Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And it's a tackdriver with 100gr TTSX's and anything Sierra.Good luck with your's.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
A pic from the auction I bought...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ooh ooh Baby! That's a pretty one. sqweeler's too, obviously. Makes me miss my French-stocked Longmaster all over again.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some more. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stop.........enough to make a 6.5 guy go 25! smile Merry Christmas everyone! Nice wood.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Merry Christmas. Dusted them off for a photo

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
The 250 AI is the one I'd really like......but then you are just .007 away from a yes, the dreaded 6.5 Creedmoor! Never was a Roberts fan, good round, but then you are almost a twin of the 6.5x55........they all get the job done no doubt. I do like the vanilla 25-06........it needs a big brother....commercialized..........

The Wins and Kimbers with blue/wood are nice.

I've done both the 250AI and 25 Souper in short action Ruger 77s and prefer the 25 Souper 'cause it is easier, one run through the resizing die, and fed better in my 77 RSI.

That said, the easiest .257" bore round is the 25-06 and although I was a 257AI snob for a long time, I have come to appreciate the 25-06, even with a 22" barrel. The Marlin XL7 that I bought from someone on this site back in 2012 shoots the Hornady American Whitetail 117 grain factory load better than a $280 rifle ought to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by 25epps
Mule Deer
Thanks for clarification on the 250 savage improved I knew there was two different angles just thought they were both AI as my reloading stuff just mentions a 28 degree, 40 degree and standard
My own personal 25/303 Epps Newton improved has a 35 degree shoulder

So in short, you were wrong.

How so?

The Ackley is 40°, but there is a 250 Improved 28° cartridge. A reloading die set from Huntingtons' is # 56162

another reloading set: die set or another die set

Reamer: reamer

Did you read the whole thread? Do you need Cliff notes?

There is a 28° Improved round, not just the 40° version. So 2epps is correct and you are wrong about being one a single Improved version of the .250 out there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
So, exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Much depends on the amount of alcohol that you've been drinking or how much of a nit picker you feel is appropriate for the topic and participants.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The 250 AI is the one I'd really like......but then you are just .007 away from a yes, the dreaded 6.5 Creedmoor! Never was a Roberts fan, good round, but then you are almost a twin of the 6.5x55........they all get the job done no doubt. I do like the vanilla 25-06........it needs a big brother....commercialized..........

I've done both the 250AI and 25 Souper in short action Ruger 77s and prefer the 25 Souper 'cause it is easier, one run through the resizing die, and fed better in my 77 RSI.

That said, the easiest .257" bore round is the 25-06 and although I was a 257AI snob for a long time, I have come to appreciate the 25-06, even with a 22" barrel. The Marlin XL7 that I bought from someone on this site back in 2012 shoots the Hornady American Whitetail 117 grain factory load better than a $280 rifle ought to.
I Knew a fellow with a Bob AI, he ran it HOT.......VERY HOT....Great speeds, unknown pressures! So......yes I ran a Ruger 1B, Mild recoil, beautiful wood, shot about 7/8" with factory 117s.......only sold it b/c it was just too heavy for a sporter to tote around. Sure do like the little Blue BTs....never cared for the dull brown ones in 6.5, but they perform.

The little 25 BR was written up in Varmint Hunting magazine a few years ago....guy set back a barrel as I recall to 22", on a Ruger, a 1AB it seems, it was the lighter sporter contour. Shot 100s around 3,000 as I recall, with great accuracy. Also read about the Souper, IIRC, that is a 308 case? Speeds were VERY high, and accuracy Great.....it was an all out custom rifle using custom bullets as I recall. I would if the 250AI can easily be made by passing 6.5 CM brass thru a die? IDK. Just a thought, knowing they are very similar. A local shooter used to form 6XC out of 22/250, but it seems I found a few cases left over....that may had failed, not sure how many times fired.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

If you want to make things easy with .25's, buy a .25-06. The ammo/brass is everywhere, and rifles normally shoot VERY accurately, even with loads that theoretically shouldn't, such as around 52 grains of either IMR or H4350 with a 100-grain bullet.

But real rifle loonies do not generally want to make things easy. Instead they're much like my paternal grandmother, who homesteaded by herself in central Montana in 1919. The line in our family was: "Grandma Bee didn't think anything was worth doing unless you did it the hard way."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve got a 257AI in a Dakota 97. It’s a fantastic rifle, that turns out nail driving accuracy with 117gr Sierra GK or 115gr Nosler BT. What I like most about the AI is that it’s easy on brass and, easy to fireform cases.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I will donate a few cases and try that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep.

If you want to make things easy with .25's, buy a .25-06. The ammo/brass is everywhere, and rifles normally shoot VERY accurately, even with loads that theoretically shouldn't, such as around 52 grains of either IMR or H4350 with a 100-grain bullet.

But real rifle loonies do not generally want to make things easy. Instead they're much like my paternal grandmother, who homesteaded by herself in central Montana in 1919. The line in our family was: "Grandma Bee didn't think anything was worth doing unless you did it the hard way."

Being a Norwegian and embracing suffering as our people do, I can relate to Grandma Bee... but I just happen to have 300 pieces of RP Roberts Brass on hand 😀

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep.

When I was younger I was more inclined to swim against the current and valued cool over practical, but with age came enlightenment.

Either that or I just got lazy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mule Deer
Thanks for clarification on the 250 savage improved I knew there was two different angles just thought they were both AI as my reloading stuff just mentions a 28 degree, 40 degree and standard
My own personal 25/303 Epps Newton improved has a 35 degree shoulder

So in short, you were wrong.

How so?

The Ackley is 40°, but there is a 250 Improved 28° cartridge. A reloading die set from Huntingtons' is # 56162

another reloading set: die set or another die set

Reamer: reamer

Did you read the whole thread? Do you need Cliff notes?

There is a 28° Improved round, not just the 40° version. So 2epps is correct and you are wrong about being one a single Improved version of the .250 out there.

Look retard, I'll type slow for you.

First post I replied to, in which your BFF said that Layne just used 6mm Creedmoor brass necked up in his 250 AI. No fireforming.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Recently a gunwriter layne Simpson I think decided to build a 250 savage AI, for brass he just used 6mm credemore case necked to 25 cal. No fire forming just load and shoot. Me thinks the credemore just reinvented the wheel. Is it the 6.5 credemore or the 6.5/250 savage AI.

Layne must have magic dies. Considering a 250 Ackley has a 40 degree shoulder and the 6mm Creedmoor has a 30 degree shoulder.

PS: Give spell check a whirl.

Then this one.

Girl hunter my spelling may not be perfect but if my memory serves me correctly the 250 AI can be had with two different shoulder angles. Do some research and see for yourself.
As for the creed having tighter saami specs I doubt it saami specs set out a max and minimal spec for all cartridges.
Loaded to the same pressure and same tight spec chamber there would be stuff all in it between a .257 and .264. My spelling may not be acceptable to girl hunter but surely .007 of an inch ain't gonna make a great deal of difference in the real world. Both will kill things. My personal 25 is capable of 0.90 groups in my old hands and kills stuff as far as I can shoot. I think 7 thousands of an in is clutching at straws. Both ore fine cartridges for thier intended purpose.

A 250 Ackley Improved is 40 degree shoulder, period.

So AGAIN for the two of you that apparently suffer the ability to comprehend anything. It wasn't about TWO different IMPROVED versions, it was about the AI (Ackley Improved) having a 40 degree shoulder.

I was the guy saying you could neck up 30 degree shoulder brass and use it in a 40 degree chamber, no fireforming needed.

I wasn't the one that said the 250AI can have 2 different shoulder angles, that was your BFF again. The ACKLEY IMPROVED, has a 40 degree shoulder.

I'm sure this will befuddle you even more, so just drink a can of Ensure and take a nap.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So AGAIN for the two of you that apparently suffer the ability to comprehend anything. It wasn't about TWO different IMPROVED versions, it was about the AI (Ackley Improved) having a 40 degree shoulder.

I was the guy saying you could neck up 30 degree shoulder brass and use it in a 40 degree chamber, no fireforming needed.

I wasn't the one that said the 250AI can have 2 different shoulder angles, that was your BFF again. The ACKLEY IMPROVED, has a 40 degree shoulder.

I'm sure this will befuddle you even more, so just drink a can of Ensure and take a nap.

What is it your time of the month? He thought the Ackley came in both 28 & 40 angles. Instead being a b!tch by saying only he was wrong, maybe you should pointed out (so others reading this thread might also understand) that even though there is a 28° version 250 Improved, it isn't considered an Ackley. Or is it because you had no clue about the 28° Improved version?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What is it your time of the month? He thought the Ackley came in both 28 & 40 angles. Instead being a b!tch by saying only he was wrong, maybe you should pointed out (so others reading this thread might also understand) that even though there is a 28° version 250 Improved, it isn't considered an Ackley. Or is it because you had no clue about the 28° Improved version?

Aren't the terms "Ackley Improved" and "Improved" synonymous?

Many, maybe most, people add the suffix "AI" to indicate an "Improved" cartridge even if POA has no role in that cartridge case's design "improvement". I have noticed that Redding doesn't credit POA, as their dies for "improved" cartridges are referred to as "improved" or "improved xx-degree" if there are multiple versions of that particular cartridge that feature different shoulder angles. OTOH, Hornady and Lee credit POA for all "improved" cartridges in their "Ackley Improved" dies.

If boorish behavior bothers you, as it does me, you can find serenity in the "ignore" feature. "Ignore" is a wonderful tool and I highly recommend it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I Knew a fellow with a Bob AI, he ran it HOT.......VERY HOT....Great speeds, unknown pressures! So......yes I ran a Ruger 1B, Mild recoil, beautiful wood, shot about 7/8" with factory 117s.......only sold it b/c it was just too heavy for a sporter to tote around. Sure do like the little Blue BTs....never cared for the dull brown ones in 6.5, but they perform.

The little 25 BR was written up in Varmint Hunting magazine a few years ago....guy set back a barrel as I recall to 22", on a Ruger, a 1AB it seems, it was the lighter sporter contour. Shot 100s around 3,000 as I recall, with great accuracy. Also read about the Souper, IIRC, that is a 308 case? Speeds were VERY high, and accuracy Great.....it was an all out custom rifle using custom bullets as I recall. I would if the 250AI can easily be made by passing 6.5 CM brass thru a die? IDK. Just a thought, knowing they are very similar. A local shooter used to form 6XC out of 22/250, but it seems I found a few cases left over....that may had failed, not sure how many times fired.

At least some of POA's loading data for the 257AI is very hot, far exceeding any currently recommended loads. I remember a member claiming 257 BEE performance from a 257AI with loads that he got from data that Ackley published. IIRC, he hadn't run any of the loads over a chronograph, so he really didn't know what they were doing, but because POA said so, it was so, at least in his mind.

I had a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts awhile back, around 2003 or 2004. I understand that the guy who I sold it to had it rechambered to 25-06 in order to eliminate or reduce the freebore jump to the rifling that it came with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to derail this critical debate, but just curious: your name is girlhunter, but in your post you say “I am the guy...”. So what gender are you?

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.