Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I consume quite a bit of gun, ammo and shooting related information. The 22 Magnum enjoys reasonable popularity. A common complaint is that 22 magnums aren't accurate. I submit it's that accurate ammo is not made for the 22 Magnum. Don't get me wrong, I can find a particular load that works well for me, but it's going to take much more sampling than it would with a 22LR.

It seems to me that shooters would flock to match grade 22 magnum ammo. They certainly do for match grade 22LR ammo. Do any of our folks who know the industry well know why no manufacturer is tackling it?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Match 22LR is deliberately subsonic IIRC, and people actually shoot matches with it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Match 22LR is deliberately subsonic IIRC, and people actually shoot matches with it.

I get the whole match aspect of it and understand that the sound barrier matters. Is it not possible to manufacture 22 magnum ammo to tighter standards/tolerances in order to achieve a greater level of accuracy.

Eley makes a supersonic load that while it isn't "match" it can be relied upon to be appreciably more accurate than high velocity Federal, Remington, Winchester and CCI.

17 HMR rimfire ammo isn't match, but can be relied upon to deliver near match grade accuracy. It's supersonic.

Can the processes that lead to the Eley HV and the 17 HMR accuracy not be applied to 22 Magnum?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It could also be how the chambers are dimensioned.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I hadn't considered that. It certainly matters with 22LR.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I have a Winchester 94 22 mag that will shoot 1/2" at least at 50 yards with CCI, Federal and Winchester ammo. That's good enough for me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Match 17 HMR and 22 Magnum Rimfire, Why make such a thing when neither are allowed in any rimfire matches. Make a higher grade match rimfire that will cost more plus cannot be proven match grade due to no matches available, makes lots of sense.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
High quality bullets in 22mag ammo have been made in the past. Is it not made anymore?

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Match 17 HMR and 22 Magnum Rimfire, Why make such a thing when neither are allowed in any rimfire matches. Make a higher grade match rimfire that will cost more plus cannot be proven match grade due to no matches available, makes lots of sense.

I thought I cleared it up earlier. My use of the word match grade may not have been the best choice of words. I used it in generic sense. Kinda like I buy "Match" bullets for my centerfire loads to try to optimize accuracy even though I don't shoot matches.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have a Winchester 94 22 mag that will shoot 1/2" at least at 50 yards with CCI, Federal and Winchester ammo. That's good enough for me

You have a jewel there. Each of my 3 22 magnums have exactly one load that they love, but it took some serious experimenting to get there. Much less so with 22 LRs and 17 HMR.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like their might be something available https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_ylt=Awr9Fq3NDPlds0YA3gRpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByZDNzZTI1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?q=.22+mag+ammo&v_t=loki-tb-sb

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Darn. Mine wont shoot CCI worth a hoot but is OK with Win or Rem. Federal had good 22 mag hp ammo years ago until they greatly expanded the hollow and now some start tumbling after 80-100 yds from my gun.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/17/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baltz526
Looks like their might be something available https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_ylt=Awr9Fq3NDPlds0YA3gRpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByZDNzZTI1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?q=.22+mag+ammo&v_t=loki-tb-sb

Outstanding. That kinda makes my point. If you wanted to ring every possible bit of accuracy out of a 22 magnum, which one of those would you start with?

Now take that one you would start with and ask yourself if you would start with it or an "enhanced accuracy" (since using the word match is verboten) load that costs a little more. I feel compelled to qualify the "enhanced accuracy" language. I am not glued to it as a descriptor. We can call it whatever you want to. But it would refer to a 22 magnum load that had some Eley type QC applied to its manufacture.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_eley_101405/99277

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Because 22 mags are hunting rifles. People get WAY too hung up on groups. Unless you are shooting some kind of match, who gives a hoot about groups.

I need my rifles to hit what I'm aiming at. That's what rifles are for.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I thought I cleared it up earlier. My use of the word match grade may not have been the best choice of words. I used it in generic sense. Kinda like I buy "Match" bullets for my centerfire loads to try to optimize accuracy even though I don't shoot matches.

Well there is a bloke named Russell Reed out of Washington state that you should look up. Shoots a GFD/CAAPS 17 HMR into what he says is 2-3 inch groups @450 with handloaded HMR using Lehigh defense bullets. Looks like you can buy a standard GFD 17 HMR upper for 750-800 bucks that supposedly shoots factory close to .75 @100 consistently. They are also supposedly developing a 22 mag copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaZZCduZKD8

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with you. I think the .17 HMR revived a bit of interest in the .22 WMR, but the perception, in my opinion, was that the .22 WMR, like the .22 WRF before it, was a "farmer's cartridge," whose best use was keeping loaded behind the door for the pests that needed dispatching in a grain bin or barn at 20 paces. My dad had his father's .22 special for just that use but often said if it needed replacing he'd buy a .22 magnum. It's actually a useful varminting cartridge, and worthy of good quality ammunition in a good rifle.

Last edited by 300_savage; 12/17/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for years i sneered at the 22mag because of poor accuracy.
couple years ago i got a 22mag ar that will shoot a 1 inch 15 shot group at 100 yards no matter what brand ammo i feed it. even mixed and matched in one magazine.
this rifle turned me into a 22mag fiend. ups shows up and the wife says" more ammo?"
i had and shot winchester 1890's in wrf for years and thought they were the cats meow. got the ar and sold the wrf's
ymmv

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Many consider ACCURACY 'little itty, bitty' groups.

My definition of ACCURACY is 'me being able to hit what the [bleep] I'm aiming at'.

YMMV

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Doing that once can be chalked up to luck.
Doing it repeatedly is the ultimate goal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
for years i sneered at the 22mag because of poor accuracy.
couple years ago i got a 22mag ar that will shoot a 1 inch 15 shot group at 100 yards no matter what brand ammo i feed it. even mixed and matched in one magazine.
this rifle turned me into a 22mag fiend. ups shows up and the wife says" more ammo?"
i had and shot winchester 1890's in wrf for years and thought they were the cats meow. got the ar and sold the wrf's
ymmv

What kind of rifle is it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.