Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am trying to find out when the one I just picked up in a trade was built. It has the Dec 25th 1906 patented dated on the octaconal barrel so its after 1906. The serial number is 144612. It has a scope mount marked N5 with a nice clear Mossberg no. M4D on top.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a later one. Should have the later 1914 style forearm. Probably made right before WWI or right after. GeneB might be able to get it closer.

The N mounts were not made till the late 40's, early 50's if I remember correctly.

PS... advise to not use high speed ammo. Stick with standard velocity or lower.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Rick. I'll try to post a few pictures tomorrow. It is a pretty slick little rig. The glass is clear and the bore is nice. I'm hoping it all checks out. It should be a fun little tree rat killer with standard ammo.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Here are a few picture. I broke some clays at lunch with it at 20yards off hand with some Wolf target ammo. I had a couple misfires but it cycled them fine.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That's super nice. What scope and mount is that? Must of been a blast to shoot, did you try any shorts in it? Didn't know I wanted one till now. shocked

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
The mount is marked N5 and the scope is a Mossberg M4D 4 power

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've always loved a .22 pump gun. When I went to the county fair as a kid I spent most of my money at the shooting gallery with those things. There was plenty of opportunity for thrill rides back on the farm if you got creative.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coondawg
I had a couple misfires but it cycled them fine.

Typically on these early 22's the end of the firing pin is quite a bit larger than used on more modern guns and this can cause it to misfire. When these were made rimfire ammo was loaded in softer copper cases and a larger firing pin area was more reliable and less likely to pierce the soft cases. The brass cases came into use with Hi-Speed ammunition which needed something stronger. I have several older 22's that have had the sides of the firing pin filed down to make them more reliable. Compare the firing pin mark on the cases with those from a modern 22.

As mentioned yours is the version introduced in 1914 and the stock attachment was a weak point, typically most will have at least some small cracks starting behind the trigger guard and often some serious cracks. It's also hard to find an example of these with the original stock finish, instead of just stabilizing the cracks most seem to feel the need to refinish the stock, I'll take original with any cracks.

Steve99 has been keeping data on these, based on his serial number data (and my math, which I hope's good) the 1914 style 1903's would have had a production between 6260 and 8310. This is a small percentage of production, the highest serial number I know of is 146995 but this number includes the Model 1909's.

I am not a fan of the side mounts, but they do work. You will notice that they are made to mount on the part of the receive not solidly attached to the barrel, which could have some play, recently there was a Model 1909 at auction with the mount on the right side, It had an opening milled in it for the ejection port.

Last edited by GeneB; 12/17/19.

Gene
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the replies and info!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one with a Weaver T5 mount (would have preferred it didn't), here it is with another of the 1903/1914 style, even with the issues these are the best two I have been able to acquire -
[Linked Image]

This one also had some factory repair work done sometime after ~1931~ when Hi-Speed ammo was offered, that's when it got the warning stamp -
[Linked Image]
I think the factory work might have been a new barrel, the barrel is crowned which they did not do until after WWI and it has an earlier type rear sight.

Here's where they crack (if they aren't cracked be very suspicious. it's the norm!) -
[Linked Image]
Both have cracks starting and the one has had the stock replaced, the original was repaired & refinished and all the edges were sanded undersize, I wanted it to 'look' more original, it's has a special order 26" barrel.

Here's the original wood from the one with the 26" barrel, you can see just how thin the wood is and the way they attach with the screw at an angle puts stress right at this weak point. You can also see the rounded edges that look worse when on the gun.
[Linked Image]

They have different slide arms, the thick version is early.
[Linked Image]

Gene
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Gene! Great info and Nice rifles! I'll look at mine a little closer tonight.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I guess this rifle is in the norm. The butt stock and plate are matching.

Thanks Gene for your help.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 4 of the 1903's.
None have cracks.

Question on the high-speed ammo warning.
What is the concern with high-speed ammo?
I can't imagine a 22 LR can do much damage in a worst case scenario.
Thoughts?

Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are your 1903's the 1914 versions which are the ones being discussed? I would find it hard to believe you have even one of them without cracks, the ones pictured here are the 1914 versions and have the same stock design as the Model 1914's which also have the cracking problem. I have a number of this version and some 1914's and of all of them the only ones with out cracked stocks are a couple parts guns that don't have a stock!

What makes you think there would be no concerns shooting higher pressure ammunition in any gun not designed for it not matter the caliber? I don't think Savage would go through all the trouble of making a warning stamp if their designer did not see issues. I have a number of older 22 parts guns with damage to the locking surfaces which I think had to be due to using ammunition they weren't made to handle. The Savage 1904's are often found with the bolt handles welded or brazed back in and sometimes with cracks in the receiver, the last 1904 produced were stamped "REGULAR CARTRIDGE" under the caliber stamp as a warning against the Hi-Speed, several Stevens models are stamped the same. I have the added warning stamp on a couple 1903.s, a 1912, a 1914, an early 29, a Stevens 75 pump and a Stevens No 10 pistol. Marlin had to strengthen the bolts on there 22 lever actions in the early 1930's due to cracking caused by the new ammunition.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
coondawg

The closest SN I have on file with a date from a factory letter is SN 146995 dated in May 1922 so yours would be a little earlier but can't say with any certainty. But if you were to claim either 1921 or 1922, it would be hard to argue. You can get a factory letter from Savage if you want that.

Enjoy that oldster, try to find a RF shoulder arm that loaded from a detachable box magazine designed in 1903. Yous looks all original except for the scope and mount. As Gene and Rick have said standard velocity or target speed ammo only. Find some shorts, the slower ones if you can, and try them out, a lot of fun.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve, I think SN 146995 might be wrong, I think it is mine that I sent you the letter data on with the May 1922 date and I have the serial number as 146955 - I might have sent you the wrong number. Either way both numbers would be from the supposed run of 1000 made in 1922, other than the last 1000 all 1903's were pre-WWI so there was no production after about ~1915~1916~ - his gun would be before then. I find the 22's made before WWI will not have crowned barrels. 146955 lettered as part of the closeout of the 1903's sold to Hibbard, Spenser & Bartlett co. of Chicago, this is also where the closeout of the pistols inventory went. I acquired another one from the last 1000 that's higher - 147287.

Last edited by GeneB; 12/22/19.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting old ain't for sissies! Between seeing it on the log and typing it in the post the 5 turned into a 9. Thanks for catching that Gene! SN146955 is the correct number. And based on what Gene says about the the 1000 that were completed and sold to the hardware company, his estimate of 1914 or 15 is as good as any.

coondawg, don't lose track of the magazine. If you do, a replacement is a little spendy. Yours is a nice looking rifle.

Gene, I've added your new number to the log, thanks!

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the info Steve and Gene! It is a fun little rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve whats the earliest you've got in that area?

I own 1434XX, just wondering if it was part of the last 1000 or not?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.