24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been reloading for years but I am not an expert. I've always loaded revolver rounds and some rifle. I have never loaded for a semi-auto pistol. Just found factory loads were inexpensive enough to justify reloading things like 9mm and 45. I'm attempting to load for a 45 Win Mag. my first batch looked great. When I tried loading them into the Wildey. The slide stopped prior to full battery. Then the fun began getting the round out of the chamber. I loaded a few factory loads into the gun to make sure something wasn't amiss with the gun since the last time I shot it. The factories loaded fine. I pulled the decapping rod out of the sizing die and ran the loaded rounds through it to see if the case neck was bulged or something. There was resistance so I'm thinking maybe?? I'm loading .452 250 gr XTPs. I wouldn't think going to a .451 would make much difference.

Any thoughts?
Scratching my head

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would assume that when you loaded these troublesome rounds, you first resized & deprimed the brass, flared the case mouths, seated primers, charged the cases and then seated bullets in that order.

If I'm on track here the Wildey is a semi-auto pistol, so the rounds need to be crimped as the bullets are seated (or crimped after seating, which is better IMHO). The crimp for this type of round should be a taper crimp, and if that taper crimp is not sufficient than you might have problems such as you describe. Another possibilty is not seating bullets deep enough.

I would check the loading data for the exact bullet you used to see what the suggested overall length of the finished cartridge should be. If that checks out okay, use a caliper to measure the case diameter right at the case mouth. It should be very close to the diameter measurement you get about an eighth of an inch below the case mouth...if the first measurement is greater than the second, you probably need to adjust your seater die to crimp the case mouth a little more.

Just realized I didn't think to mention the possibility of insufficient sizing. Gotta run those cases ALL the way up into the sizing die as far as they'll go.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by RiverRider; 12/09/19.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How is this in " Reloading Software"???

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good question, Dennis. It does seem that reloading questions can pop up just about anywhere here.

How ya been? Do you know of any talk about an Arizona gathering this coming year? I know that's not pertinent to reloading software, but what the hey.

Do you use QuickLOAD?

There. Back on topic! wink

Don't be the darkness.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
a case gauge is your friend.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Reloading most auto pistols I disassemble and use the barrel as a case gauge. If it goes in with no issues and no pressure it usually functions fine, compare to how a factory round fits in your barrel.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The plunk test is just dandy for a 1911...maybe a few others too.

Don't be the darkness.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Trying to run a loaded round through a FLS die without the decapping rod will always be too tight. The die will always slightly undersize the brass so the projectile is a snug fit, and the case is also slightly expanded once the projectile is seated.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
That's a good question, Dennis. It does seem that reloading questions can pop up just about anywhere here.

How ya been? Do you know of any talk about an Arizona gathering this coming year? I know that's not pertinent to reloading software, but what the hey.

Do you use QuickLOAD?

There. Back on topic! wink

I think the gatherings have run their course!

I had the original version of Quickload but it got to the point that it no longer worked on the new operating systems.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well damn is it any worse asking a reloading in software than posting about disposable hijabs in ask the gun writers?

Swifty
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I looked on my QL and my old copy of Load On A Disk and they say nothing about cases stuck in a chamber.

Jim Gibson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.