Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

"Defiantly" something broken besides the muzzle then. #chronographsmatter

I would agree it was being "Defiant" 😁 My truck has "breaks" and when I apply them it never speeds up πŸ˜‚

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't all the effects of using a brake happen after the bullet has left the muzzle and the brake alters the flow of the gasses escaping behind the bullet?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Trystan

I would agree it was being "Defiant" 😁 My truck has "breaks" and when I apply them it never speeds up πŸ˜‚

Okay.............ummmm

Trystan - Hanco - Pete 53 = Trystan - Hanco - Pete 53

Yea campfire.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/23/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't all the effects of using a brake happen after the bullet has left the muzzle and the brake alters the flow of the gasses escaping behind the bullet?

Yes, but if the expanding gasses in the barrel only push the rifle rearward when the bullet is in the barrel, would brakes have any effect at all?

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by Bisley
Rounds with the muzzle break were 69 fps faster on average than without. Odd?

You'll often see similar changes in velocity with two different people shooting the same rifle/load. You can also see significant changes in velocity shooting the same rifle/load prone, benched or standing. The more the rifle moves rearward as the bullet moves down the barrel the slower the muzzle velocity will be. Brakes reduce the velocity of the rifle rearward so will often increase the bullet velocity at the muzzle. If you were to prevent the rifle from moving rearward by placing the butt against a rigid object, you would in theory see the maximum velocity possible because more energy is available to push the bullet down the barrel rather than being used to push the rifle rearward.

I’m not so sure about all this. Muzzle velocity is not relative to the position of the bore. It’s relative to the fixed position of the measuring device.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"... you would in theory see the maximum velocity possible because more energy is available to push the bullet down the barrel rather than being used to push the rifle rearward."

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Doesn't matter where your butt is.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I set the chronograph about 11 feet away

This is your main problem.

The muzzle brake diverted a lot of the blast, but the bare muzzle probably allowed gas to reach the chrono. Muzzle blast definitely messes with the readings on optical chronographs, and the Shooting Chrony brand seems to be more sensitive to stuff like that.

My suggestions - step back to ~20 yards (not feet) to eliminate muzzle blast issues and try again. I get more consistent results standing at least 10-15 yards away with magnum rifles, and a little farther is better.

Also, buy a better chrono when you get a chance. For about the same price the Pro Chrono DLX is pretty good, or you can spend a lot more of course.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Yes, but if the expanding gasses in the barrel only push the rifle rearward when the bullet is in the barrel, would brakes have any effect at all?

Yes. After the bullet leaves the barrel, the gasses push forward on the brake; that force counters some of the rifle's rearward movement.

Think of it like this:
You have your car in reverse, and want to back up at a certain speed. You stab the throttle and it jumps backward too much, so you then apply the brake to slow it down a little. The brakes in your car are doing the same thing as a muzzle brake. (and the word brake means the same concept in both cases.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmy3
Wouldn't the muzzle blast from the brake be headed away from the crono.....?

Yes. Sorry for the confusion, my point was that the difference in muzzle blast directed toward the chrono between braked and un-braked can mess with the readings of two bullets of identical velocity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
I set the chronograph about 11 feet away

This is your main problem.

The muzzle brake diverted a lot of the blast, but the bare muzzle probably allowed gas to reach the chrono. Muzzle blast definitely messes with the readings on optical chronographs, and the Shooting Chrony brand seems to be more sensitive to stuff like that.

My suggestions - step back to ~20 yards (not feet) to eliminate muzzle blast issues and try again. I get more consistent results standing at least 10-15 yards away with magnum rifles, and a little farther is better.

Also, buy a better chrono when you get a chance. For about the same price the Pro Chrono DLX is pretty good, or you can spend a lot more of course.

Yes, thank you. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted 20 feet. I typically have the chrono set at 15-30 meters to completely eliminate any problems related to muzzle blast. That should have read 20 yards, not 20 feet, though 20 feet is a lot better than 11 feet wink

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

Yes. After the bullet leaves the barrel, the gasses push forward on the brake; that force counters some of the rifle's rearward movement.

Think of it like this:
You have your car in reverse, and want to back up at a certain speed. You stab the throttle and it jumps backward too much, so you then apply the brake to slow it down a little. The brakes in your car are doing the same thing as a muzzle brake. (and the word brake means the same concept in both cases.)

This is very true, and the bullet's velocity should be the same either way. The rifle is set in motion and gains momentum while the bullet is in the bore, and when the bullet leaves the bore, the rifle has a certain amount of rearward velocity. This is regardless of whether or not there is a brake on the muzzle. This answers MCMXI's point about conservation of momentum affecting the bullet's velocity. Then after the bullet exits the muzzle, the blast radiates outward from the muzzle and hits the ports of the brake, pushing the rifle forward, as Yondering described, but that takes place after the bullet has exited the muzzle and has stopped being accelerated by the pressurized gas in the bore.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.