Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can break the firearm down it's easy to pack and cheaper.Also less conspicuous.You can get packing material free at any place that handle packages (stores),that's just about anywhere.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like to take the action out of the stock and use a smaller box to make it look less like a rifle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just a tip, if you are going to use UPS keep it under 48". You automatically pay more if its over.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Just a tip, if you are going to use UPS keep it under 48". You automatically pay more if its over.

this ^^^^^^^^^^ exactly

UPS will be the first one to 'audit' the size of the package......

then will re bill the UPS account for additional shipping charges

so.....keep pkg size as small as possible.....or use USPS

A cheap soft case securly packed inside a box.....or.....

shotgun or for example Marlin 39 taken down and both pieces wrapped separately

Same with a bolt rifle separate stock from barreled action.....send both to FFL to save ship cost

Never had to make a claim......but yes insurance.....USPS will beat you up on this as the others

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Watching

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Whatchaketchemon
Go buy a cheapo hard case and ship it in that. Wrap the case in shipping paper.

I use wire ties, to make sure someone can't just open the snaps. Use plenty, don't clip them till you get to the post office. Sometimes they want them clipped, sometimes they don't. Let them decide what they want.

Why does the post office know what’s in the box?

This fact always generates some blowback here on The ‘Fire, but it’s still a fact: Per BATFE regulation, the shipper (in this case the seller of the rifle) must disclose to the common carrier (UPS, USPS, Fedex or whomever) that they are shipping a firearm.

Last edited by mrchongo; 12/15/19.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mrchongo
This fact always generates some blowback here on The ‘Fire, but it’s still a fact: Per BATFE regulation, the shipper (in this case the seller of the rifle) must disclose to the common carrier (UPS, USPS, Fedex or whomever) that they are shipping a firearm.

mrchongo,

Always happy to learn - where do you see said requirement for usps?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

“May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Last Reviewed August 31, 2015”

Last edited by AKwolverine; 12/16/19. Reason: “”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Just shipped one Friday went down to local gun store got a factory box and over box. Keep the package as small as possible to reduce shipping costs. $57 USPS with $1200 insurance AK to WA . You cant aford to use UPS here in Alaska.

One to the midwest recently was almost identical in cost.
After a recent goat rope with usps and a damage claim, I’m really starting to question whether the insurance is worth it.

Insurance is a scam. Always, always a nightmare from what I’ve seen

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

mrchongo,

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

mrchongo,

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2

18 USC Section 923 paragraph (e)
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

So it depends on whether we call USPS a contract carrier. Personally, I err on the side of caution and say ‘yes’. Your mileage may vary.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Whatchaketchemon
Go buy a cheapo hard case and ship it in that. Wrap the case in shipping paper.
I use wire ties, to make sure someone can't just open the snaps. Use plenty, don't clip them till you get to the post office. Sometimes they want them clipped, sometimes they don't. Let them decide what they want.
Why does the post office know what’s in the box?
WRONG.

Attached Images

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

So it depends on whether we call USPS a contract carrier. Personally, I err on the side of caution and say ‘yes’. Your mileage may vary.

I guess that is the crux of the matter.

https://www.atf.gov/alcohol-tobacco...king-pact-act-information-guide/download

“2. “Common Carrier” means any person—other than a local service or the
United States Postal Service (USPS)—that holds itself out to the public as a provider for hire for the transportation of merchandise by water, land, or air. This applies whether or not the person actually operates the vessel, vehicle, or aircraft that provides the transportation between a port or place and a port or place in the U.S.”

To my read, it seems the ATF does not consider them to be so.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Cheap plastic case, it will have its own box

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
ULINE.com

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uline is expensive, but those are the boxes I use. I cut them down to fit whatever rifle I'm shipping after wrapping it in bubble wrap or foam or whatever I happen to have on hand. Never lost one. I usually use UPS insured - print a label online and drop it off at the terminal.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
I put it in a box in a box, or at least a padded case in a box. If you think you tapped it and added enough packing material, think some more and add some more.

I order shipping boxes from U-Line.

this . u-line

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very nice! Thank you both for educating me on the matter. That’ll save some novice postal employees some consternation!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use an 8" x 8" box by however long you need it, wrap the rifle or shotgun in bubble wrap, then roll it/pieces up in a cheap moving blanket from Uhaul ($3ish), fold the ends and slide in the box. The two pieces(shotgun) or rifle is well protected, makes no discernable noise if dropped, doesn't readily puncture the outer box and is hard to determine what is inside the box. I use 3M banding tape, with the filament, wrap the circumference across the shorter sides after closing each end properly and then make several circumference wraps evenly across the longer side. It's actually very sturdy, almost impossible to destroy and usually runs about $25 shipped and insured thru the post office.

I have sent several rifles this way and a couple of shotguns and the receiving FFL reported that everything arrived intact and undamaged, a couple were actually impressed with the system.

I came up with it after I returned a rifle and tried to make it as sturdy and impossible to damage and yet the goons at the post office were able to make it happen.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do what several here do. I go to Wal Mart and buy a brand new hard case. I remove and bubble wrap the bolt. I place both into the hard case. Then I zip tie each of the four padlock holes. The buyer appreciates the new case. I also insure every shipment. So the insurance and the hard case give me peace of mind. Contrary to what most people think, it is the obligation of the buyer to get it to the shipper. You ship and you don't insure and the rifle is lost or stolen, you need to refund the buyer's money. The exception to that would be if you are one of those who advertises as part of your sale, "insurance is on the buyer/at the buyer's discretion". If that's your world, have at it. Everybody just be clear up front.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.