Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jbmi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My LGS has a 1990 617 SS 6" barrel 6 shot 22, really nice and clean, I've known the store owner for years, honest guy. Say's it came from a customer that shot Bulls Eye with it.
Asking $620, good -bad ?

"The older I get, the better I was"
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That’s a good buy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the ten shot version, 4”. Real nice handguns.
Condition is everything, but that sounds like a decent price.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would be all over it, but be aware that some guys would ream these for better extraction and replace the hammer spring/strain screw.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got that revolver, nice gun, awesome trigger, super accurate.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally, I don't care for the full lug. But, to be fair, the 617's are quite popular, in relatively high demand, and retain their value well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Personally, I don't care for the full lug. But, to be fair, the 617's are quite popular, in relatively high demand, and retain their value well.

I think you're right. Too much of a good thing. I'd like to play with one, but they ARE kind of heavy. A standard K22 is my favorite.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
They may be a little heavier than some like but they are incredibly easy to shoot well.

That is more than likely why the previous owner used it for the purpose he did.

While I have missed some shots due to my own poor marksmanship and nothing else, I have also pulled off some shots on Jacks at extended ranges that I did not think I would be able to, and connected. Truly awesome handguns.

I would not pass that up.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK

I think you're right. Too much of a good thing. I'd like to play with one, but they ARE kind of heavy. A standard K22 is my favorite.
Bob

Me too, Bob.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish S&W had seen fit to make the 617 in its original configuration without the underlug.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would love to have a K-22. Beautiful and accurate revolver. I do have a 617 6-shot 4" that is very accurate that I like. The OP can"t go wrong with one, from squirrels to bunnies to rimfire silhouette they get the job done.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

Me too, Bob.

Me three... I have a nice K22 that I'll never know the full accuracy potential of. It will outshoot me, no doubt. For me the underlug is too much.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by lastround
I wish S&W had seen fit to make the 617 in its original configuration without the underlug.

They did...but not many. One of the rarest K22s. I've never seen one, except in pictures.
Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

What year model is that? Can't say I've ever seen one without the barrel rib but I like it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK, this thread made me take mine out for some shooting today. Beats listening to the ball and chain.
Bob

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

What year model is that? Can't say I've ever seen one without the barrel rib but I like it.

That's a 17-8, Heritage series. Early 2000'S.
Bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a 10 shot 617. In rapid DA mode, it skipped chambers and double struck others. The cylinder did not lock up properly. Its 6 shot stable mate works perfectly.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've always liked a heavy gun, once you get used to it I think it's an advantage, some may disagree. Back before the ammo shortage a few years ago a lot of us used to travel down to Logan, Utah for an indoor rim fire match once a week in the winter. We always had a great turn out, sometimes as many as 50 shooters. We usually shot 5-6 stages of targets, some moving, some disappearing, some swinging, etc. It was both paper & steel & after about 3-4 years the course of fire was getting more & more difficult as shooters improved.

Almost always I was the only revolver shooter, once in a great while someone else would show up with a 617 but usually it was just me. The ammo that shot best for me, good old Federal bulk jacketed HP's & I tried about everything. You could shoot iron sights or optics, most shot optics with myself shooting a Leupold/Gilmore Red Dot.

One night I was winning the match & we came to the last stage, 3 targets turned on angles. They were the head portion of a USPSA target, just the head. Each was turned in a different direction & the very top was the "A" zone & he bottom was the "B". You had to do a "Mozambique" which is, 2 shots to the body, one to the head then advance to the next target, repeat & move to the third target. At the beginning you had to be aiming at a spot on the wall away from the 3 targets. You had to shoot the 3 angling targets in order, 2 to the body, one to the head, repeated on all 3 targets.

I won that stage in a record time, 9 shots, all alpha's in 2.97 seconds with that heavy, under lug 617. Count to 3.

Dick

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dick, you never cease to impress..

Good shootin.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess that heavy barrel just soaks up the recoil. If I found a nice early 6" 617, I'd buy it.
Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.