Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I thought this was an extremely good deal - my local gun/pawn shop has a minty N.E.F. Varmint weight single shot Rifle in caliber 204 Ruger for sale.
The price is $175.00.
I only had a moment to peruse this new today offering and the metal appeared perfect - including the muzzle.
It is blued and has a wood stock.
I did not try the trigger but the three N.E.F.'s I own all have wonderful no creep triggers on them.
I assume this one is the same.
The Rifle has a variable scope of unknown manufacture on it.
I will get the particulars on the scope when I return to the shop later this afternoon.
I had to leave as I was just meeting a Hunting partner there and dropping off three Rifles I had cleaned for him and I needed to get home to let the Culligan man in.
If that Rifle is still there next Tuesday (after the big Bozeman, Montana gunshow this weekend) I will more than likely buy it myself.
What a perfect tag along in the truck, Varmint Rifle.
If anyone is interested the shops phone number is 406-683-9844 - Tuesday through Saturday 9-5 M/T.
By the way my N.E.F.'s all shoot very well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: No sales tax in Montana!

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Some additional info. The Rifle is actually a Harrington & Richardson "Handi-Rifle" which according to some at the LGS is a doppleganger of the N.E.F.
Anyway the Rifle is in "perfect shape" I could find NO flaws in it anywhere.
The scope is a Nikko-Sterling 3x9 variable with Du-Plex style reticle.
The trigger is excellent - crisp and light.
The hammer has a "hammer-extension" fitted to it.
The rifling looks crisp and fresh - bright and shiny.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
VarmintGuy: Rifle and scope combo has sold - and, it shoots amazingly well with factory Hornday 32 grain V-Max bullets!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: As good as this humble little Rifle shot (and I am very thankful for that!) the trigger on this rig is just incredibly "heavy" (horrible)!
I don't know if its crisp/clean or not as I literally have to "heave" on the trigger to get it to go off.
I am puzzled how I could get it to shoot as well as it did with that heavy a trigger pull.
I am guessing it take 9 to 10 pounds of pressure to get it to go off.
I don't want to hook up either of my trigger gauges to this trigger for fear of breaking/damaging them!
Anyway my other N.E.F. rimfire Handi-Rifles (rimfires) have light crisp triggers and I am wondering if this "centerfire trigger" has some different mechanism that has built in "heaviness to it?
Anyone ever "lighten" the trigger on an Harrington & Richardson.
Thanks in advance for any information - maybe I will search/peruse You-Tube to see if anything can be done to this Rifles trigger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can you polish the sears a little to get some pull weight down?

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Tri70: I am writing down your suggestion and will take it and my gun to my Varmint Hunting friend and retired "gunsmith" friend to see if he can disassemble and do that.
Thanks for the suggestion - I am just mystified at the horrifc difference in my rimfire "NEF's" and this centerfire Rifle.
Thanks again - I got my first Varmint with it a couple days ago a flying nest raiding pest (he had lit on a fence post in my yard) that has done its last misdeed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
VarmintGuy,

When I worked at H&R and bought a new gun I always had one of the gunsmiths polish the trigger and sear. It always made a big difference. If the gunsmith you're going to have work on the rifle is unfamiliar in disassembly of the H&R you can go to Grey Beard Outdoors to the H&R section. There's a sticky there with detailed instructions.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Aboltfan: Pardon my slow reply - I will send a P/M apology to you as well.
Thank you for your experiences and suggestion.
I did kill another "flying Varmint" with my "economy" Varminter a couple of days ago.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 10 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.