-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure it a lot has to do with it's so uber cool to say "yeah, I shoot a Creed".

Black Cows Matter!
GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
What makes the creed better than a 260 or 270?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joined the 6.5CM crowd a couple weeks ago abut have yet to even mount a scope on it, although I do have a rail in place. (Warne Maxima QD rings are due to arrive in two days.)

Under 600 the 6.5CM won't do much my .257 Roberts with +P ammo won't do, but my Roberts has a 22" sporter weight barrel compared to a heavy 26" barrel for the CM. I handload Daughter's .270 Win with 150g AB to 2912fps. With a .591 B.C. it spanks the 6.5CM at ranges past where she should be shooting and recoil is still under 18 ft-lbs.

That said, I'm looking forward to playing with the 6.5CM. I'll probably replace the factory synthetic stock with a Boyd thumbhole or AT-One laminate. A lightweight sporter this isn't and will never be. But it is an efficient little cartridge that should be great for varmints and targets and antelope and anything else where a long carry is not in the cards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used a 270 as my deer rifle for 25 years, and averaged killing a couple of deer a year with it.....from 15 to 450 yards. I do not believe that there is anything that kills a deer any quicker than a 130 grain bullet out of a 270. I've been using a 6.5 CM for several years now, and prefer it because of the short action and the fact that the recoil is milder than that of a 270. Plus, it kills a deer just as dead.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This topic has been beaten to death, to me it’s kinda tiresome and I’m surprised this thread gotten this many replies so far without someone else saying so. Kinda pointless to keep debating this, unless you fellas are just bored. IMO of course..

OP: google it, you’ll find all the reading material you’d ever want on the 6.5 creed. Or don’t.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

OP: google it, you’ll find all the reading material you’d ever want on the 6.5 creed. Or don’t.

Install your bullschidt filter before you do OP.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Creedmoor doesn't do anything exceptional well, just a marketing thang. Fast twist anything similar and ditto...same results. Hunting big bull elk at 800 yards is not gonna be the criteria . Most couldn't hit that same elk at 80 yards, when Winded, leg weary, shooting through a tangle with sweat running into your eyes.
Might as well be a scattergun, imo

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Availability of cheap, reliable ammo. Guns built a properly twisted barrel from the factory. Would be all I could think of.

Bingo

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Wide variety of very affordable and accurate factory ammo compared to the .260. Wide variety of very affordable and accurate factory rifles. About 2/3 the recoil of the recoil of the .270, yet with very similar effectiveness on big game.

All of which is why the 6.5 Creedmoor is very popular, especially those younger shooters who're buying new rifles.

I'm loving mine, but I'm not younger anymore. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Originally Posted by tzone
Availability of cheap, reliable ammo. Guns built a properly twisted barrel from the factory. Would be all I could think of.

Bingo

This is the only benefit... I had both and opted to stick with the 260s... I already had several before the Creedmoor became a thing so that's what I stuck with... I also hand load so factory ammo is a non issue for me...

I shoot only 140 Amaxes in all 4 of my 260s and I've never had an oal issue... they're all bdl style magazine boxes and that also includes a Model 7...

Public landowner...
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have all three, but only recently got the .270 in a trade. I like the .260, because I have gobs of .308 brass to make into .260. It shoots all length of bullets well, although, the load is pretty heavily compressed, with the longer bullets. In both of my rifles, all loads are very accurate.

I like the Creed, because it handles the longer bullets better than the .260, but other that that, it is virtually the same. Both kill deer and antelope with authority.

My .270 shoots Hornady 130-grain Whitetail factory ammo into tiny groups, but does it with more recoil-although not enough to matter.

Although I have several long-action rifles, I have gotten to the point that I like the short-action rifles and mild recoil more than the longer ones.

There are plenty of factory ammo offerings in the Creed and the .270, both, so that is a wash, if you are a factory ammo shooter.

If you are shooting real long range (which I don't), then the 6.5 bullets eventually win the race, but for most hunting scenarios, there is no clear winner here. Pick your poison.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
6.5 Creedmoor yes its a good caliber/cartridge its accurate, made for people that are recoil shy,but in the real world of hunting its no better than just a old 270 Winchester. there is nothing super magic about a Creedmoor cartridge its really just a Savage 250 - 300 cartridge brass case name basically changed. the only thing that might be magic about the Creedmoor case is the 1st and 2nd Rocky boxing movies when Rocky beat the heck out of Creed for the world boxing championship in the movies.

Last edited by pete53; 12/20/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I were getting a Creed, I would opt for the 6mm I guess. I am a huge 260 fan, it does everything I need it too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This topic has been beaten to death, to me it’s kinda tiresome and I’m surprised this thread gotten this many replies so far without someone else saying so. Kinda pointless to keep debating this, unless you fellas are just bored. IMO of course..

Boy you can say that again. These discussions are always a good reminder as to who the ignorant/dufuses are, and who are not, actual use vs reading about it, etc. The VAST majority of the shooting/hunting public does not handload.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/20/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Better for what ?

It’s shorter = easier to get the right COAL in a factory rifle with longer bullets you want to seat out further.
This also means it slower.

The rifles chambers size speciifications are tighter to the max brass size specifications than the chamber spec’s for reamers are tighter than legacy hunting rounds, so the factory rifles have a chance to be more accurate because they are using chamber sizes that are more what you’d see from a benchrest gunsmith making a custom hunting reamer for a customer (my 260 reamer is as tight as the 6.5 Creed reamer tolerances.

Beyond that - NADA...

oh what the name is cool, and someone paid MILLIONS in marketing to make you sound cool.
Meaning - Creedmoor was place / family name in history that was used to name a cartridge that holds some prestige
BUT.... you have to explain it to people because almost no one know where it came from... Good Googly Moogly.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This topic has been beaten to death, to me it’s kinda tiresome and I’m surprised this thread gotten this many replies so far without someone else saying so. Kinda pointless to keep debating this, unless you fellas are just bored. IMO of course.

The same can be said for 99% of the threads on here.

Why even have the forum if we are going to run around with this mindset?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53
6.5 Creedmoor yes its a good caliber.

For the 1000th time, it's a cartridge, not a "caliber."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
6.5 Creedmoor yes its a good caliber.

For the 1000th time, it's a cartridge, not a "caliber."
Only the 1000th?

What about caliper?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the only thing that might be magic about the Creedmoor case is the 1st and 2nd Rocky boxing movies when Rocky beat the heck out of Creed for the world boxing championship in the movies.

It's like you're dreaming about Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Most people shoot AT deer when they get beyond 400 yards. Most people wouldn’t know 600 yards if it bit them on the ass. It’s all about what you like and what fits ya. Shoot what ya like and enjoy. There is really very little difference between most average calibers. My opinion only. Ed k

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (280shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.