Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Fotis: I really like my 240. As always very accurate and surprisingly LIGHT. Speaking of light, the new 340 Weathermark I just purchased is also well balanced and very light as compared to say, an Accumark.

I have a 240 weatherby Accumark which weighs 7.3 ounces, it shoots old Southgate 100 grain factory spitzers into a very tiny group. I will run Barnes 80 TTSX for deer thru it next month.
Have you weighed your Weathermark? I would be interested to see what it weighs in at , any Mark V I have bought in the past with a synthetic stock weighed 8+ pounds. My 7 WBY Accumark weighs 8lb.10 ounces but it has a HS precision stock which is an upgrade over the B&C stock they put in later Accumarks, it is a hammer as well.

BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have not weighed it, but all I can tell you it feels significantly lighter than my AM or my wood stocked MKV Deluxes.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve had several, all shot well.

this.

Their custom Shop is building me a backcountry 240 bee with their new 7.5 twist barrel as we speak. 6 lug

backcountry being a vanguard s2 correct?
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not Fotis but it is a Mark V

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Fotis: I really like my 240. As always very accurate and surprisingly LIGHT. Speaking of light, the new 340 Weathermark I just purchased is also well balanced and very light as compared to say, an Accumark.

Several years ago, I have a 240 weatherby Accumark which weighs 7.3 ounces, it shoots old Southgate 100 grain factory spitzers into a very tiny group. I will run Barnes 80 TTSX for deer thru it next month.
Have you weighed your Weathermark? I would be interested to see what it weighs in at , any Mark V I have bought in the past with a synthetic stock weighed 8+ pounds. My 7 WBY Accumark weighs 8lb.10 ounces but it has a HS precision stock which is an upgrade over the B&C stock they put in later Accumarks, it is a hammer as well.

Several years ago, I tried the 80 TTSX in my .240 at 3,600 fps on a WT doe at 100+ yds. It blew out a huge chunk of the chest wall, went thru the chest cavity with only min. damage. Doe ran over a 150 yds in the wood, had to be found at night with flashlights. NOT impressive.

Some say mono's don't have a velocity ceiling. Not sure about that. A low S.D. bullet at hypervelocity can do some strange things on critters. I'm now shooting 100 NPT's in my .240, over MRP. Best group so far, 3 shot 1.7" at 400 yds. Doubt I could do that again, but the gun did it once. And, I know, three shot group...

It's an HS Precision SPL now in a Hunters Edge. Sold the 42 oz HS stock, Hunters Edge weighs 26 oz. I don't buy HS stuff, still remember the Lon Horiuchi fiasco, traded for this rifle, used. So, HS didn't make a dime off this deal. They do make good stuff, although I think their stocks are a bit heavy.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not Fotis but it is a Mark V

ok thabks elk. guess when i saw backcountry i thought vanguard as i didn't know the backcountry line crossed over to the mark 5's. i thought the backcountry was a vangard line exclusively.guess i shoulda been tipped off when he said 6 lug as the vanguard is 2 opposing lugs huh??
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OXN939
Looking closely at a Weathermark Mark V for a 6.5 Creed mid range hunting platform. Handled one in a different caliber recently, and everything looked top notch. Super smooth action, great trigger. One thing kinda caught my eye, though- apparently Weatherby intentionally engineers a contact point between the stock and barrel towards the front end of the stock to improve accuracy on light sporter profile rifles. I know they know more about barrel harmonics than I ever will, but this just seems counterintuitive to everything I've ever learned about rifles- any pressure on a barrel can and will change with different rests, conditions or temperatures and inconsistency equals loss of accuracy.

So, who has experience with this? Accurate across a range of conditions as is, or would it be worthwhile to consider removing that contact point and bedding the action to the stock instead? How far do I make it on the idiocy scale for entertaining the idea of taking a dremel to the stock of a $1200 rifle? Thanks for any input.

If I was going to spend $1,200 on a Weaatherby in 6.5 Creedmoor, I would spend it on a Weatherguard and whatever style of McM stock that works best for you.

I bought a V2 in 6.5 Creedmoor in 02/14 and it has been the most accurate straight out of the box regular production center-fire rifle that I've yet to own. Since then, I've bedded it in a McM Hunter styler stock and it shoots a little better than it did in the OEM stock.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Several years ago, I have a 240 weatherby Accumark which weighs 7.3 ounces, it shoots old Southgate 100 grain factory spitzers into a very tiny group. I will run Barnes 80 TTSX for deer thru it next month.

Several years ago, I tried the 80 TTSX in my .240 at 3,600 fps on a WT doe at 100+ yds. It blew out a huge chunk of the chest wall, went thru the chest cavity with only min. damage. Doe ran over a 150 yds in the wood, had to be found at night with flashlights. NOT impressive.

Some say mono's don't have a velocity ceiling. Not sure about that. A low S.D. bullet at hypervelocity can do some strange things on critters. I'm now shooting 100 NPT's in my .240, over MRP. Best group so far, 3 shot 1.7" at 400 yds. Doubt I could do that again, but the gun did it once. And, I know, three shot group...

It's an HS Precision SPL now in a Hunters Edge. Sold the 42 oz HS stock, Hunters Edge weighs 26 oz. I don't buy HS stuff, still remember the Lon Horiuchi fiasco, traded for this rifle, used. So, HS didn't make a dime off this deal. They do make good stuff, although I think their stocks are a bit heavy.

DF

Well, that is interesting, I wonder how it would do high shoulder? I will handload for this thing for next year but in the meantime looking for factory ammo for it right now. I have 3 boxes of 100 grain spitzers currently and 2 boxes of 80 grain TTSX coming in the next week. If I could find 100 grain partitions that would be the bullet of choice. I am hunting the middle of January next year so time is not on my side to handload it . Overall I am pretty pleased with both of my Accumarks. I have not weighed the stocks or even thought of replacing them. .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ok, since you guys have been talking about Weatherbys I will go ahead and ask a few questions. Rifle Looney Bug has been working on me for a while now, I am wanting a lite weight Left Hand rifle to deer hunt with. The MK V Weatherby Weatherguard LT and the MK V Backcountry have gotten my attention. I must add that I have never owned a Weatherby, but have kept up with them a little bit over the years.

I have mainly used Remington Model 700’s and Winchester Model 70’s along with Browning Bar MK II’s and even a Pre 64 Model 94 Winchester 30-30. All those rifles worked fine and I have taken dozens of deer with those, but there was one big problem. All of those rifles are right handed and I shoot long guns left handed because I am left eye dominant. Main reason for switching to a left hand rifle is, I am worried about a blown primer or case rupture in my face. Also I think I can become a little more proficient with the bolt handle being on the left side. One other thing is I am getting up in my years in my mid 50’s and I want to lighten things up some, but at the same time, not hunt with a rifle that’s going to loosen my fillings with excessive recoil.

Here is what I am looking for in a new left hand rifle for a reasonable price. I am seriously looking at a lite weight, durable rifle of great quality to whitetail deer hunt with, mainly in the woods. Most shots will be 100 yards to right under the tree stand type hunting, but there are opportunities for some 300 yard shots. The rifle must be stainless steel and coated in a weather resistant type finish like Cerakote or other durable coating. I take care of my guns, but I don’t want to worry about wiping down rifles at the end of the day to get rid of fingerprints, worrying about rust. The rifle would have to endure some rain and snowy type weather at times. Of course the rifle and caliber need to be able to take a whitetail deer in an efficient manner, eliminating lots of unnecessary tracking episodes. I understand bang flops are not guaranteed with any rifle of course.

Ok as far as caliber or cartridge, I know my choices are very limited to about three different ones since I am looking at a lite weight, left hand rifle. The 257 Weatherby, 300 Weatherby and the 6.5-300 Weatherby. If I recall correctly I think bigger rounds such as the 30-378 and 338-378 might be available in the Mark V Accumarks? Sorry not interested in those big thumpers. Out of the first three I mentioned I have been looking real hard at the 257 Weatherby and the 6.5-300 Weatherby. My first concern is about how much recoil there is with those two in a lit weight rifle. Also will the 6.5-300 Weatherby burn a barrel out a lot faster than the .257 Weatherby would. If I failed to mention earlier that whatever rifle I purchase will be mainly a hunting rifle with limited rounds fired each year, mainly checking loads and the scope zero, then off on the deer hunting trip with very few rounds fired while hunting. Other words I will not be sitting down at the bench shooting at targets on a regular basis. Am I correct in assuming that the Weatherby Vanguards are not offered in a left hand version?

Ok let’s talk about the durability of the Cerakote finish on the Weatherby rifles. How is it holding up on your rifle, do you ever discover any rust anywhere on your rifle? How does it compare durability wise to other finishes on other rifles such as the XCR finish on the Remington Model 700’s?

Last but not least, any cons or pros related to the Weatherby Rifles? I have been looking at other rifles from Christensen Arms, Cooper Arms, Fierce Arms and Nosler. Those companies offer a wider selection of cartridges and calibers in left hand rifles than Weatherby does, but are they built as well as the Weatherby Rifle. I do see some negative reviews on the other rifles I mentioned, time to time, it could be someone gets a lemon now and then. It seems the Weatherby Mark V is a very strong built action, what makes it any better than a Cooper Arms, Fierce or Nosler? Nine bolt lugs compared to two or three lugs and a 54 degree bolt throw?

Sorry about getting long winded, any input from you guys would be appreciated.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always rub out the contact point. Dropped the POI about 7 inches at 100 recently on a 257 Mk V.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/13/19.

1Minute
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Have you considered a Tikka?

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Shoulder shots will put’em down quicker, but busts up the meat. The 80 TTSX at 240 speed will probably trash the shoulders. My 26 Nosler will bust up stuff, 120 TTSX at 3,450.

I much prefer the 100 NPT in the 240.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Shoulder shots will put’em down quicker, but busts up the meat. The 80 TTSX at 240 speed will probably trash the shoulders. My 26 Nosler will bust up stuff, 120 TTSX at 3,450.

DF

100 sounds like the best bet if the 80 is that destructive.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

100 sounds like the best bet if the 80 is that destructive.

That’s my take. Wouldn’t have thought, but it is what it is.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy

I have looked at the Tikkas, but they are lacking some features, that I prefer such as a floor plate and a weather resistant coating such as Cerakote. I know a person could buy one and have it cerakoted or paint it himself, but I want a rifle that's ready to hunt hard, right out of the box. I don't know about how much a problem it is or how true it is, but I keep reading on the internet about stainless Tikka rifles rusting even after some pre treatment such as oiling the gun. Of course you know how the internet is, there is a bunch of bullsh%t flying around, keyboard cowboys get big and say about anything. I realize stainless on about any rifle can rust, that's why I want a little extra protection on it such as Cerakote. I own two model 700 right hand XCR rifles that have the Trinyte finish on them, I have never seen the first sign of rust on those rifles after hunting in wet harsh conditions. Also I might add that those rifle don't get wiped down everyday after being in the field on dry days, there is no need to. Remington made those XCR rifles in a left hand version years ago, but I failed to act on buying one.

After saying all that, I wouldn't completely rule out a stainless Tikka in the future, but I have my sights set on other rifles right now.

NEVER GIVE UP
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good point about stainless Tikkas. I hunt in Oregon, where it’s known to rain from time to time. My rifles are stainless Tikkas and I’ve never had an issue.

Buy what makes you happy. These days it’s tough to go wrong.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BIGR
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy

I have looked at the Tikkas, but they are lacking some features, that I prefer such as a floor plate and a weather resistant coating such as Cerakote. I know a person could buy one and have it cerakoted or paint it himself, but I want a rifle that's ready to hunt hard, right out of the box. I don't know about how much a problem it is or how true it is, but I keep reading on the internet about stainless Tikka rifles rusting even after some pre treatment such as oiling the gun. Of course you know how the internet is, there is a bunch of bullsh%t flying around, keyboard cowboys get big and say about anything. I realize stainless on about any rifle can rust, that's why I want a little extra protection on it such as Cerakote. I own two model 700 right hand XCR rifles that have the Trinyte finish on them, I have never seen the first sign of rust on those rifles after hunting in wet harsh conditions. Also I might add that those rifle don't get wiped down everyday after being in the field on dry days, there is no need to. Remington made those XCR rifles in a left hand version years ago, but I failed to act on buying one.

After saying all that, I wouldn't completely rule out a stainless Tikka in the future, but I have my sights set on other rifles right now.

I have owned/own 4 Tikka T3x/T3 all stainless as well as 2 Sako A7 stainless and never saw the first bit of rust. There is no rifle made under 1k that ready to hunt out of the box like a Tikka. You have to jack with every last rifle except a Tikka. If you are that paranoid about rust then cerakote the Tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MK V back country

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
MK V back country

What do you think of the Backcountry Fotis, especially the stock and weight? How does the stock compare shape and slimness wise to the MKV Ultralightweight (which I have lots of experience with)? I have a guy who wants to do a partial trade with one, very few rounds fired through it, 257 Wby. Never owned a 257 Wby, and since you wont sell me your MKV (lol), I’m thinking of trying the Backcountry. It’s either the Backcountry or a Browning BLR in 7mm-08 that he’s offering as part of the deal...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will advise you when I get it. 30 more days

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
757 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.