Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
NORM64 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello all, Has anyone tried any of the new Sierra GameChanger bullets? have been looking at them and was curious as to what kind of performance they were having. Thanks in advance for any input you may have good bad or ugly lol.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
HR IC

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a statistical sample of one. 270, 140 grain bullet on a large pronghorn at 257 yards broadside. It icepicked through both lungs with zero apparent expansion. He ran a rather long distance before dropping. Little hole in, little hole out. Accurate bullet though.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can’t help you with on-game performance, but the 130 gr. Shoots very accurately in my 6.5 Creedmoor with Reloader 17. It should perform well too.i

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lastround
I can’t help you with on-game performance, but the 130 gr. Shoots very accurately in my 6.5 Creedmoor.i

I’m with lastround; I’ve tried Ramshot Hunter and H4350 in a Rem 700 Mtn SS and both have worked well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only shot a medium sized pig with the 6.5mm 130gn GC. It exited with a side on shot and is one of the most accurate bullet in my Creedmoor.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I have a statistical sample of one. 270, 140 grain bullet on a large pronghorn at 257 yards broadside. It icepicked through both lungs with zero apparent expansion. He ran a rather long distance before dropping. Little hole in, little hole out. Accurate bullet though.

That’s crazy. Bullet too tuff? The non tipped game kings were bombs for me.

I have a bunch loaded up for close range work out of the creed, with 147s for the longer chores. Rethinking that.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Godogs57

That’s crazy. Bullet too tuff? The non tipped game kings were bombs for me.

I have a bunch loaded up for close range work out of the creed, with 147s for the longer chores. Rethinking that.

Heard that it was toughened up just a bit from other Sierras...just a bit. I do remember the jacket being thickened up but I could be wrong. I was surprised when I opened up the antelope. The lungs were in perfect shape...just two little holes and no apparent hydrostatic shock...about what I get with a double lung bow kill if you can imagine. He just leaked to death.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Two friends with a 270 and 06 respectively, can't remember the bullet weights (I think Sierra is offering only one TGK for each caliber currently), on 2 pronghorns, 1 deer, and 2 elk, all shots exited, all were one shot kills. One elk was shot through both shoulders at ~250 yds. All critters were mostly broadside. From what they told me and from what I have read it sounds as though the TGK is small on expansion and big on penetration. My friends also mention the bullets were very accurate.

I'm kind've interested in what a 140 TGK in my 270 would do on a quartering away elk, but I've pretty much decided I'm going with a 160 NPt next year for the fun of it.

My experience, including the old X-Bullets that sometimes didn't seem to expand, when there is an exit hole the critter gets obviously sick and doesn't go far.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot a mule deer buck with one of the 130's in my 6.5 Creedmoor. Was shooting 41.5gr H4350 at about 2725 fps. Buck was broadside at about 200 yards. Shot him just behind the front shoulder (actually just clipped the elbow) that buck did not take a step and fell right over on his nose. Was a blood spot about the size of a garbage can lid where he was standing. Bullet passed through and did not bloodshot the meat any worse than anything else. Accurate at the bench also - have shot many 1/2" 3 shot groups with them. I think I would even use them on an elk. I like 'em.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the 150 GameKings in my 308’s. Aren’t the Game Changers a GameKing with a tip?

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I like the 150 GameKings in my 308’s. Aren’t the Game Changers a GameKing with a tip?

Not exactly. There are shape and construction differences.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found this pic on the web. The GC jacket is definitely thicker.

Attached Images
Sierra-Gamechanger-1.jpg (13.86 KB, 574 downloads)
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Elvis

Thanks for sharing the photo. I’m liking what Sierra has done by thickening the jacket on the Game Changers. They may be better hunting bullets then the Game Kings.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by Elvis

Thanks for sharing the photo. I’m liking what Sierra has done by thickening the jacket on the Game Changers. They may be better hunting bullets then the Game Kings.

I forgot to add the bullets in the pic are both .308 165gn. I'd assume that the thicker jackets on the GC would be carried over into the other GC weights.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It seems all reports on the Game Changers on game indicate that these are pretty hard bullets. The jacket looks thicker, but not crazy thick. Maybe it has a higher antimony (harder core), too.

So, they seem to be different than the other sleek, high BC bullets from that standpoint. Most are softer for long range, and these appear to be harder.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems like they should have tapered the jacket more on the 165, but that is a pretty big hollow point behind the tip. I don't know how it happens but occasionally the hollow point of a bullet can get clogged resulting in little expansion. Don't know if that is a factor or not for the mixed reports?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot a large bodied muley @ just under 500yds with 130gr GC started at 2825fps, hit rib going in and nice quarter sized exit with shredded lungs. Also two antelope does at 200 and 380yds with same results. About perfect

100% Public land DIY!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looking for further updates a year later & hopefully from a 6mm caliber. Thanks

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Got some to try in a 257 Weatherby. More hunting in timber so a tougher bullet won’t hurt my feelings and hopefully shorter shots at weatherby speed makes for good expansion on whitetails.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Killed a medium sized pronghorn buck a couple of weeks ago with a 30 cal 125 gr. out of a .308 - MV 3227 fps. He was about 150 yds away standing broadside, bullet took out a rib on both sides and did quite a bit of damage inside. To me it seemed like a pretty tough bullet, more like an Accubond than, say, a BT or Game King. Frankly I expected more internal damage and a huge exit hole, but really the only important thing is that it killed him quickly.

Just a sample of one on a rather small animal but it worked well.

I have some 22 cal 64 gr.s loaded I'll try next month.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
234 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 35 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.