Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, its official, I have the greatest wife on planet Earth. She is well aware that my life long dream is to Elk hunt in the West. Growing up here in NH, I have been fortunate to have grown up in a 5 generation hunting family, and have taken deer, bear, moose, rabbit, grouse, and a handful of predators. My dream has always been to hunt the west for elk. Well, when I opened up my birthday card last week from my wife, I realized that dream will come true. I will be hunting with Broadmouth Canyon outfitters in Idaho, along with my lifelong best friend and hunting partner during the first week of September, 2020. I am excited beyond belief!! I have a significant gun collection including several hunting rifles, but have decided to take a Tikka T3X Lite rifle in 300 WSM. I will be topping it with a vortex 4-12 scope, and since I reload for most of my hunting applications, have decide to try 180 Nosler Partitions with RL 22 powder as a starting point. Given the choice to drive or fly, we are leaning hard towards driving the 2500 mies each way, as we are thinking bringing home our meat and heads will be easier/cheaper this way. We have chosen a "management bull" hunt each, and are looking forward to this trip of a lifetime.
I would appreciate any and all tips, pointers, or advice from you folks West of the big River who have elk hunting experiences. Gear, equipment, tips, tricks, and advice would be much appreciated from this New England Hill Billy. I had the good fortune of moving out to, and living in the little town of Salmon, Idaho when I graduated from Forestry School in 1990. It was the most incredible place I have ever been, and can't wait to get back to God's country, if even for a week. Thanks in advance to any and all who have anything to offer, I have found the croud here at "The Fire", to be a helpful and enjoyable bunch of folks over the past several years.

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What unit? Almost all the elk hunting in Sept is archery with a few cow hunts for rifle. I think the MIddle Fork zone might have a bull hunt open then but I'm not sure. By management bull do you mean a private herd hunt?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Howdy, yes its a private heard hunt I believe. 5,000 acres in South Eastern Idaho, and 5000 acres in North Eastern Utah. We have chosen to hunt in Idaho.

Rich

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great !!! Have a fine time and enjoy your hunt..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great! I've never hunted in that part of the state. It's a beautiful area. Sept in this area can be darn hot but you can't count on that. It could be in the 80's but maybe not. I've hunted in snow over Labor Day.

― George Orwell

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing to offer except that, you’ve chosen a pretty good cartridge. You’ve also chosen a pretty good bullet! Practice a good bit at some extended ranges! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/17/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I need to start dropping hints to my wife!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks as if you and your partner will be comfortable and well fed. A nice "elk camp."

https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

As Rock Chuck said, odds are it will be pretty warm that time of the year, September, but might get cold. That said, do take some cold weather clothing just in case.

If you will be using horses from the ranch house, and if you do not now how to ride a horse, I suggest you and your bud take a few riding lessons at a riding stable near you ... if possible.

Your .300 WSM should get the job done very well.

By the way, if you and your partner will be staying in motels, do not leave any guns, etc., etc., etc., in your vehicle when you are sleeping.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Get in shape. Every year when climbing mountains in Colorado I’ve told myself “I wish I had worked out harder.”

You’ll enjoy it much more if you’re in good shape.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you all!! I'm taking all this in... smile

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Enjoy it. I did my 1st one last fall at age 60. It was a DIY hunt on public land in CO. My wife doesn't hunt, but spent every minute in the woods with me to help pack out if i'd killed anything. I wasn't successful, but still had the experience of a lifetime. For a variety of reasons it just didn't happen this year. Biggest reason was grand child #5 being born 2-3 days prior to opening day. I plan to go back again next year for a similar hunt. If not successful then I'll start looking at guided hunts.

Most important advice is to prepare for the altitude. While last fall was my 1st elk hunt, I've deer hunted in CO in the past and taken several summer trips all over the Rockies. For me the 1st 2-3 days in the altitude always kicks my butt. But by the 3rd day I've always been fine. I live at about 1000', but to prepare do some hiking at 4000" here in GA and there are some places in TN where I can get over 6000'. It isn't 11,000', but is better than nothing.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see from their website that the highest elevation there is 7500'. That's not particularly high...unless you live under 1000'. If you do, you might find yourself sucking some air.

― George Orwell

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Come out a couple days early and get used to the elevation and also do some longer range shooting with your rifles. I live a couple of hours south of where you will be hunting, so PM me for some local intel if you would like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Knock one down man

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Utah708,

Rich

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Work out more than you think you need to.

Start breaking in a good stiff mountain boot tomorrow. 50 miles minimum, before you go.

I'm partial to the 300wsm for my big game, get comfortable shooting to 500, maybe 600 yards.

Soak it up. Agree in driving. The journey is as good as the destination.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My only comment is,

Your wife is awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and you should take her with you, since you won't be roughing it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think you'll have to worry about too much other than making sure you don't pull the trigger on something you don't want to pay $$$$ for! When a booger like this staring at you remember what you are paying for, don't rationalize the extra $$$ in the split seconds haha.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Solid advice in this thread. I'll only add to really give your scope choice some thought, and test it extensively before going. Lotsa stuff gets killed with Vortex scopes but they have enough failures that you should be sure it's right. Also, take a back-up rig. Congrats on the present and the wife!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.