Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has some tight regulations on these private herds that include ear tagging and routine testing for CWD. So far CWD hasn't been found in Idaho. Private elk must wear brightly colored ear tags so if they escape, they can be told from wild elk. The IDFG is doing all they can to prevent genes from private elk getting into the wild herd.
About 15 years ago, a bear tore down a fence at one of these ranches (different ranch than this one) and about 100 elk escaped. The owner didn't report it to the IDFG as was required by law. He wasn't having much luck herding them back in. He was reported to have been seen herding them into timber so they couldn't be seen. The governor declared a carte blanche on any elk wearing an ear tag. They could be shot at any time and in any number. The rancher threatened to sue any hunter who shot one. He would lose in court but the hunter would end up eating a bunch of legal fees. To get even, the rancher ran against the governor in the next election but failed. I never did hear whether the elk were captured or killed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Work out more than you think you need to.

Start breaking in a good stiff mountain boot tomorrow. 50 miles minimum, before you go.

I'm partial to the 300wsm for my big game, get comfortable shooting to 500, maybe 600 yards.

Soak it up. Agree in driving. The journey is as good as the destination.

THIS

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

About 10 years ago Utah found CWD in a batch of recently purchased elk from Michigan at the Utah Broadmouth ranch. The entire ranch was under quarantine and Rulon couldn’t move elk between his ranches for a while.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Man, what a gift!

I turn 50 this year as well. I think I'm going to leave this thread open on my laptop until May and see what happens! lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good Luck, Rooster!! smile. smile

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by okie john
Plenty of good advice thus far.

If you change your mind and decide to fly, then take a rifle chambered for a common factory cartridge and know your zero for commonly available factory loads in case the airline loses your bags.

Okie John

I always put at least one box of ammo in the same case or bag as the rifle. If the rifle makes it, the ammo does too.

Good idea. But I'm pretty sure that TSA and the airlines won't allow it.

They most certainly will. The ammo. needs to be in factory box and there will be no problems. We flew to AK. this past fall and that's where we put our ammo., in the gun cases.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
As Alpinecreek said, Rulon Jones owns that operation. He played several years for the Denver Broncos, and is a second cousin of mine, but I've only met him once at a family reunion. (Some of you may remember his dad, Larry Jones, also a very accomplished hunter in his own right). His properties are quite amazing from what I've seen and heard, and while I'm not really a high fence guy, I think these elk on a 5,000 acre ranch in the mountains of Idaho are going to require some actual hunting. Prepare accordingly and have fun!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
5000 acres is tad under 8 square miles. In rough country, that can be a lot of room. I've never been on that particular chunk of ground. It could be open like much of so. Idaho where you can easily glass for 2 miles, or it could be heavily timbered and convoluted like wrinkled up tin foil, also like much of so. Idaho. It can make for some nasty hiking.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get you a stair stepper, start fighting it, you’ll be glad you did.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by okie john
Plenty of good advice thus far.

If you change your mind and decide to fly, then take a rifle chambered for a common factory cartridge and know your zero for commonly available factory loads in case the airline loses your bags.

Okie John

I always put at least one box of ammo in the same case or bag as the rifle. If the rifle makes it, the ammo does too.

Good idea. But I'm pretty sure that TSA and the airlines won't allow it.

They most certainly will. The ammo. needs to be in factory box and there will be no problems. We flew to AK. this past fall and that's where we put our ammo., in the gun cases.

TRnCO is right. Flew to AK and back last fall with a rifle and a pistol and all of the ammo for each in a single locked hard case.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm turning 50 in July. I want to go!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The only downside to going on your first elk hunt when you're 50 is, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner..... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,486
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.