Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I know people love Tikkas, but I'm curious what people don't like about them. I mean, besides the usual complaints about the appearance and the plastic parts. Are there any inherent flaws in the action? I never hear about them needing service, but I'm assuming they do break sometimes. When they do, what breaks? The flaw I can think of off the top of my head is poor twist rates. I'm sure there are more.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I own 4 Tikkas....

T3 6.5x55
T3 260 (have not shot this one yet)
T3X 270
T3X 6.5 Creedmoor

These are the things I don't like about Tikkas:

1. Plastic bolt stop
2. Plastic trigger guard
3. Poor factory scope rings

The twists for my rifles is perfectly fine. ALL of them so far shoot very well

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haters gonna hate. Think Glock, circa 1989.....

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by 16bore

I get that, and I'm not looking for this to be a rehash of the normal criticisms and complaints. But no rifle is perfect, right? What are the imperfections of a Tikka?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SDblackhills

I get that, and I'm not looking for this to be a rehash of the normal criticisms and complaints. But no rifle is perfect, right? What are the imperfections of a Tikka?

I don’t own more than 2 is the biggest problem.

I’ve had a T 3 Lite SS 270 since 2003.........Not ary a Problem.

Nuff said.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I own 4 Tikkas....

T3 6.5x55
T3X 270
T3X 6.5 Creedmoor

1. Plastic bolt stop
2. Plastic trigger guard

Better check your Tikkas. The bolt stops aren’t plastic.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a bunch of Tikkas.

1 1-10” .223
2 1-8” .223
2 7mm-08, one Superlite, one straight stainless
1 .30-06
1 7mm Rem Mag

My brother has 5, my dad has 2. Ain’t nothing I don’t like about them.

I wish I could find a stainless 1-8” T3 Varmint in .223.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The only negative that I have with Tikka's is that when they first hit the market, I could get a T3 Lite SS for about $400. Now, you can't touch one for less than $600.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My complaints are minor. I have a T3 Superlite 223, a T3x Superlite/EDGE in 7mm-08, and a T3x Hunter 270. I wish the bottom “metal” was metal, so I replaced one with parts from High Desert Rifle Works and am happy, so I’ll eventually replace them all. I really dislike the plastic studs they put in the scope screw holes. I used to think they were screws, now I just punch them out. I wish the magazines had a little more room, but the current limitations don’t seem to effect accuracy. I do have some M+ magazines on the way for the 7mm-08. I also wish they fit flush. Still not a real big deal. Still haven’t shot the 270. Not sure why I bought it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1:10 twist in the 243 is the only negative I can come up with.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wish they made more stainless 24in CTR's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The T3 recoil pads are not very good!
Here's why, when you unscrew the pad from the stock you will discover a hard plastic hollow base.This is covered with very thin (about 1/8" thick) rubber veneer to make the plastic area appear as a thick rubber pad.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For me the only real downside is the detachable magazine, which can be annoying in a hunting rifle if it gets lost while you're packing it in, etc. Otherwise...they real good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No 7-08 CTR is a negative.

I only have the T1X's in .22lr and 17hmr as of now.
Will be fixing that next year.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Plastic magazine and detachable magazine.
Plastic trigger guard.
Tupperware stock on majority of models.
Upgrade your stocks, trigger guards and magazines Tikka! Take a fair price increase to cover additional cost. But Beretta won't allow them to, because it would destroy Sako sales.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TX35W
For me the only real downside is the detachable magazine, which can be annoying in a hunting rifle if it gets lost while you're packing it in, etc. Otherwise...they real good.

I see this mentioned all the time, but I’m wondering how many guys have actually lost mags while carrying theirs. I’ve carried a few different tikka lites a good distance on foot, in an UTV, and a lot in a ranch pickup. never had a mag accidentally drop. And unloading/reloading the rifle is easier than with a floor plate, and much easier than any blind mag.

Other than that OP, as mentioned some twist rates aren’t great. Mainly 243 with a 10”. And of course the one size fits all action with short or long bolt stops bothers some guys. Functionally it’s a non issue. But I understand if one doesn’t want a “.223 in an ‘06 length action”

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The only negative I can come up with, and I own several Tikka rifles, is Beretta only imports certain models for LH hunters & shooters. It would be much better if they brought the entire Tikka line into the US.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
The only negative I can come up with, and I own several Tikka rifles, is Beretta only imports certain models for LH hunters & shooters. It would be much better if they brought the entire Tikka line into the US.

This.....I would like to have a "LEFTY" T3X in 6MM Creed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I own 4 Tikkas....

T3 6.5x55
T3X 270
T3X 6.5 Creedmoor

1. Plastic bolt stop
2. Plastic trigger guard

P

LOL , glad you said it .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
Plastic trigger guard.
Upgrade your stocks, trigger guards and magazines Tikka! Take a fair price increase to cover additional cost. But Beretta won't allow them to, because it would destroy Sako sales.

Their "Tupperware" stock is the absolute best synthetic stock I have seen on a rifle. LIttle or no Flex and correct design.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Plastic trigger guard.

Their "Tupperware" stock is the absolute best synthetic stock I have seen on a rifle. LIttle or no Flex and correct design.

Do you mean it's the best "Tupperware" stock, or best synthetic stock? There are absolutely better synthetic stocks available.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 12/15/19.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am a Tikka enthusiast and have been for years. I won’t have a bolt action rifle that does not lock the bolt down when its safety is engaged and Tikkas certainly meet that requirement. On the other hand, I wish they did have a three-position safety like the Sauer 100 or even the XPR. CP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They do everything you ask out of a rifle, other than offer a soul. I have owned quite a few and still own 3.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
The bolt lugs are actually plastic, I would avoid them at all costs.

whistle

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Plastic trigger guard.

Do you mean it's the best "Tupperware" stock, or best synthetic stock? There are absolutely better synthetic stocks available.

Best Tupperware stock ie: not hand laid up fiberglass,kevlar or carbon or mix of all. I have owned B&C T3 stock and would not waste the time again. I doubt the MCmillan would get you anything more either.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
What tail,
No. My point was I think all Tupperware stocks are garbage. I agree with you. B&C or similar would be nice upgrade. Fiberglass would push price into direct competition with Sako and that will never happen.

Last edited by Hugh_W2; 12/15/19. Reason: Additional comment
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Only complaint I have is they don’t make one in 6mm creedmoor.

No complaints with with the other 10 or so I have or have had.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have 4 Tikkas myself.

T3X 7-08 Compact
T3X 270 Win SL
T3X 22-250 1-8
T3X 6.5 CM

Only complaint is the magazine catch trips too easy while riding over a pack. My fix was a piece of riggers tape across the stock to hold the mag in place. Done deal. Will grab a 223 SL soon.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

I see this mentioned all the time, but I’m wondering how many guys have actually lost mags while carrying theirs. I’ve carried a few different tikka lites a good distance on foot, in an UTV, and a lot in a ranch pickup. never had a mag accidentally drop. And unloading/reloading the rifle is easier than with a floor plate, and much easier than any blind mag.

Me too, same ?

Someone said a while back 'here' that the detachable mags were "just something else to leave at Home!" Really ?
When you clean your bolt, what do you do with it ? Put it back in the rifle. SAME for the mags.

I've been using D Ms since they were called "CLIPS" in the 60s with my Dad's 760, 30-06. Have HAD & HAVE many D Ms today in Rem M Sixes & Tikkas.

I've NEVER lost one OR left one at home.

TO ME a D M is a PLUS! Others M Obviously V.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Their trigger guards may be plastic, but they're really good plastic!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just purchased a use t3 stainless in 7mm 08 from gunbroker.com. It developed a problem with light strikes so I sent it back to tikka to have them look at it. They cleaned it and sent it back to me saying that the problem was that the prior owner didn't take care of it. I then took it elk hunting when I fell on the scope on my other rifle. Last day at 40 yards I squeezed the trigger on an elk at 40 yards and was rewarded nothing but a muffled click from the rifle.

I just got around to trying different primers in my handloads and found out that half of all brands of primers don't ignite all the time in this particular rifle. A local gunsmith took one look at the rifle and told me that I have a weak firing pin spring in the rifle. Whether he is right or not I can't tell because I don't have the rifle back yet, however it would appear that in this case this particular rifle does seem to have some light strike problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikkas are the Toyota Camry of the gun world.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What tail,
No. My point was I think all Tupperware stocks are garbage. I agree with you. B&C or similar would be nice upgrade. Fiberglass would push price into direct competition with Sako and that will never happen.

Gonna have to disagree here, B&C not necessarily a nice upgrade. Many, myself included, have tried them and came to the conclusion the factory handle is better. Especially with a paint job to dress them up and add texture.

The B&C stocks for tikka lites add weight, are thicker, and very often don’t fit for schit. That’s not a guess, I’ve had 3. That’s said, if you get one that fits or want to mess with straightening them out they’re ok. I do like the M40 for a heavy rifle.

McMillans and manners are a nice upgrade for sure, and may or may not be worth it depending on individual preference. I have both. A tikka factory barreled action in a premium stock is still about $11-1200 investment, and that’s a lot cheaper than any custom built rifle I know of, and similar in price point to many premium factory rifles

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aren't CTR's a couple hundred bucks over 1000 right out of the gate? Put a premium stock on one of those and things get pricey.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'll keep buying them until I find something I can't live with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Tikkas are the Toyota CamryTACOMA of the gun world.

Fixed it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikkas are the Toyota CamryTACOMA of the gun world.

Fixed it.

Overrated?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where is the buy made in American crowd?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar

Busy on the phone with customer service.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ha ha that is funny!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh crap.... you may be right.... frown

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own 4 Tikkas but doubt I will buy anymore. The rifles are good and problems are few. I refuse to support a company with terrible customer support. Had issues with the wife’s 17 HMR not feeding correctly and Beretta ignored every call and email I sent them. It was only after EuroOptics intervened did they made a half azz attempt to help.
And now I find myself on the short end of the stick again trying to get a $75 rebate promised to me in August.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Aren't CTR's a couple hundred bucks over 1000 right out of the gate? Put a premium stock on one of those and things get pricey.

Yes, you’d have 1500-1600$ in a ctr SS in a nice stock. About same money as an Bergara HMR pro, the browning x bolt that comes in a McMillan game scout, some of the Christensen arms rifles.

A Remington build would be more than that by my math. It’s all just preference, hard to get a good shooting rifle in a true premium stock with features like a dbm for under $1500. The thing about a tikka ctr is it’s just about guaranteed to shoot in factory form and can upgrade or not to suit preferences. They don’t really “need” anything.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
your not alone on the $75.00 rebate--lousy customer service.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Their stainless get little rust pits too easy. 3 different tikkas, 3 different guys.
Crappy recoil pad. 1:10 twist 223
Besides that I keep buying more tikkas.
I have 3 tikkas.
223,6.5, 30/06

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dre
Their stainless get little rust pits too easy. 3 different tikkas, 3 different guys.
I have 3 tikkas.
223,6.5, 30/06

If you don’t like a 1-10” twist, why didn’t you buy a 1-8”?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tikka is my favorite mass produced rifle. With that said the twist rates could be improved on some calibers and they solved the poor rings issue by not offering rings with the T3X. Properly constructed polymer is plenty strong as far as I'm concerned and I prefer it over steel every day of the week!

If I was an astronaut I'd also prefer the space shuttle be built out of superior materials that Nasa uses though I'm certain Nasa played hell trying to convince all the old school STEEL fanatics that there beloved material was incapable of both leaving the earths atmosphere or returning!

Last edited by Trystan; 12/15/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
I have 3 tikkas.
223,6.5, 30/06

P

I was not re loading at the time when I got 1:10
I guess I wish I wouldn't have bought or they shouldn't even offer it

Last edited by Dre; 12/15/19.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve seen enough on this thread and the RUSTING” thread to never buy one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh crap.... you may be right.... frown

Now that was funny.

#leupold

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rust is a new one on me.... own several and never a rust problem.
My 7-08 loaded with 150 eld x is my go to rifle here lately

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Yeah, it's funny how they tend to rust when put up wet.......imagine that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well check this one out. I bought it in ** 2003 **

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pic taken in 2016 !!

I don't take any different care of Tikka than Blued rifles.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
I have 3 tikkas.
223,6.5, 30/06

P

I was not re loading at the time when I got 1:10
I guess I wish I wouldn't have bought or they shouldn't even offer it

50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint
Max charge Benchmark
3400 FPS at the muzzle
Tikka 1-10”
Groups so small you wouldn’t believe me.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it's been pretty well covered on the Fire, in terms of negatives, but not a bad idea to have a summary thread for those doing their research.

My thoughts are below. I realize some of it has been already covered above.

1) Corrosion issues for some with stainless, but it's not exclusive to Tikka. My stainless Kimber was just as bad.

2) The protruding magazine for some. Personally, a flush mag would be better but would probably require a double stack. I think the production singlestack functions great.

3) Although Formi has more experience with this, I still feel that the bolt stop pin is not ideal. The fact that there are failures indicates that it is not robust in design. I don't necessarily mean a big fat pin, but robust in terms failures due to manufacturing variations, user applications, etc. Not many failures reported though, and most hunters would most likely never seen an issue.

4) Gas handling is the biggest problem with the Tikka in my view. I don't see any design features that prevent hot gas from reaching the shooter's face or eyes in the event of case failure.

Other than that, I think the Tikka has the best plastic stock and trigger in the budget rifle class. They feed really well, and I've never had a problem with extraction or ejection. Solid scope mounting as well.

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/15/19.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider

LOL you and I must be really lucky to not have rusting Tikkas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think it's been pretty well covered on the Fire, in terms of negatives, but not a bad idea to have a summary thread for those doing their research.

1) Corrosion issues for some with stainless, but it's not exclusive to Tikka. My stainless Kimber was just as bad.

2) The protruding magazine for some. Personally, a flush mag would be better but would probably require a double stack. I think the production singlestack functions great.

3) Although Formi has more experience with this, I still feel that the bolt stop pin is not ideal. The fact that there are failures indicates that it is not robust in design. I don't mean a big fat pin, but robust in terms of manufacturing variations, user applications, etc. Not many failures reported though, and most hunters would most likely never seen an issue.

4) Gas handling is the biggest problem with the Tikka in my view. I don't see any design features that prevent hot gas from reaching the shooter's face or eyes in the event of case failure.

Other than that, I think the Tikka has the best plastic stock and trigger in the budget rifle class. They feed really well, and I've never had a problem with extraction or ejection. Solid scope mounting as well.

J

One more...

5) COAL for L/A

J

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jwall

Pic taken in 2016 !!

Jerry

That's because yours has the special stainless steel grin

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I own 3 T3x and have been very pleased. They all shoot superbly. The oldest of the 3 is more prone to rust than I expected ( all are SS). I happen to think the Tupperware stocks are easily good enough.... My biggest beef? They’ve gotten more expensive as their reputation has spread.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

My blued Tikka doesn't have any rust on it and it's 20 years old. They don't rust if you take reasonable care of the fuggin things.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Pic taken in 2016

That's because yours has the special stainless steel grin

yep ! hee hee

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart

My blued Tikka doesn't have any rust on it and it's 20 years old. They don't rust if you take reasonable care of the fuggin things.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I forgot one:

Load Development.

If you really like to tweak ammo, this rifle’s not for you.

That 6CM’s gotta be on the horizon, this just might do it.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

3) Although Formi has more experience with this, I still feel that the bolt stop pin is not ideal. The fact that there are failures indicates that it is not robust in design. I don't mean a big fat pin, but robust in terms of manufacturing variations, user applications, etc. Not many failures reported though, and most hunters would most likely never seen an issue.

J

One more...

5) COAL for L/A

J

I've had Tikkas in one form or another for over 20 years. Until very recently I've never heard of problems 2,3,4, or 5, and 1 is a real stretch since it's not just a Tikka issue. Many of my friends have owned and used them since that time and I've still never heard of such.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The people who practice with them and become adept with give the smucks who just go down to Sportsman's and buy one, have it bore sighted and then go hunting an excuse to wound animals. For everyone on here who shoots a bunch that is no problem but they shoot good enough that many noobs think you don't have to practice. Just buy a magic Tikka. They are a lighter rifle and kick and it takes somebody who knows what they are doing not to fall into the trap of buying shooting proficiency.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Why 1989?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tikka barrels can be very difficult to unscrew. Also, you have to spend $10 on a spring to make the trigger really nice.

Those are the only things I can think of.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock mags are known as some of the most reliable magazines out there.

They happen to be made of the same material as their trigger guards.

Maybe Tikka should make their mags and trigger guards out of the same material. Oh, Wait..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Interesting thread - thanks everyone for the replies. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy something besides a Tikka, but it seems like almost every other rifle has more issues. The Bergara Ridge rifle I've been considering is tempting, since I've been wanting a magnum rifle with a heavier contour barrel. That's something Tikka doesn't offer. But to get that, I'd be sacrificing the option for stainless steel. A search for Bergara problems on google turns up a lot of results. I'm also thinking that I'd have to spend $150 on a Triggertech trigger for the Bergara to get a trigger to compete with Tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

Why 1989?

Just because that’s as far back as I can remember them. 😜

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting thread - thanks everyone for the replies. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy something besides a Tikka, but it seems like almost every other rifle has more issues. The Bergara Ridge rifle I've been considering is tempting, since I've been wanting a magnum rifle with a heavier contour barrel. That's something Tikka doesn't offer. But to get that, I'd be sacrificing the option for stainless steel. A search for Bergara problems on google turns up a lot of results. I'm also thinking that I'd have to spend $150 on a Triggertech trigger for the Bergara to get a trigger to compete with Tikka.

have you tried a bergara trigger. they really aren't that aweful.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Yeah I’m guilty of it. The rifle wasn’t soaking wet. Just didn’t wipe it down dry when put in opened (not zipped up) soft case over night

Last edited by Dre; 12/15/19.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh, I forgot one:

Load Development.

If you really like to tweak ammo, this rifle’s not for you.

That 6CM’s gotta be on the horizon, this just might do it.

[Linked Image]

This thread makes your point:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-stainless-load-development#Post10019996

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I don’t like about them is the way the stock fits me. If not for that I would own several.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are just hard to not like. Plastic bottom metal seemed like a bad idea but I know of no one having issues. I dont like the looks of the stock but damned if they dont fit like a glove. The factory rings did suck glad they did away with them. Mag length seemed like a big deal for a while but who needs to chase the lands when they shoot lights out with wherever the bullet is seated. There are nicer guns out there but they are heavier or need a different trigger the Tikka just checks all the boxes even if it is unattractive. The only way to beat it is to build a custom and then you might be disappointed as well.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 79inpa

have you tried a bergara trigger. they really aren't that aweful.

My Ridge pulled a very clean and consistent 2 lbs 12 oz out of the box. I had already ordered the TriggerTech before I had the rifle in my hands so went ahead and replaced it. I do wish my Ridge was stainless though. I would definitely pay more for that.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have bought 8 Tikkas. 4 are mine, 2 each for my two sons.
Someone said no lefties? One of my sons shoots southpaw, I ordered his lefties from Cabelas no problem.
I have always preferred a drop out magazine.i have shot control in the western states now for 35 plus years and keep extra loaded mags in my pocket. Super handy when keeping an empty gun in the vehicle, jump out slap
One in and go.
My favorite is my Tikka T3 .243. The twist is excellent for the 55gr ballistic tip federals I use for coyotes.
Are there better rifles out there, yes. Are there rifles with fewer issues, not many. I simply feel Tikkas are as good as it gets for their price range.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I own 4 Tikkas....

T3 6.5x55
T3X 270
T3X 6.5 Creedmoor

1. Plastic bolt stop
2. Plastic trigger guard

P

Bolt shrouds on the T3 series.

Liberalism is a cancer
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Tikka safety is one of the best reasons to own, IMO.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I just purchased a use t3 stainless in 7mm 08 from gunbroker.com. It developed a problem with light strikes so I sent it back to tikka to have them look at it. They cleaned it and sent it back to me saying that the problem was that the prior owner didn't take care of it. I then took it elk hunting when I fell on the scope on my other rifle. Last day at 40 yards I squeezed the trigger on an elk at 40 yards and was rewarded nothing but a muffled click from the rifle.

I just got around to trying different primers in my handloads and found out that half of all brands of primers don't ignite all the time in this particular rifle. A local gunsmith took one look at the rifle and told me that I have a weak firing pin spring in the rifle. Whether he is right or not I can't tell because I don't have the rifle back yet, however it would appear that in this case this particular rifle does seem to have some light strike problems.

Make sure your bolt is cleaned of all lube in the firing pin spring and hole. Flush with brake cleaner

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd also check firing pin protrusion. But, I bet the gunsmith did that already.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been through 4, don't have any at the moment but will likely buy another at some point (if only because the Kimber Hunter isn't offered in .223). I never had pitting, but I did notice that the Tikka stainless requires more care than some other rifles I've had, in order to avoid spot rust, thankfully the spots I did get were easily removed with bronze wool and kroil.

A few other things I'd change:

- Faster twist rates in the .243, 7mms, and .30 chamberings
- The stocks seem to transmit more recoil than other designs (newer Winchesters, Brownings and Kimbers)
- I'd like more than 3 rds of standard cartridges in a flush fit mag, I'm not scared of double stacks
- The two position safety is well located and locks the bolt, but I prefer a 3 position safety

Overall they are a decent value on a solid low-feature rifle, they built their reputations as excellent values back when they were a Benjamin or two cheaper.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/15/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I own 4 Tikkas....

T3 6.5x55
T3X 270
T3X 6.5 Creedmoor

1. Plastic bolt stop ** really **, don't think so.
2. Plastic trigger guard -->
3. Poor factory scope rings -->

NOT to beat up on ya. I see you have 4. That's twice as many as I have.
I posted this later than your post here but my point is simply

This is my T3 Lite SS 270 exactly the SAME as I set it up in 2003
I've had NO problems with any of those things including the FACTORY Scope Rings.
The ONLY time I've had to adjust the scope was after a HARD fall - I bounced and the rifle hit the ground hard.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've noticed all I have to do is point my Tikka in the direction of deer and just pull the trigger, no aiming at all and they fall....lol

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've owned a T3 in 308 and a T3x in 30-06. Not a fan of detachable mags but no complaints other than that.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
B
I have two. A T3 forest in 270 and a t3x lite stainless in 30-06. Both shoot great. Only gripe is the twist in the 30-06 won’t stabilize heavy non-lead very well, but I also could just shoot a lighter Bullet or lead bullet.

The plastic stock isn’t my favorite, but admittedly it is better than most plastic stocks. Doesn’t compare to the composites like kimber Montana or Christensen IMO. With that said, the walnut stock on the hunter and forest models is excellent. The forest (maybe also hunter) has a nicely done palm swell and is surprisingly decent wood.

I wish there were easily available options for lightweight scope mounting on the factory dovetail. I know of sports match but they’re hard to find/figure out. also wish it was easier to get talleys that were lower than lows. But that’s not really about the rifle.

About the rust .... stainless is not rust proof, it just is more resistant. Keep it dry clean and LIGHTLY oiled and it won’t rust, blued or stainless.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BenfromNY

About the rust .... stainless is not rust proof, it just is more resistant. Keep it dry clean and LIGHTLY oiled and it won’t rust, blued or stainless.

Everyone knows that stainless is not rust proof.

What we're saying is that the stainless alloy used on Tikkas, or perhaps the finishing process, seems to render them less rust resistant than other stainless firearms. I had to be more careful about reapplication of oil or corrosion inhibitor after a wet day of hunting, or even just temperature change condensation than I did other rifles like SS Winchesters or Ruger's. I treat all of my firearms with Eezox before they ever go to the field and I touch them up regularly thereafter.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got 2.

A T3 Lite lefty in 30-06. I put a metal bolt shroud on it. I'm happy with it.

Also got a T3X Lite stainless lefty in 270 Win. Haven't shot it yet, but anticipate no problems. Always wanted a 270 anyway.

For a lightweight mountain-type rifle, I'm satisfied with them.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Me too, same ?

Someone said a while back 'here' that the detachable mags were "just something else to leave at Home!" Really ?
When you clean your bolt, what do you do with it ? Put it back in the rifle. SAME for the mags.

I've been using D Ms since they were called "CLIPS" in the 60s with my Dad's 760, 30-06. Have HAD & HAVE many D Ms today in Rem M Sixes & Tikkas.

I've NEVER lost one OR left one at home.

TO ME a D M is a PLUS! Others M Obviously V.

Jerry

I agree ref DM's being a plus. I've had multiple rifles with DM's, including a Rem 788, Rem 7600, and several Ruger Americans. I find them convenient when leaving the truck to hunt, and when returning at the end of the day.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

It is SO frustrating to see left hand models in desirable calibers not available in the U.S.!! It makes me do a hissy fit dance sometimes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by BenfromNY

Everyone knows that stainless is not rust proof.

What we're saying is that the stainless alloy used on Tikkas, or perhaps the finishing process, seems to render them less rust resistant than other stainless firearms. I had to be more careful about reapplication of oil or corrosion inhibitor after a wet day of hunting, or even just temperature change condensation than I did other rifles like SS Winchesters or Ruger's. I treat all of my firearms with Eezox before they ever go to the field and I touch them up regularly thereafter.

This hasn’t been my experience, I don’t believe tikka SS is any more rust prone than other makes with a similar finish.

I may could buy that an SS M77 MKII is slightly easier to keep rust free than an SS tikka, but that’s more to do with polished finish vs bead blasted IMO. I doubt a bead blasted ruger Hawkeye is any more corrosion resistant than a tikka. I’ve had all three of the rifles I’ve mentioned, with no significant rust on any of them. But I haven’t put any of them away wet either...

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

Ok. Where i live it rains four feet each year. To the West where i hunt it rains up to double that. Tikka T3X Lite ... zero rust. Yes, I hunt in the rain.

Last edited by longarm; 12/17/19. Reason: Edited to add suggestion of Corrosion-X
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

This hasn’t been my experience, I don’t believe tikka SS is any more rust prone than other makes with a similar finish.

I may could buy that an SS M77 MKII is slightly easier to keep rust free than an SS tikka, but that’s more to do with polished finish vs bead blasted IMO. I doubt a bead blasted ruger Hawkeye is any more corrosion resistant than a tikka. I’ve had all three of the rifles I’ve mentioned, with no significant rust on any of them. But I haven’t put any of them away wet either...

Funny, I can remember when there was lots of griping on this forum about SS Ruger Hawkeyes rusting easily. I had one and never had a problem. I think eventually the consensus was that it wasn't the SS on the rifle/action rusting but the media used to bead blast the finish. I wipe my rifles down when I'm done w/ them and never had a problem.

David

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
They are, easily, the worst rifle for me ergonomically that I have ever handled. I have wanted to buy one for years, but every time I hold one I absolutely hate it. They shoot great and are built well, but for whatever reason they just don’t work for me. I know a couple buddies feel the same.

My $.02

“To be is to do" - Socrates

"To do is to be" - Sartre

"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

KV
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have several Tikka's. I love them and find no problems with them. I just carry them a bit, shoot occasionally and mess around with them. I have had no problems with them. I try to by every one I can find that is close to local, and around $400 or so used. Best buy on the market. Accurate, light to carry and great actions to build a custom off of.

Off memory I have
T3 - 7mm Rem Mag
T3 Hunter .30-06
T3 SL .270
T3 7mm-08
T3 .243
T3 .223 1:8
T3 .308
T3 6.5x55 Swede (Fluted barrel)

They work well for me.

Last edited by Oakster; 12/17/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Why 1989?

Ha! Thanks, I thought maybe I’d missed something.

Oddly, I remember the month and year I saw my first Glock, August 1983... an Austrian border guard was packing one, and man I’d never seen a pistol like it!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by longarm

Ok. Where i live it rains four feet each year. To the West where i hunt it rains up to double that. Tikka T3X Lite ... zero rust. Yes, I hunt in the rain.

Congratulations

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why 1989?

Oddly, I remember the month and year I saw my first Glock, August 1983... an Austrian border guard was packing one, and man I’d never seen a pistol like it!

My parents gave me a SS Colt 1911, 45 ACP of course, as a graduation present from high school. The fella that worked at the shop told my dad I could trade it for a Glock 17, as long as I didn’t shoot it (the good old days, for sure)

My response: not a chance in hell I want a plastic pistol.

Fast forward to today...I’m quite a Glock fan.

People will catch up to Tikkas.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Why 1989?

My parents gave me a SS Colt 1911, 45 ACP of course, as a graduation present from high school. The fella that worked at the shop told my dad I could trade it for a Glock 17, as long as I didn’t shoot it (the good old days, for sure)

My response: not a chance in hell I want a plastic pistol.

Fast forward to today...I’m quite a Glock fan.

People will catch up to Tikkas.

I think Tikkas are already pretty popular and well known, hell they were the top selling hunting rifle at a medium sized local gun store I used to frequent 10 years ago.

They're still good rifles, but between price increases and more strict MAP enforcement they are quite a bit more expensive relative to the rest of the market than they used to be. They've gone from being a must-buy deal to a frontish to middle of the pack contender. SS Tikkas under $600 and blued under $500 were great deals, now that prices are $120 to $150 higher, they just aren't the automatic buy they were, at least for me.

Honestly, I think the Kimber Hunter gives the regular Tikka Lites stiff competition these days, it costs about the same, has faster twist rates, 3 position safety, better ergos and weighs a pound less. My recent production Kimber has shot about middle of the pack, or a little better as compared to my Tikkas which in and of themselves are usually pretty good for light rifles (my CTR was phenomenally accurate, but also quite a bit heavier).

I'm certainly not a Tikka hater, but there are some things I think they could do better, especially as the price has increased.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/18/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't like that they don't fit me very well. The stock is a milk jug and feels like one too. I've owned 3 and only one of them was a tack driver. I also don't like the one action size for everything. In the grand scheme of things, that part probably doesn't mean anything...but I don't like it.

Before the bumped the prices way up, they did have some appeal because it is a well build gun for the most part. But when the prices got raised up...there are other guns that appeal to me more.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by longarm

Congratulations

Is Your mind Closed ?

A sincere question.
You’ve ‘read’ about SOME Tikka’s rusting. Ok, I get it.

You’ve ALSO read MANY here, including myself say WE have had NO rust
problems.

Regardless, you’ll decide without Personal Experience ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The “extra” cost for a Tikka gets made up in chasing loads that “shoot”. Pretty quick too....

Off the rack and factory fodder, I can’t imagine the Kimber Hunter could hang with a Tikka.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
now imma preface this with i'm about the biggest or one of the biggest tikka nuts you will find. TO ME they just check more boxes than the rest of the pack. but, when i pulled the barreled action outta my fluted stainless hunter 260 rem there was some "staining" of the stainless/silver. it didn't appear to be rust as i couldn't feel it on the surface best i can remember. the gun was at that time still new and never shot cept by the factory. it didn't make me happy but once i shot it i quickly forgot about the "issue". i did as i do all of my new to me rifles in that while i had the barreled action outta the stock i layed the eezox on heavy and assembled the barreled action back into the stock and as far as i can tell i've not had rust issues. now, i've not put a wet gun back into the case for days or even hours though. thought that was just common sense though......... heres a tip:cut you some 2"x2" section off on old t-shirt or gun barrel patches or whatever and go ahead a saturate them with your choice of protectant.i like above mentioned eezox or ballistol personally,and put em in a ziplock bag and put em in your day pack or truck toolbox or whatever you will be in when you are hunting and when rain hits when you get back to your truck wipe the exterior of the gun down before you put it in the gun case. if your feeling really froggy buy you a patch worm kit and keep that with you then you can pull a cleaning patch thru the bore also to be sho nuff protected.
just my thoughts fellas,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by whitearrow
now imma preface this with i'm about the biggest or one of the biggest tikka nuts you will find. TO ME they just check more boxes than the rest of the pack. but, when i pulled the barreled action outta my fluted stainless hunter 260 rem there was some "staining" of the stainless/silver. it didn't appear to be rust as i couldn't feel it on the surface best i can remember. the gun was at that time still new and never shot cept by the factory. it didn't make me happy but once i shot it i quickly forgot about the "issue". i did as i do all of my new to me rifles in that while i had the barreled action outta the stock i layed the eezox on heavy and assembled the barreled action back into the stock and as far as i can tell i've not had rust issues. now, i've not put a wet gun back into the case for days or even hours though. thought that was just common sense though......... heres a tip:cut you some 2"x2" section off on old t-shirt or gun barrel patches or whatever and go ahead a saturate them with your choice of protectant.i like above mentioned eezox or ballistol personally,and put em in a ziplock bag and put em in your day pack or truck toolbox or whatever you will be in when you are hunting and when rain hits when you get back to your truck wipe the exterior of the gun down before you put it in the gun case. if your feeling really froggy buy you a patch worm kit and keep that with you then you can pull a cleaning patch thru the bore also to be sho nuff protected.
just my thoughts fellas,
Big Ed

Excellent advice! Good post👍

Liberalism is a cancer
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great thread! I took delivery of my first new Tikka T3x lite stainless in the rain yesterday. Haven't seen any rust yet, but I wiped it down with Ballistol when I pulled the plastic off. I fondled it quite a bit yesterday evening, and couldn't find any negatives for this thread.

Waiting on rings now. They should arrive with the next batch of rain. Our range is covered. Think I'll live a little and see how she shoots in the rain. I'll post back if it rusts on the way home.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

+1

I have had several since 2000 including the Whitetail Hunter. It's too bad they have gone up in price.

Last edited by StrayHorse; 12/18/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Even if they are all $725, there's nothing I'd buy instead of.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I don't like that they don't fit me very well. The stock is a milk jug and feels like one too. I've owned 3 and only one of them was a tack driver. I also don't like the one action size for everything. In the grand scheme of things, that part probably doesn't mean anything...but I don't like it.

Before the bumped the prices way up, they did have some appeal because it is a well build gun for the most part. But when the prices got raised up...there are other guns that appeal to me more.

With that price increase could have came a true short action and/or a hinged floorplate for those of us that want options.

Given an short action and hinged floorplate or blind mag I would be all over one.

Damn sure good shooters but those are the things that kill it for me.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not just stainless Tikkas that rust. I went on a Nilgai quest with James and Roger in Tx, and took my 338 Fed with Douglas stainless barrel. Walking the mud flat on the inner coastal waterway was enough to lightly pit the barrel, despite a few squirts of Remoil (All I had with me) before and after the hike to the island. I used some fine steel wool and oil when I got home ans was able to "almost" get rid of all the pitting, but rust on stainless is not a Tikka exclusive.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

With that price increase could have came a true short action and/or a hinged floorplate for those of us that want options.

Given an short action and hinged floorplate or blind mag I would be all over one.

I love the short action complaint.

You’re talking about less than 1/2” and four ounces. Like it matters.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

P

You are correct, it's peanuts.

Just preferences of mine and when I buy a rifle I am the only one I have to please.

To each his own.

Like I say, I just like options.

Never know, I could drink the Kool Aid and change my mind by the weekend, maybe sooner, nothing is set in stone.

That Super Lite in the classifieds sure is a nice looking rig.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/18/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P

But the plastic trigger guards. I mean....damn man, I can’t tell you how many trigger guards I’ve broken over the years. I puke them ALL the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long action for all chamberings, including 223, just bugs the heck out of me. But then again....I hate long actions in any flavor.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P

It matters. Is it only 1/2" longer bolt pull for a 223?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’d be curious how many Tikka owners have found themselves inconvenienced by the lack of a true short action. And how many people who criticize the Tikka for this buy Remington 700’s in 223 when the Howa Mini Action is available?

I get it, though. It’s a cost saving measure. I held off on buying a Tikka for a while because I didn’t want to feel like I had a budget gun. When I finally got a Tikka and took it to the range, all the little things stopped bothering me pretty quick.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have several tikkas, all in SA chamberings, including a 223. Action length doesn’t bother me, though if I were building a 223 I’d use something else in a true short action for sure. It’s a preference thing and I won’t argue with anyone that doesn’t like the one size fits all action length

Bitching about the trigger guard or the detachable mags make very little sense to me though. They work great, No way I’d rather have a blind mag or floor plate from a functionality perspective .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
I’d be curious how many Tikka owners have found themselves inconvenienced by the lack of a true short action. And how many people who criticize the Tikka for this buy Remington 700’s in 223 when the Howa Mini Action is available?

I get it, though. It’s a cost saving measure. I held off on buying a Tikka for a while because I didn’t want to feel like I had a budget gun. When I finally got a Tikka and took it to the range, all the little things stopped bothering me pretty quick.

I know it's a personal thing. I can't like Rem 700 long actions. No real reason why. Rem 700 SA 223's and 223AI's? I'll love them all day long. Never tried a Howa Mini...but I don't have a need for it. Wanted to try a Fieldcraft 223 action, but I don't guess that will ever come to fruition. I've had several Tikka's, including 1-8" 223 lite, 1-8" 223 SS Superlite, 25-06, and 260. They all went down the road, because I have an aversion to LA's. But again....it's just me. And I can't get over it. Give me short action....or nothing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d be curious how many Tikka owners have found themselves inconvenienced by the lack of a true short action.

NOT I !! I don't have or WANT a S A for any reason.
BobinNH, " I like long legged cartridges ". Hear ! Hear !

Bitching about the trigger guard or the detachable mags make very little sense to me though.
They work great, No way I’d rather have a blind mag or floor plate from a functionality perspective .

I have divested myself of ALL blind magazines but 1 ! You have NO access to the mag well W/O removing the
barrelled action FROM the stock.

D Ms ( CLIPS ) have advantages. Blind mags have NONE. to me.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/18/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was shooting one day and a bystander was laughing because I was shooting 223 ammo in a 30-06 gun and was ashamed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was shooting one day and a bystander was laughing because I was shooting 223 ammo in a 30-06 gun and was ashamed.

Yeah, the laughing turned to tears of joy (I think) from my competitors, after I shot a perfect at the last centerfire shoot:

I was sure wishing my CTR was a short action that day....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s gotta sting a little.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, the laughing turned to tears of joy (I think) from my competitors, after I shot a perfect at the last centerfire shoot:

Good shooting Lawrence. Are those shoots open to the public?

Jason

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I was sure wishing my CTR was a short action that day....

The CTRs are absolute hammers, I shot my only honest 0.25" 5 shot group with mine. I had a .308, if it was a Creed-Bro I'd still have it. I'm sure I'll get one in the future, truth be told, I like the CTR/TRG mags better than standard AICS (Gasp!).

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/18/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I dislike short action rifles because they don’t allow you to mount a decent scope correctly in most cases.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I get a case of the s hits when I even see the name written!! crazy eek

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Is that from actually using one ?

It might cure you .

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s called the Shikkas. I read it in a medical journal. Basically what happens is people over exert themselves trying to get junk rifles to shoot, then some punk shows up with a box of Corlokts and is dialed in with 3-4 rounds. There is no known cure for the Shikkas. Therapy is basically getting oneself familiar with the cause, then easing into recovery.

Tikkaphobia is contagious. “Tik-Phobes” can be found around older gun shops, usually in a corner surrounded by antique rifles and mumbling.

There’s also been outbreaks in Alaska, according to recent studys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the shortcomings listed in this thread (and most like it) are either: a) personal preference; or, b) overblown speculation based on hearsay about a couple of occurrences. I know, I know, we will have couple of people who will say, "B.S. I've personally had five trigger guards break (or bolt shrouds explode or magazines lost, blah, blah, blah)".

I don't play the lottery; but, I should. I've never had a Remington bolt handle fall off, never had a Kimber Montana that wasn't accurate beyond my capabilities, never had a Tikka (everything in this thread) occur, never had a Glock Kaboom, never had a 1911 grip safety interfere or fail in any way, never had a problem with a Winchester model 70 irrespective of its manufacturing location, never had a problem with any of my non-JM stamped Marlins, etc., etc. I know these things and others have definitely occurred. And I won't call anybody who claims such here a liar. However, most of these issues get overblown by knuckleheads like me on internet forums like this one espousing for or against things which are or aren't our own personal preference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Most of the shortcomings listed in this thread (and most like it) are either: a) personal preference; or, b) overblown speculation based on hearsay about a couple of occurrences. I know, I know, we will have couple of people who will say, "B.S. I've personally had five trigger guards break (or bolt shrouds explode or magazines lost, blah, blah, blah)".

I don't play the lottery; but, I should. I've never had a Remington bolt handle fall off, never had a Kimber Montana that wasn't accurate beyond my capabilities, never had a Tikka (everything in this thread) occur, never had a Glock Kaboom, never had a 1911 grip safety interfere or fail in any way, never had a problem with a Winchester model 70 irrespective of its manufacturing location, never had a problem with any of my non-JM stamped Marlins, etc., etc. I know these things and others have definitely occurred. And I won't call anybody who claims such here a liar. However, most of these issues get overblown by knuckleheads like me on internet forums like this one espousing for or against things which are or aren't our own personal preference.

Ditto.

And I haven’t been eating by a wild animal chasing me with a PF Winchester.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

P

It matters to me. It's something I said I don't like and also stated that it really doesn't amount to anything. I just don't like it. Whether it's on a Tikka, Savage, or anything else. He asked for reasons why we don't like them and I listed them.

Tikka owners seem to have some soft skin when it comes to their guns. There are plenty of guns I'd pick a Tikka over. But there are plenty I'll take over a Tikka too. It's nice to have options.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I haven't experienced the accuracy from them that others have. Maybe it's because the stock doesn't fit me well at all. I have outstanding accuracy from Kimbers and M70's that others don't experience, and those fit me like a glove.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tikka owners seem to have some soft skin when it comes to their guns. There are plenty of guns I'd pick a Tikka over. But there are plenty I'll take over a Tikka too. It's nice to have options.

I haven't noticed a lot of defensiveness in this thread. But it is natural for people to get emotionally invested in things they've spend a lot of money on. Can you think of a gun whose owners don't get defensive about their guns? I'd imagine if I started a thread asking for criticisms of the Remington 700 or the Winchester 70, there would be plenty of hurt feelings.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

grin grin

LMAO

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tikka's are the Keto Diet of guns.

The people that have them MUST try to convince you that there is nothing better on the planet. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You know how you can tell guy shoots a Tikka?

They'll tell you within a minute of conversation. laugh laugh laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by colorado11

I haven't noticed a lot of defensiveness in this thread. But it is natural for people to get emotionally invested in things they've spend a lot of money on. Can you think of a gun whose owners don't get defensive about their guns? I'd imagine if I started a thread asking for criticisms of the Remington 700 or the Winchester 70, there would be plenty of hurt feelings.

See!!

grin grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It’s called the Shikkas. I read it in a medical journal. Basically what happens is people over exert themselves trying to get junk rifles to shoot, then some punk shows up with a box of Corlokts and is dialed in with 3-4 rounds. There is no known cure for the Shikkas. Therapy is basically getting oneself familiar with the cause, then easing into recovery.

Tikkaphobia is contagious. “Tik-Phobes” can be found around older gun shops, usually in a corner surrounded by antique rifles and mumbling.

There’s also been outbreaks in Alaska, according to recent studys.

laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The people that have them MUST try to convince you that there is nothing better on the planet. grin

And for the love of all that is holy, do not ever get a Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor owner started.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

And for the love of all that is holy, do not ever get a Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor owner started.

Don't tell em a Ruger American is cheaper and is available in short action and may damn well outshoot the Tikkler. Probably won't rust as easily either since it didn't take the boat to get here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Don't tell em a Ruger American is cheaper and is available in short action and may damn well outshoot the Tikkler. Probably won't rust as easily either since it didn't take the boat to get here.

Oh they definitely rust!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Hey zone, I'm not one of those. I have 2 Tikkas, T3Lite SS & T3XLite SS and I DO like them.
However I readily admit there are BETTER rifles on the market. I'm just NOT willing to pay the $$$$ difference.

I'd Love to have an older Colt Sauer in 1 of 3 diff cartridges.
I'd also love to have an older Sako and EVEN a Wby MkV in NOT a Wby caliber ( I know cartridge ).
There are others as well but they ALL cost lots more $$$$.

IMO for the $$$$ it's hard to beat a Tikka T3 Lite SS. In 16 yrs mine has not rusted.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Hey zone, I'm not one of those. I have 2 Tikkas, T3Lite SS & T3XLite SS and I DO like them.
However I readily admit there are BETTER rifles on the market. I'm just NOT willing to pay the $$$$ difference.

I'd also love to have an older Sako and EVEN a Wby MkV in NOT a Wby caliber ( I know cartridge ).

IMO for the $$$$ it's hard to beat a Tikka T3 Lite SS. In 16 yrs mine has not rusted.

Jerry

I know. I’m just makin funnies. I never had any rust on mine either.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve seen a lot of Tikkas..... burst a lot of “Custom Rifle” bubbles...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love’em.....hate’em....I don’t think there’s another rifle that you can pull off the rack with a random box of ammo and have the first 3 shots go sub MOA.

Seen it...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had one, a sst T3 in 300 wsm that came with a Nikon scope from a local pawn shop for $425. It shot around an inch with a box of the cheap federal Deer Thug ammo, but recoil was significant so I sold it and the remaining ammo. Things I liked were the trigger was very crisp, the action was smooth and it balanced well. In a lesser caliber I would have kept it.

CK
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Good shooting Lawrence. Are those shoots open to the public?

Jason

Yeah Jason. Send me a PM and I'll get you some info. If I remember, you are way southwest of me. I'd love to get some more guys in on these shoots. Some of these guys are great shooters. One guy in particular loves bringing out his old steven's 200 223 rem and laying in 5/8" 10 shot groups on the x ring. You really got to be on your game to shoot against that old sob!!!! Truth be told, I really don't like taking my CTR to those shoots, it's more of a longrange hammer. I will continiously hit the 2" diameter plate at 400 yards with it and the 140 gr. ELD match handloads I run. My other CTR is not quite as accurate, but it still does pretty good:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I haven't experienced the accuracy from them that others have. Maybe it's because the stock doesn't fit me well at all. I have outstanding accuracy from Kimbers and M70's that others don't experience, and those fit me like a glove.

Don't feel bad tzone. I have a buddy that can't shot a Tikka to save his life:

We've all seen guys at the range with this problem. It happens. Then there's me and my other buddy (Mark) with the same rifle:
............ so you can't blame the poor accuracy from the groups (3 shot groups) above, shot by my buddy Troy.... This would also explain why some guys really prefer shooting 3 shot groups... When a guy says, 3 shot groups are good enough, they are usually shooters like my buddy Troy.... Nuff said.. He does shoot the hell out of deer though wink..... Just sayin.. I don't think I've ever had another 5.9 pound rifle shoot this good:
Just to confirm the rifle is pretty consistent.... I'm hanging on to this one.. I have nothing at all to complain about with this T3x Superlite...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Troy is yanking the trigger.

Load it for him, don’t let him look, empty chamber, watch his form. He’ll jump at the click.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Took out my T3X lite Creed today and tried some of the factory Eld-x ammo for the first time. First 5 shot group at 100 yards came in at .57” and then the first 5 shot group at 200 yards was 1.27”. At 200 yards 4 of the 5 shots measured .82”!

I have 4 T3X’s and all are crazy accurate but this Creed is amazing! I have a Mcmillan on my 308 SL but I think I truly like the factory stock better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sally Struthers has a commercial out for those suffering from T.D.S. Tikka De-Range Syndrome. Not to be confused with that other “TDS”

For just $0.87 a day...you can help a Remington owner cope with the loss of accuracy and confidence. That’s one 30-06 round....One round per day could help bring joy to someone suffering.

Won’t....you....help?

Please call 1-800-NOM-OTDS.

Your donation is greatly appreciated.

Once a month we’ll send you targets showing the progress of the TDS candidate you sponsor. Please call today and we’ll also include a certificate of achievement, suitable for framing.

Won’t you call?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sally Struthers has a commercial out for those suffering from T.D.S. Tikka De-Range Syndrome. Not to be confused with that other “TDS”

For just $0.87 a day...you can help a Remington owner cope with the loss of accuracy and confidence. That’s one 30-06 round....One round per day could help bring joy to someone suffering.

Won’t....you....help?

Once a month we’ll send you targets showing the progress of the TDS candidate you sponsor. Please call today and we’ll also include a certificate of achievement, suitable for framing.

Won’t you call?

smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jeeper

Won’t....you....help?

Won’t you call?

smile

16 - you ain’t got enuff to do. lol

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just ordered another Tikka, a T3x Varmint in .223. Blued, but I’m okay with it. $681 from Eurooptic.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe I'm too late, maybe not.

Serious, no joke.

I got an email today: Locked & Loaded.com

Tikka T3X Lite SS 6.5 Creed , 24.3" bll

$ 499.99

Great Buy, Great Rifle - Not Interested in Cartridge

There It Is !!

I don't know anything about L & L .com !! Check them out first.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Jerry

Lol

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,014
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.