Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking about a suppressor, and am wondering if I should list it as a "trust" when purchased,

so that it can be in my will for a family member to inherit it after I pass.

Don't know the proper procedure. Anyone do this when you purchase one of these?

Thanks for any advice!

Virgil B.

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I did a trust, which was not all that difficult. Who knows if it will matter in 80 years when I pass away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine have all been acquired using the Single Shot Trust from Silencer Shop where I am the only named individual. Painless. I'll let my heirs worry about acquisition/disposition when the time comes.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I went individual after talking with my FFL. Upon death the suppressor can be transferred to someone else listed in your will for free using a Form 5

Last edited by nimrod1949; 12/20/19. Reason: poor grammer
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I went individual after talking with my FFL. Upon death the suppressor can be transferred to an someone else listed in your will for free using a Form 5

I also went individual on all of mine...

Public landowner...
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For a while, the individual form 4s were being blown out in 4 months. That all came to an end- back to the end of the line they said.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I did trust so my wife, kids, brother can use when necessary and will have no paperwork or headache when I die. Was very easy as I used a very knowledgeable class 3 dealer cost was 50$ if buying suppressor from his shop. Was set up by a gun trust attorney for him. If only buying one and no one else will be using or inheriting per say, just do individual.

My wife hunts and can carry one with her or the kids if she takes them out without me. No big deal with a trust

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Virgil,

As noted above a suppressor can be transferred on the owners death for free with a Form 5... However I figure my family will have enough to deal with without dealing with the BATFE.

I also feel the real beauty of the trust is having my family members on it so they can legally use it now. As soon as my kid's turn 21 I will also add them.

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
My first one was in a trust. After the rules changed, I did the next 2 as an individual.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What rule change ? Trusts are still legal.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 3040HighWall

Didn't say they weren't. But the change that occurred in June or July of 2017 (I think) made it easier to do an individual ownership rather than a trust.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 3040HighWall

30-40 High Wall,

As I Recall (from memory so fair warning)...

Form 4 as an individual used to require Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) sign off. In a lot of jurisdictions the CLEO would refuse to sign off (for no reason) which would stop the acquisition, so folks would go the trust route which did not require a CLEO sign off. The rule change mandated only CLEO "notification" not 'sign off' (for Form 4 individuals).

Also trusts (I believe as I have not done one since the change) now require those listed on your trust to have a background check===> not a bother for a lot of suppressor owners with trusts as they are the only owner in the trust but want it for the ability to pass it on with no hassle, which a trust does. My trust is my wife's and mine, so in the hopefully unlikely event that I die she has to do nothing... it is hers, but she can also use it in the mean time.

And according to my class 3 dealer they (the BATFE) are F'ing with trusts.. sending them back for BS. He used to recommend and do a lot of trust sales, but now recommends avoiding trusts. However... it could just be the examiner for our area?

Jerry

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The background check only applies to persons on a trust when a tax stamp is being submitted for approval. So the easy way to do this is amend the trust.

Example. I purchased multiple items. Once they all were approved I added my wife and brother to the trust by amending it. They do not require a background check or fingerprints that way. If I buy another item I remove them from the trust as trustees and make them beneficiaries until the item is approved, then switch them back over to trustees. This is all very simple to do with the forms supplied by the trust attorney my class 3 dealer used to build the trust.

That is why lots of informed people say 41f did nothing at all to negate trusts. Trusts are amendable, that’s the beauty of them. When My wife and I finalized our will the attorney who did the will for us was very pleased a NFa trust was setup as it made things much easier to transfer them to my family in the event something happens.

It’s up to you to decide which you do. It’s a big decision as not easily changed when done. What’s best for one isn’t always best for the other. Study up and get informed. Discuss with a reputable class 3 dealer. Make informed decisions

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good information here!

I bought raffle tickets for a suppressor, tax stamp, and a threaded Ruger lite 22LR to put it on.

Gotta wait to see if I win it, before buying a suppressor, and new threaded Glock 44

Thanks guys!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Talked to the manager at the local shop that sells suppressors.

He said his suppressor is not in a trust, but individual, and that with the form 5 his Wife will inherit when he passes.

He said he keeps a form 5 in his safe, so his Wife won't have to deal with finding one when he passes.

Got good information from him, and y'all Thanks!

He said he's got 20 suppressors waiting on approval, and that it's taking about 10 months now.

Looks like I better make up my mind pretty soon, so I can get in line!

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I’m almost a year waiting now...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much of an advantage to the trust route now after the rules changed. I will go individual if buying another. I've been putting it off. Should have done it before the mid-term elections, but never thought dems would win the House and poo-poo on making suppressor ownership easier. So now I'm still putting it off.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From my research, albeit limited, I think I will go the trust route for any I buy. I like the ease of adding my kids to the trust once they hit 18 so that they can have/possess them easily enough once I'm gone or want them to have it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I've been putting it off. Should have done it before the mid-term elections, but never thought dems would win the House and poo-poo on making suppressor ownership easier. So now I'm still putting it off.

I would get going on it... if we have a democratic president in 2021, even if suppressors are not in their sights, there probably will be a run on suppressors and the wait will only get longer.

Originally Posted by pointer
I like the ease of adding my kids to the trust once they hit 18 so that they can have/possess them easily enough once I'm gone or want them to have it.

Twenty-one, not eighteen. Still a good reason though.

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 72 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.