Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14391728 12/21/19
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

In the past, I have seen pictures posted of a few rifles that had the metal work treated entirely with NP3 - could anyone post pictures of a rifle or handgun that has seen a fair bit of use to show how well NP3 holds up over time? The internet is full of pictures of NP3 treated objects but most appear to be new.

I have a custom rifle in the works that I intend to be the last one I am going to ever need or want. As such, I intend to have the metal work treated in some way to enhance the rust resistance. I am considering either Cerakote or NP3 and feel that NP3 is the better option, although I have no personal experience to back that up.

Thank you

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

tcp #14392085 12/21/19
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a custom slug gun that was coated in NP3 that I hunted hard for several years. The NP3 held up very well and the gun looked like new the entire time I owned it. I was impressed with the NP3. I sold it after our area went to rifles and was no longer a slug only deer area. So I don't have any pictures but that was my experience with NP3. I am curious what other responses you will get from people who have used it.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
tcp #14393690 12/21/19
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had a few treated with NP3. I feel it is superior to Cerakote. However, if you have it Nitride, it is the primo treatment IMO.

Buy once, cry once.
tcp #14393741 12/21/19
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Didn't Robar recently go out of business?

They did an NP3 finish on a Winchester 70 Featherweight for me a long time ago. It still looks brand new!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
tcp #14393838 12/21/19
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Robar Closure

ATTENTION GUN OWNERS:

With the closing of the Robar Companies the question of accessing NP3©, NP3+© and ArmorLube© coatings has come up. Coating Technologies LLC (CTL) is the owner of these processes. We are currently exploring a methodology to help facilitate individual access to our finishes. This will take some time but we will announce availability to Distributors via electronic and printed media as quickly as we can.

To be added to our contact list and receive an update as information becomes available, please send an email with your name, phone number and email address to mediacoatingtechnologiesllc.com.

Please note: CTL does NOT have any gunsmithing services nor can we accept work on an individual basis.

Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to resuming our great relationship with our firearm owning friends.

Robbie Barrkman
CEO

IC B2

tcp #14393851 12/21/19
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would not consider Cerakote. I'm saying this after having several rifles and handguns coated with it. Cerakote will come off in wear areas and is prone to being scratched. I'd also consider some type of nitride or Birdsong's Black/Green-T finish if possible.

tcp #14394371 12/22/19
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you for the replies. Robar did go out of business but CTL is making the NP3 product available thru a select few gunsmiths.

Still hoping for a few pictures of firearms that have been NP3 treated and used.

Thanks

tcp #14394407 12/22/19
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe the bolt on all Barrett Fieldcraft rifles is NP3 coated....at least it was in original rifles, I'm not sure if this is still the case. In my experience, the bolts on Fieldcraft rifles are pretty slick. I've not had a rifle completely coated in it.

tcp #14394603 12/22/19
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Forgot to mention that I have a bolt that is NP3 coated with over 1200 rounds on the bolt. It still looks new.

tcp #14395247 12/22/19
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm a big fan of Melonite treatment. It is a salt bath nitride treatment.

IC B3

tcp #14395587 12/22/19
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have three rifles with NP3 bolts. No pics. Sorry. But, they are holding up very well, and are also slicker than factory finishes.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I'm a big fan of Melonite treatment. It is a salt bath nitride treatment.

This^^^^^^^^^^ or chrome plating for which you can contact Armalloy.

MM

tcp #14404827 12/25/19
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No pics right now but I've hunted the chit out of several NP3 rifles. Look good as new, except for areas where the bolt slides a lot, and even those look good. Big thing about NP3 is corrosion resistance plus insane slickness plus nice even metal-looking finish.

Melonite is good but not the same. Corrosion resistance of melonite, in my experience, is not remotely close to NP3, like way way not close, (I've rusted several melonite barrels), though the Tennifer finish on Glocks seems very good (and I guess in theory it's the same as Melonite?). Also requires very high temps to apply, like 1000 degrees. If you have iron sights brazed on the gun....they prob won't survive a melanite bath.

Cerokote is good for what it is, but its basically just fairly hard spray paint. With hard use, it comes right off. If you can get it done locally for $100, great. otherwise, no way.

Black-T is about as slick as NP3, but it's black or green, and matte, military, not pretty. Not metallic looking. Looks like a fancy spray coating, which it is, but has amazing lubricity and corrosion properties. And does visually wear with time, though apparently you don't lose the protection. Also Black-T goes on at a pretty low temp, which is nice, and I think I got quoted like $250 to do an entire bolt gun last time I called Birdsong.

NP3 is kinda the best if you need a slick finish that looks like metal and won't rust. I think Wright Gunsmithing is now doing NP3, but I only had guns done by Robar.

tcp #14406236 12/26/19
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I’d check out Mahovsky’s Metalife which is similar to NP3 but designed to wear really well.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

I had a rifle plated with it several years ago but sold it so I can’t say how it actually wears. The guy who turned me on to it had had several guns so finished for quite a long time and they looked amazing. Lubricity, corrosion & wear resistance are top notch.

I’m working with Birdsong on Black T right now. They didn’t acknowledge my barreled actions arrival, no updates on status, and now about a month over their 6 week estimated turn around. Hopefully their product is better than their communication...

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward NP3 and think that that is the direction I will take.

tcp #14444296 01/07/20
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
NP3 is Teflon flakes impregnating a sacrificial nickel plating and if I remember right close CTE to non anodized (Bare) aluminum of a common type. Forget the specifics now. It exposes more Teflon as it wears reducing Friction CE. DLC and other nano vapor depositions are pretty hard. Cerakote has proven sensitive to some solvents IME and can flake depending on surface prep.

I’ve use NP3+ in other industries and really liked it. Bummed to see Robar is out. Always wanted to have trigger internals and bolts plated.

If memory serves Birdsong T is Teflon encapsulated in a “coating” of some kind. Not sure if it’s ceramic or another sprayed finish but don’t think it was a PVD or plating process.

Nitride if I remember correctly is a salt or something like a halide reacting with carbon creating a hardened surface with great corrosion resistance. Nitride Carborizing May be the process. Bluing is also a salt/rusting process to form a protective surface rust layer.

My details may be foggy as it’s been years since I have looked at metal treatments. I’m sure others on here can jump in with better details. There were a few good articles comparing properties of many metal finishes floating around.

Really depends on the properties that matter. Protective layer, low sheen, low CEF, corrosion resistance in harsh environments, etc. and then the chemicals the coating will interact with. I have had NP3+ subjected to heavy temp cycles in abusive environments basically coated with caustic acids perform well. I’ve had ammonia based cleaners not harm cerakote albeit I was careful. I’ve had SU-100(denatured Kerosene) eat right through cerakote. I’ve seen Halide solutions and other Acetones fail to desolve optical coatings that IPA(Alcohol) cleaned off in seconds. I was never the Material Scientist in these trials but did work closely with the Designers and they drove home the point that a fairly innocuous solvent can have a strong reaction breaking chemical bonds if chosen correctly.

tcp #14444317 01/07/20
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The other thing to keep in mind is tolerances. Platings, PVD, and Coatings should be very different thicknesses based on application techniques. Internals with tighter tolerances would benefit more from a plating or PVD’s very minimal dimensional change. For outside surfaces it may be much less critical. Think hot dip galvanic coatings vs. anodizing. I know different metals and extreme examples but easy to explain In extremes. I’m very limited in my knowledge on the subject but find material science in general fascinating. They may not be active posters anymore but there are some brilliant minds around here that could give a PhD level thesis on the topic if they choose to jump in.

tcp #14444334 01/07/20
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It’s probably old news now but DLC was emerging as a popular choice when I last looked. Also to show I’m open minded, I’ve a few custom ARs in 10+ color cerakotes that hold up fine. Probably because in 4-5 years they I’ve only gotten as far as scoping them a year ago and they are still sitting unfired. I interested in hearing how the Birdsong turns out and any other newer technologies. I’ve a Pre-64 model 70 custom I’m working on that needs a finish at some point. At this rate it’ll be a decade though. Never time anymore for much if anything.

tcp #14488004 01/20/20
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had several rifles Melonite treated. Although I am no longer a fan of treating barrels, the actions and bolts turn out perfect. Mine have all been just as corrosion resistance as my Glocks. I have seen a number of pistols and bolt actions done with NP3 and it is really nice and almost negates the need to use oil but it is silver and I don't care for silver things on guns.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

tcp #14490654 01/21/20
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.