Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
My 13 yr old REALLY enjoys hunting & fishing and I've encouraged him from day one. He's a self imposed "trophy hunter" and has already let several 100-120inch bucks walk earlier this year during the juvie gun weekend. He can handle and shoot lights out with his Rem 7600 7-08 and the only stands I have on my place besides ground blinds are shooting houses with stairs and commerical 12ft 2 man ladders with rails and a few 10-12ft tripods. So I guess I'm answering my own question about the safety aspect but I still just wanted to hear from other dads about when and how they made their decision?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It's always tough turning em loose whether it's that first bicycle ride, hunting or driving. Important thing is that they've been taught right. Always told my wife, it's our job to teach em how to take care of themselves, not to take care of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Nevada it's 18 by law.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its different for everyone and their kids. You've got to be the judge. A kid by himself with a phone and a gun and some limits imposed on him, lessened bit by bit, should be ok. Add more kids, motor vehicles, etc and you can see how things can go wrong.

I routinely tell people that, looking back, we (my friends, my brother and me, all in High school at the time) did things while duck hunting that should have gotten us killed. Overloaded leaky boats, with seriously underpowered motors being at the top of the list. If my mother had any idea of the risks we took with shotguns, waders, boats, motors, pickups, etc she'd have sold the whole works for a dollar. That said, as a result, I learned well how to get myself out of a serious jam. Point being, we were trusted with "too much" all at one time. Too much could have gone wrong. Yikes. Just give kids little bits of freedom at a time, I think.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if he`s a good common sense kid turn him loose ,shotguns 1st and 22 `s. mine got to use my 4x4 truck and guns at 12 years of age but he was raised in the country ,country kids learn life much earlier because they have to work as a man or lady,so common sense and respect is learned . i never sugar coated my kids and my dad never did either you got slap for doing wrong or your butt kicked . my wife now Grandma is a sweet lady but if those grandkids get out of line she let`s them have it and those grandkids love her dearly .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad let me hit the woods alone at 14, but I couldn't bring myself to let my son go alone until he was 16.

Here they can legally hunt alone as early as 12 after completing the hunter safety course.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted alone at 12 with a gun that I really didn't use that much. Safe? Not really. Looking back it provided my dad and older brothers a better chance at killing deer vs helping me lol. Fortunately I never fell out of various tree stands with no safety harnesses and 2x4 steps nailed to trees. Never shot something I shouldn't have.

Guess that is why it meant so much to me to get to hunt with my kids up through high school. Hell I got to sit with my 26 year old this year when he killed another bull elk and my 24 year old when she got her first bull elk this year. Hunting with and helping my kids with their various adventures is my favorite pastime.

If I live long enough, planning on hunting and helping any grandkids I can help get interested.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mine was 16, for Big Game. They could legally drive. Teach them young, and show your confidant's, and respect with on their good decisions.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
In Nevada it's 18 by law.

Wrong. 14 but not with a semi auto.

http://www.ndow.org/Education/Hunter_Ed/FAQs/

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i believe here in Minnesota farm kids can get a local area farm driving license at 12 years of age yet ? as kids we hunted every thing with our bow and arrows and killed plenty animals,but once we had gun training at age 11, and my father was a gun training instructor, at age 12 we got our own 22 and a shotgun and living in the country we allowed to go hunt year around or whatever ,but only for what animal season was open .

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My daughter did this year at 16... she not only killed her deer but cleaned it, skinned it, and processed it herself...

Public landowner...
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
12 in Montana I think.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
12 in Montana I think.

I'll have to double check but I am pretty sure it is 15 in MT. That was what it was when I was a kid many years ago. I don't know if they did it to coincide with when we could drive (which was 15). Now the kids have to drive with a family member adult for awhile. When I did it I passed my drivers test and drove 300 miles to my grandparents. Off subject. I should just look it up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely kid dependent. I know several adults I'd not want to share a field with and a few kids that I enjoy accompanying.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Absolutely kid dependent. I know several adults I'd not want to share a field with and a few kids that I enjoy accompanying.

Ain't that the truth. There's legal and than there's responsible.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i would also include respect for the gun and alders too. i won`t go into adults using a gun ?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Depends on the kid, my youngest boy may be able to function without adult supervision when he's about 47 while my older one is one of those kids you have to remind to lighten up and actually be a kid.

Sounds like you have have a good responsible kid, one idea may be to set some parameters such as ground blind or shooting houses only, etc. I would be more worried about my kid's making a dumb decision of trying to hunt a tripod in high winds or something that I would be in unsafe gun handling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Depends on the kid, my youngest boy may be able to function without adult supervision when he's about 47 while my older one is one of those kids you have to remind to lighten up and actually be a kid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
B
I'm a long way from hunting with my kids. Oldest is only 3.

In NY the law is 12 you can bowhunt or small game hunt accompanied. 14 for firearms big game hunt while accompanied. 16 to hunt unaccompanied. Just FYI.

Anyway, I dont come from a hunting or shooting family. I was the first to own a bow, a gun, to hunt, to camp etc. I've never hunted with my father and that's unfortunate.

Hunting for me is as much about the experience as it is about taking game. I probably won't let me kids hunt unaccompanied until 18 unless I have to because more than one wants to hunt that day and we are all on the same property just different stands. Part of that is the selfishness of wanting to spend as many days afield with them as I can before I'm too old, they move away, go to college, get on the 9-5 grind, get married etc. They will all likely have many more hunting days after I'm gone than they will while I'm still around.

Lastly, it depends what kind of hunting we are talking about.
Sitting in a stand a couple hundred yards from me? Yeah maybe at 16. But probably not all at once, first I will walk out with them and then go to my spot, then eventually they can do it all alone.
Tracking in the Adirondack wilderness where you can't see 100yds and you can walk all day without hitting a road? Not a chance in hell I'd let them go alone until 18 and that's assuming by then they have demonstrated maturity, woodsmanship, navigational skills, and sufficient physical ability.

Just my .02

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kid dependent as well as law. As a kid at 8/9 I could squirrel hunt with a 410 the farm/woods behind my house and fish ponds alone there. 12 I started sitting in the woods deer hunting in ladder stands alone. Did fine. I followed the rules dad set. Stay till I get back. Kill bucks only. Whatever it was. No cell phones or radios. Just stay where he put you till he got back at time he said he would.

My 9 year old no way. He is a little too timid still. Fishing I have no problem letting him be on the lake bank by my wife’s uncle alone fishing. He does fine and knows the safe way to do it. He is a good swimmer and there is no current with no steep banks.

For me it’s all about the kid. My middle brother wasn’t till he was 15/16 he could be trusted to hunt alone. If he still hunted I’d still be nervous with him out there. He could get lost in his own home

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (1minute, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 1,468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.