Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My daughter has a volleyball tournament on Dallas the end of June first of July her younger brother will be going along. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any hunting near Dallas that has good reviews. Some sort of ram/exotic I suppose. Not interested in hogs. Trying to keep it somewhat reasonable. I figure it’s be fun for him and I and something different. Thanks for any suggestions Jerrad

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunted a few times around Sonora, probably farther than your looking to travel though. I hunted aoudad, axis, and spring turkeys.

Lots of info here, may be a start:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Do you have any idea hot it is in Texas in July?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out NTO that posts here. I believe he is not far from DFW

PASS IT ON!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hanco
Do you have any idea hot it is in Texas in July?

Must not

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Texas in July and hunting?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most of the non canned exotic hunting is in the Hill Country. In July I would be looking for good swimming holes but some ranches have hotter than hell discounts that time of year.

Check the roster of the Exotic Wildlife association to see if any are in the DFW area. https://www.myewa.org/

Lots of options around Kerrville and West Tex. is the place for a truly free range Audad hunt. Magnum Outfitters in Eldorado can fix you up there. I have not hunted with them but he is the brother of a long time friend and has a good reputation.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Your best hunt opportunity will be hunting for air conditioned areas in June/July in Dallas.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Axis deer!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Your best hunt opportunity will be hunting for air conditioned areas in June/July in Dallas.

That’s a natural fact. 95 would be a cool day!

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hilarious....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Reloder28

That’s a natural fact. 95 would be a cool day!

Yep!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You’ll have to drive a bit but it’s a great time for axis. They should be in the rut. I hunted the second week of Aug a couple years ago during a near record heat wave and it made the paint peel on my truck’s hood. It should be fun

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'm going a different direction and say that you should go Striper fishing at Lake Texoma or go bow fishing at night somewhere close to Dallas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Summer is a good time for hunting exotics as many high fenced properties have herd reduction sales then. Prices much lower.
Yes it is warm, so you hunt early and late. While the exotic hunting business was developed south and west of Dallas, there are some good places now in East Texas.
My son and I took nice Axis eating doe within one hour of my place in Farmersville which is just northeast of Dallas. It is on the north side of a reservoir where there is good fishing and good places to eat fish.Even elk are exotics in Texas and there are multiple places to shoot them in East Texas.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
If you are interested, PM me and I will provide the contact information of the outfitter with whom we hunted our eating Axis does.

Have fun and best of luck to your daughter in the volleyball tourney.

In that same area, there is Hidden Lakes bird hunting preserve with nice accommodations, on site chef, etc. If you are a bird hunter (who is not?)

Last edited by crshelton; 12/20/19.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I once hunted Uvalde and De Rio for Blackbuck and Axis, late June. Uvalde, not so bad, as mentioned, you hunt early and late. Not the case in Del Rio! We were at Indian Head Ranch, and there for only one day. The wind was like a furnace! I managed to shoot a nice axis buck after lunch, but was SO glad to get out of there! ha I thought I knew what hot was in East Tx oilfields, and it is hot in early July there too. But, drink plenty of water, move slow, try to hunt "safari style" from an air conditioned P/U truck! smile But do it, life is short, and you will enjoy the adventure! ( I never went back in summer, Spring/Fall/Winter was worth flying down home from here to visit family, hunt exotics. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.