Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Wondering if anyone here has used the Bergara Ridge rifle. Seems like an interesting rifle and I read a lot of good things. I'd like a 7mm rem mag, and the extra heft of the heavier barrel contour seems like it might do me some good when it comes to recoil. Overall the weight is supposed to be 7.9 lbs.

I'm also considering the Bergara Hunter with the green stock. It's not exactly light either at 7.1 lbs.

I'm curious about what benefits I might get from the heavier Ridge rifle. Besides reduced recoil with greater weight, will the heavier barrel make much of a difference in accuracy?

Also, I'm curious about the soft-touch stock on both models. I'm wondering how they'll hold up over time, since I've heard about similar stocks from Sako and Browning getting tacky over time.

If anyone has any experience with the Ridge or some other insight into this stuff, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sportsman’s has them. Best to fondle prior to purchasing. I like the stocks and overall build. I think the Ridge is threaded.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SDblackhills
Wondering if anyone here has used the Bergara Ridge rifle. Seems like an interesting rifle and I read a lot of good things. I'd like a 7mm rem mag, and the extra heft of the heavier barrel contour seems like it might do me some good when it comes to recoil. Overall the weight is supposed to be 7.9 lbs.

I'm also considering the Bergara Hunter with the green stock. It's not exactly light either at 7.1 lbs.

I'm curious about what benefits I might get from the heavier Ridge rifle. Besides reduced recoil with greater weight, will the heavier barrel make much of a difference in accuracy?

Also, I'm curious about the soft-touch stock on both models. I'm wondering how they'll hold up over time, since I've heard about similar stocks from Sako and Browning getting tacky over time.

If anyone has any experience with the Ridge or some other insight into this stuff, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I had a Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Zero complaints. Quickly found a 3/4" hunting load with RL16 and 120 NBT. Action is smooth. No real issues with the stock. I like the feel just fine, but it was only 3 years old or so when I sold it. I only sold because it was a bit redundant in my rifle lineup. I bought the Ridge in 6.5 as a replacement and dropped it in a Grayboe Terrain stock to have a heavier rifle for plinking that could be hunted if I choose. Topped it with a SWFA 3-15X42. The first two groups I shot at 500 yards were both 2.5". I did put a TriggerTech in the Ridge, but the factory trigger was excellent right out of the box.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I read the action is a 700 clone with some changes. Can anyone tell me what those changes are and how significant they are? Are there any weak points on a Bergara that aren't present on a 700?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a very lightly used Ridge in 300WM just over a year ago. It came with a 20 MOA rail from Precison Hardcore and a muzzle brake from MBM (Nathan) in Boise. It will shoot 168gr Nosler BTH easily under one inch and 190gr Berger VLD at about 0.3 inches for 5 shots! It is heavier, but that helps with the recoil. With the muzzle brake on (it a 2 piece so I can easily put on/take off) it shoots like a 243. Pretty much everything is compatible with the Rem 700 and many have compared it to the rifles Rem was turning out through the 1970s. The trigger is good out of the box, nothing custom but for a factory trigger its very good and adjustable (has to be pulled out of stock). I liked the 300WM enough I bought a 270Win a couple months ago. One thing is for sure, follow the break in procedure. Many will argue its not necessary, but I followed on both of mine and they keep shooting tighter with each range and cleaning session. With that in mind, throw some cheap ammo through it for the first 55 shots (recommended break in period) then work on loads. The 270 is shooting easily under an inch and I haven't tinkered with the loads much at all to this point.

I think the difference in the bolt is the Bergara is coned while the Rem is not. The bolt/action is smooth right out of the box. I haven't found any weak points to me at this point in either rifle and no break-down of the stock coating.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just recently purchased a bergara hunter in 30 06. It appears to be a handsome little rifle with a super smooth action and really light trigger. In fact I think that the trigger is too light for my taste because it breaks at just under 2 pounds. I have had it go off when i'm trying to put my gloved hands in the trigger guard.

As to accuracy it does seem to shoot about one inch groups with Hornady 150 grain American whitetail ammunition. I have tried other handloads in it however i'm having trouble getting better accuracy than that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They have adjustable triggers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.