Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Can anyone here give me the approximate value of this Marlin 336 in .35 Remington?

Older with micro groove rifling, appears very clean, no scratches, shop tells me there is a tiny bit of rust on the back side of the receiver that should come off easily with oil & steel wool. Bushnell Banner 4X scope, sling, just as you see it.

I bought it over the phone, will pick it up tomorrow, just curious of the value as I think I did pretty good on it. I'm not very familiar with prices as I'm not much of a lever guy, but at the price, I felt I had to grab it.

Thanks, Garry
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by wink_man; 12/19/19.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have bought quite a few 336s. Do you know the year or at least the first two letter/number of the serial number? Without a scope I usually pay $350 $425. People do pay a little more for the 35 Remington as opposed to the 30-30. I cannot tell from the picture but is there a cross bolt safety? Again, many people will pay a little more to not have this feature.

What does the tag say on it? Model number? Is the stock walnut or birch, hard to tell. Also, I would not pay much for that scope.

Last edited by tcassem; 12/19/19. Reason: add

Better to throw pearls before swine then pour good coffee into the cups of the indifferent.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tcassem
I have bought quite a few 336s. Do you know the year or at least the first two letter/number of the serial number? Without a scope I usually pay $350 $425. People do pay a little more for the 35 Remington as opposed to the 30-30. I cannot tell from the picture but is there a cross bolt safety? Again, many people will pay a little more to not have this feature.

What does the tag say on it? Model number? Is the stock walnut or birch, hard to tell. Also, I would not pay much for that scope.

I don't have much info, as I bought the gun over the phone, from a reputable shop I deal with. He just said older, 4 digit serial number and very clean aside from the little bit of rust I mentioned on the back side of the receiver. I don't see a crossbolt safety, and with a 4 digit serial # I doubt it has one. I will pic the gun up tomorrow then I'll have a better idea.

I agree with you on the scope, don't place much value on it either, but for the price, and the scope went with it, I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

From the picture it looks pretty clean , can't see rust on other side. If rust is minimal I would say $450-$550 depending on part of the country. The 35 remington chamber does demand more money. I paid $550 for a clean 35 SC model made in 1955 a few years ago and felt price was fair. I don't think it was ever carried hunting and shot very little if any. Probably could have been put away and resold as a collector quality but I don't collect , I use and hunt with everything I own.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Its a pre x/bolt safety...so pre 1983.......yes walnut.....

yes...35's will get more than 30-30's

easy $500 for a nice/clean 35 Rem.......

take the POS scope off & its worth an extra $50 more....

look at this S/N chart...again X/bolt safety started in 1983 (ish)

https://marlinspares.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Marlin-Date-codes-ver8-396mb2-1024x791.jpg

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

1971 336 35 Rem

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tikkanut

1971 336 35 Rem

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice, real nice. Sent you a PM.

I will look on the serial number chart when I get the serial number of the gun when I pick it up tomorrow. Thank you for the info.

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What did you pay for it?

Better to throw pearls before swine then pour good coffee into the cups of the indifferent.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What did you pay for it?

me ? the 35 ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What did you pay for it?

can't say...........

may wanna sell it here in the classifieds...............

just kiddin'............

blush

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
What did you pay for it?

I picked it up for $250, even being ignorant on Marlins and lever actions in general, I knew I couldn't go very wrong at $250, LMAO !!!!!

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You stole it.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Picked up the gun late this morning. Brought it home and looked it over thoroughly. Pretty clean, 2 minor scratches in the buttstock and the little bit of rust on the off side of the receiver. Does not look like it ever received much use, the rust was probably from storage.

Took the scope off, I was thrilled to find the scope was housed in old school Weaver Pivot rings and bases.

Cleaned off the rust with OOOO steel wool and oil, hardly noticeable now. Just used a little bit of Old English scratch cover oil on the wood firniture and it came out nicely, stock has a mild fiddleback in it.
Oiled the metal and wiped it off, the gun didn't really need much, it is really in great condition.

Serial number beginning with "U" would put the gun as manufactured between August 1960 and August 1961 according to the datecode link from Tikkanut.

The base/rings will go back on, they weren't done with locktite, and I have a Denver Redfield 4X with post/crsshair I will probably put on the gun.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

money well spent.....good ole Marlin in real nice shape...

You may have to take something to help you sleep the next couple of nights grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Beautiful gun and great price. I'm on the lookout for that exact gun.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You got into that one right, with instant equity.

Nice gun.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd pay $475 for one like that

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wink_man
What did you pay for it?

I picked it up for $250, even being ignorant on Marlins and lever actions in general, I knew I couldn't go very wrong at $250, LMAO !!!!!

I'll go $300.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They'd want 650 for that in my neighborhood.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, great deal!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.