dovetails using an old Starret protractor head (accurate to only about 1° & now beyond my eye sight to even read it that close) I get the # 1's coming out between 1° & 1½°, the #2's between 2½° & 3° and the #3's between 3½° & 4°. I tried stacking some to multiply the angle to make it easier to read but that just resulted in looking for dovetail mounts on the floor.

Gene
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good information, learned more in this thread than in wearing my fingers out on the keyboard searching for it. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was referring to the 3/4" ring in this photo. Looked like it could be reversed to put the screws same as with the 1". Might not have been many of that style made if Mike hasn't seen one.

[quote=GeneB]The ring for the windage has a step in the bottom.
[Linked Image]

I assume the #1, 2 and 3 base has to do with barrel diameter and dovetail location. Was hoping someone had determined which one was used on what barrel style.

Last edited by Rick99; 12/14/19.

Rick...

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Not a Savage, but neat Stith mounts holding a Weaver 330 M8 on an old Model 1917:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Stith mounts in the beginning were custom made for your rifle. Is the dovetail factory or added? That mounts look more like a Do-It-Yourself adopted/modified to fit. Maybe a Win 70 rear?

Rick...

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've never seen a 1917 Enfield with a dovetail in the barrel. Has to be cut/custom fit. Although most Enfield's I've seen pictures of or eyeballed had the rear handguard on. My 1917 Enfield doesn't have any dovetail cut, nor any barrels I've seen had any. There would not have been any reason for the factory to cut a dovetail in the barrels for the functioning of the rifle or any parts. Interesting rig though!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rick99
I was referring to the 3/4" ring in this photo. Looked like it could be reversed to put the screws same as with the 1".

Rick, the bottom ring in the picture is the 3/4" windage, the upper one is a standard for comparison, I should have labeled them in the picture - you can see if the windage ring is reversed the notch would be to the rear, and it doesn't quite fit, the mounting holes are not quite in the center of the lower extension. You may also notice the non-windage ring has slotted head screws, this seems to be what was used in the earlier mounts.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Rick99
I assume the #1, 2 and 3 base has to do with barrel diameter and dovetail location. Was hoping someone had determined which one was used on what barrel style.
Since they are all slightly different angles the use would be determined by the barrel taper at the dovetail. The angles I got were not done with the most accurate tools for that purpose but I think they do fall into the ranges I gave, not all were exactly the same and the measurement was of the angle from the bottom of the dovetail to the top and would only be accurate it the dovetail milled into the gun were parallel with the top of the barrel. If one could measure the angle he bottom of the dovetail makes to the top front of the receiver that would determine which one to use. I do not have any 99's of the correct era to check these with.

Last edited by GeneB; 12/14/19.

Gene
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
GeneB-I thought to myself when you first posted the picture of the Stith mounts that the photo of the one above this post that the two screws on the sides of the rear mount must be for adjusting the windage. Was it pretty effective? It's a pretty basic method it seems to adjust a scope with no internal adjustments. Interesting mount.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (22kHornet, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.