Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I just order a few boxes of this stuff from a sote here called Graf & Sons. They say it is made with "highly polished PPU brass and the 120gr all copper Aussie bullet. It was on sale for $9.99 per 10. I couldn't find out how fast they were going or any reviews. Anybody down there ever use them or in another caliber? Thanks.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The only "all Aussie copper bullet" I use in my 7x57 would a 160gn Woodleigh Protected Point. The lightest they make those is 140gn, which I haven't tried. I have the Woodleigh reloading book and there's no mention of a 120gn bullet for the 7x57. It could be a Taipan bullet, but I don't know of any other Aus made bullets they could be talking about. Are they solid copper or jacketed?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Aussie Copper Projectiles were turned copper bullets in a couple of designs. Word was that they performed well on game, but a lot of people ordered and paid for them without receiving them, and the business was closed down after only a short period.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have some turned copper projectiles I've yet to try called Outer Edge Bullets. They are still being made so probably not the ones you're talking about. They make hunting bullets as well as target bullets. The hunting ones have a larger meplate while the target bullets have a long ogive and a very fine hollow point.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
It is most likely to be the ACP Aussie Copper Projectiles, Mark Savage was doing business with Graff's and they were importing into Australia through Mark
Marks bullet business has gone bust and is no more, and that is a shame because the bullets were good and performed very well on game> I shot them in a number of calibres
Graffs probably have the last stock of them

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by triplecanopy
I have some turned copper projectiles I've yet to try called Outer Edge Bullets. They are still being made so probably not the ones you're talking about. They make hunting bullets as well as target bullets. The hunting ones have a larger meplate while the target bullets have a long ogive and a very fine hollow point.

The Outer Edge bullets are better than the ACP bullets in my opinion, but i dont feel they are very good for long range as they are advertised to reliably expand at upwards of 1800fps, the ACP bullet still expanded at 1600fps and Mark also did special orders of a softer copper for long range application or for low velocity cartridges, there are new hunting bullets from Outer Edge that have a ball bearing meplat that offers a higher bc and initiates expansion

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
These are listed as going about 2660 fps, so no barn burner. They look very well made though. I hope to get out and shoot some pretty soon. I'm getting everything ready to save some time later. I just loaded up some trial loads in the 7x57 with the Hornady 120 Vmax ( coyotes/varmints) Nosler 120 NBT, Nosler 140 AB, and both Sierra 160 BTHP and their 175 SBT. I hope this rifle shoots well. Merry Christmas Mates!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks Jim, a nice sunny 26deg Centigrade here mate. Going up to 31 next day or so. Merry Christmas to you to.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Bummer, the rifle I had was a lemon, I didn't even try the 120s. I will save them for whenever I actually do run across an accurate 7x57. This is the 2nd 80's FWT I've that would not shoot well. I had a Mod 700 that some "proverbial Bubba" had screwed up the bolt trying to add a Mod 70 type safety.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Jim, my 7x57 is a Zastava M70 one of the commercial Mauser actions. I've had to get it smoothed down a bit because while Zastava make good barrels the rest of their machine work is closer to blacksmithing. In any case I've found the rifle shoots well with Hornady 139gn SSTs, but even better are the Woodleigh 160 grain Protected Points. Mind you I only shoot 3 shot groups in hunting rifles. I figure that if you haven't killed it with 3 rounds you might want to take up another activity.
Cheers,
John

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
They tried to sell the ACP Aussie Copper Projectiles over here in the US . I don't think they went over well. I see that the places that are selling have really drooped the price to get rid of them. There was no customer support from the sellers of hte makers. I tried to get the bullet lengths and load data but all I got back was " O they are great-- just load them and shoot them" After my forth Email to "Down Under" I just wrote them off. PS for the price of Woodleigh bullets here in the states you would think that they were made of gold.

Jim Gibson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 721 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.