Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Wondering if anyone has any experience with J P Sauer l00 series bolt action rifles. As I understand it they’re an entry level Sauer rifle. The articles I found online had good reviews. The gun shops in my area don’t carry them so I’ve not handled one. Looking for some info on accuracy, handling, action, fit / finish etc.
Thanks for reading.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Since no one has answered yet, I can give you my experience, which is limited to handling only. I visited a shop in MN that had a few of them in stock. The fit was of the "traditional" European style, which means it is going to naturally shoulder a bit higher for most folks. The bolt was smooth (in between a Tikka and a Remington) and the bolt throw is only 60 degrees, which will have most Remington shooters perplexed, but I like it a lot. Fit and finish were good for an entry-level gun. The guy at the counter stated that he had sold a couple of them and got good feedback in terms of accuracy, but take that with a healthy dose of salt, as he may have just been trying to sell me the gun.
Overall, it felt good to me and it cycled well. The trigger was pretty "ok" for a factory gun.
For the price category, I would tend to gravitate more towards the Tikka, as it is a known commodity, but based on the builder history, if you were willing to take the risk, I would probably bet that you wouldn't be disappointed.

F
OP Offline
F
Hey HandgunHTR, thanks for the reply!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that he one they use on Wild Boar Fever? You could get a partial idea of how they handle by watching, minus the feel of the thing. They flick those bolts PDQ.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The one I handled (6.5 PRC) was nice all the way around., the stock was a little different, like a Weatherby and a feather weight crossed.

IC B2

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks to all for the info & replies.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sportsman’s carries them and had a clearance on the plain synthetic for 599 I think.
XT model?
I have one in 9.3 and I like it better than the tikka in some aspects.
Better stock than the T3. Action is just as smooth as a tikka but with less slop.
I don’t like no after market support and costumer service wouldn’t get back to me after 2 phone calls when looking for a recoil pad as the hard rubber on 9.3 almost made me recoil shy

Last edited by Dre; 12/16/19.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy with confidence.......got a screaming deal on mine. The gun could be the best "entry level" I'll ever come across.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Sauer is a littermate to the Mauser M18. Both are made in Isny, Germany, where Blaser and Mauser & Sauer high grade guns are made. I have owned and shot a Sauer 100 and it is outstanding. It is accurate and easy to shoot. The external adjustable trigger is a plus as is the 5 round, flush fit mag. The gun is drilled and tapped for any Remington 700 LA scope mounting system. The barrel is threaded to the receiver and the stock is stable and not flimsy. The only negative I can come up with is that it isn't offered in a LH model.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What OSU sig said.
Yeah the 5 round mag is very nice. I really wish T3X would have fixed that.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just saw this thread. I have one in 6.5prc. About 50 rnds down tube so far. Decided to go with no break-in routine on this...just tired if doing that (after 50 or so guns). Shoots my 130 AB loads with H1000 and Fed 210M into .674 for 3 at 100. Oh, at about 3100 without signs or trying. Book coal for load. Adjusted trigger down...fantastic now! Reduced to 13.5 lop w/1" Decelerator pad. Camo paint. What's not to like?

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the additional information. I’ve yet to hold one as the limited number of gun shops In my area seem to favor Browning, Ruger & Tikka. I like the features of the Sauers & Mausers.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My 9.3 Sauer 100 is a consistent 1/2”@100 and 2”@400. Haven’t heard of anyone with one that won’t shoot . Generous magazine length if you reload.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was my understanding the sauer100 stock was bedded differently than the m18......which is why I went with the xt100.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Is that he one they use on Wild Boar Fever? You could get a partial idea of how they handle by watching, minus the feel of the thing. They flick those bolts PDQ.

+1 and those hunters display some exceptional off-hand shooting skills on moving targets. They definitely are not slouches when it comes to shooting skills.

CJ

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 12/18/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's my experience with one-

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11771151/Re:_Sauer_100_.222

LOL
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
looks awful tikka like to me..................just sayin'. why not copy a darn good platform. ruger has done it successfully with the american.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been really pleased with my Sauer 100 over the past couple of years. I made the following comparison to it and my Tikka T3X awhile back:

I've got both a Tikka T3x SS in .300 Win and a Sauer 100 XT in 6.5 CM, both purchased in the fall of 2017. The Sauer, IMO, is every bit the equal of the Tikka in terms of accuracy, fit and finish. Accuracy wise, both are sub-MOA shooters with both my handloads and factory loads, the 6.5 CM probably a bit more accurate with factory loads. The Sauer feels like it has a higher grade polymer stock and I really like how it feels, however, it has a LOP of 14 1/2" which is a bit longer than I like and the Tikka just fits me better. Also, while both come with a pretty hard recoil pad, it is easy to switch out the Tikka's for a Simms Limbsaver, which I have really appreciated on the .300 Win. I don't think Simms makes one for the Sauer and I'm glad it's in 6.5 CM.

Both have outstanding triggers that are easily adjusted without taking the action out of the stock. I have both set at 2 3/4" pounds and they break like glass, but I like the feel of the Sauer just a bit more. The Sauer also has a flush fitting 5-round magazine, whereas the Tikka is a 3 round magazine even in non-magnum cartridges. The Sauer is about 1/2 lb. heavier than the Tikka, some of that weight I attribute to the longer stock and the fact that it has metal bottom metal rather than polymer like the Tikka. The Sauer is finished in a semi-glossy blue, whereas from what I recall of the Tikkas, they are a matte blue.

Regarding the safeties of each, the Tikka has a 2-position and the Sauer has a 3-position. One thing I noticed about the Sauer is that while hunting, the large safety has moved to either the middle position or even the "fire" position, probably as a result of catching on brush. It would be better if it had a flat safety like the Tikka, rather than a somewhat large toggle-like safety, which would likely prevent that. The actions on both are super smooth, with the Tikka's bolt being slimmer. The Sauer rifle is backed by a 10 year, sub-MOA for 5-shots warranty and I don't know what Tikka's warranty is.

All in all, I've been extremely pleased with both rifles and they both are my best shooting rifles of the several high-power ones I own. A guy could not go wrong with either rifle, but if I could only keep one, I'd choose the Tikka because it's 1/2 lb. lighter, stainless steel, has a better recoil pad and has a LOP that makes it quicker to shoulder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Here's my experience with one-

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11771151/Re:_Sauer_100_.222

I read this when I was thinking about getting a Sauer. Decided to get a Tikka instead and don't regret it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by whitearrow
looks awful tikka like to meEd

You would be wrong there, there are more differences than similarities

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

565 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.