Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14382250 12/17/19
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The MR Crew Cab gets great reviews as day hunting, meat hauling pack. Anyone have experience with the MR Cabinet or Mule? If you’ve carried both the Crew Cab and either the Cabinet or the Mule, I’d be interested in how they compare.

Thanks.

Frank

Last edited by fshaw; 12/17/19.
BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sorry, I have no experience with the packs mentioned. Not quite as large, but I bought and used an MR Pop Up 28 this year and was very impressed with it's abilities and comfort.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/18/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

I used the Mule to pack out 4 bulls and a buck this year. I think all told I put in 72 miles in the first 6 days either hunting and packing quarters out of the wilds of Idaho. Loved the MR Mule for both purposes. Tim (TDN) had a Pintler and was equally impressed when we packed his bull out. My other hunting partner just bought a Sawtooth as a result of seeing the Mule perform so well this season.

While I've loved my Mule,...were I buying a new one today I'd get the Sawtooth for sure. Just a little more room without much weight penalty with a better waist belt.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I only have experience with the Mule. I did pack out a deboned mule deer and the head. I don’t think it carries heavy weight as well as my Kifaru, but I still really like the pack. For hiking/hunting all day then hauling some meat I think it’s a great pack.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Another vote for the Pop up. I've used a crew cab with the nice frame for about 10 years now. It's a great hauler, but for a day pack I've decided its base weight is unnecessary. I tried a Metcalf for awhile but the bag design and 5 miles of straps didn't impress me. This fall I switched to a pop up 18, which has proven to be the ideal situation. My daypack weight with essentials runs 12-15 lbs all up and I've hauled various meat loads so far this season weighing 50-92 lbs. For day hunts, I see myself using just the pop up from here on out.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm with Dave, although my big pack is a SG 5900 which I love...if I don't have camp on my back yet still want to haul meat the MR Sawtooth worked well for me this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have become a fan of the Pop Up 18. For day hunting with the ability to comfortably pack meat the PU 18 is a winner. I have packed out two whitetail with it so far this year and it worked very well.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have hunted and packed meat with both a Cabinet and Pintler. If you are going to carry odd shaped items regularly, (i.e. tree stands, climbing sticks, ground blinds) then the Cabinet is a great choice. If you spend most of your time hunting or overnighting then the conventional Mule, Pintler, Sawtooth would be a better choice in my opinion. The pocket configuration of the Cabinet just didn't work for every day hunting as well as the more traditional bag/overload options. They all pack meat very well and MR offers a great bang for your buck no questions asked. If you are still not sure buy the Cabinet. That way if you want to switch you and can buy a Pintler or Mule bag. They don't offer the Cabinet as a bag only so they are much harder to find.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ones you listed- They’re all the same on a guide light frame. The crew cab is heavier the mule Doesn’t have room for much more than lunch rain gear kill kit. They all handle the load. Which one of those you go with depends on your basic load out and very subjective personal presence. The mule is a little tight on space for me. The crew cab /
Cabinet has the space but breaks it up too much or me. I’m prefer a longbow or pintler - but that’s a bag layout/ access issue. I love my pop up28 also but it’s be better with a 3zip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ones you listed- They’re all the same on a guide light frame. The crew cab is heavier the mule Doesn’t have room for much more than lunch rain gear kill kit. They all handle the load. Which one of those you go with depends on your basic load out and very subjective personal preference. The mule is a little tight on space for me. The crew cab /
Cabinet has the space but breaks it up too much or me. I’m prefer a longbow or pintler - but that’s a bag layout/ access issue. I love my pop up28 also but it’s be better with a 3zip.

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/19/19.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been using a Pintler for the past couple years. Hauled an elk and deer so far. I find it as comfortable as it gets when hauling 60-80 lbs in a pack. I have a pop-up 28 and the smaller Scapegoat (28?) and still carried the Pintler in deer season this year. I find the Pintler a very good all around pack. My Metcalf bag has only seen use a few times in the past couple years.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I also have a Pintler. I can carry enough for two days out (tight) with a very compact pack that is completely unobtrusive. Very comfortable and forget it is even there. Belt is comfortable and it doesn't slide down my azz.

Great pack.

Lefty

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a Crew Cab and now own a Cabinet. The cabinet frame is much better IMO for packing heavy loads out.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As impressed and pleased as I am with my Pop Up 28, the new Sawtooth 45 has been calling my name. It's got about 35-40 percent more volume than the PU28, but the big thing for me is that 270* U shaped zipper. For me, that would be my idea of the perfect pack....for now. laugh

Post Script: While the PU28 is just small enough to meet aviation criteria for overhead baggage, The Sawtooth45 might be just outside limits for certain carriers. Although, I've seen people put some way outsized pieces in the overhead bins without being called on it.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/27/19.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I am pretty new to this pack stuff, and find this accessory intriguing. It seems like a good way to carry a rifle, any one try one?

https://www.mysteryranch.com/quick-draw-rifle-sling

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I am pretty new to this pack stuff, and find this accessory intriguing. It seems like a good way to carry a rifle, any one try one?

https://www.mysteryranch.com/quick-draw-rifle-sling

Can’t speak to that one, but the Kifaru version is AWESOME. The “generic” model works great with any pack fwtw.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And it's only around $20.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yep....I love the generic Kifaru Gun Bearer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Kifaru GB as well.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted one day with a guy who used the gun bearer and after that I always made / make excuses why I’m unavailable. I don’t like thinking about other guys rifle all day, and slings in general and the GB in particular just sort of always make me wonder how much attention the other guy is paying. Occupies too much of my mind. Takes me out of the hunt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 18 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.