Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have. EXCELLENT. At the beginning of the movie the producers claimed it was historically accurate. I didn't believe them. Hollywood never does that. At the end of the movie, I had to admit, if it wasn't, I could find where it wasn't. E

BP-B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Woody numbnuts as Nimitz.

Pass.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I agree, they could have cast someone, anyone, other than Woody Harrleson as Nimitz, but overall, I liked the movie. Much better than the old Charleton Heston, Robert Mitchum movie.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least no Alec Baldwin or John Travolta in 'commanding' roles.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Woody numbnuts as Nimitz.

Pass.

A commie-lib...not for me.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Modern special effects make that movie worth seeing. I didn't realize until later that the hero sailor who was thrown overboard by the Japanese was one of the Jonas Brothers.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It will be on TV before long.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The one made in the 70s with henry fonda...

Yeah, I think that fuggin thing was on once a month on superstation WTBS.

JESUS H Christ pop, we've seen this a dozen times... why why why? And holy fugk..tora tora tora, gawd old man your brain is turning into styrofoam.
Can we watch The Shining again??I like watchin Scatman Crothers take an ax in the back.

-conversations with my dad...

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I agree it is well worth seeing. I generally don't hold with making the same movie over and over. After the previous Midway movie and Tora Tora Tora I thought they should spend their efforts on something else, but this was an excellent effort that justified one more try. Now I'd like to see someone in Hollywood do the Battle off Samar as told in "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" by James D. Hornfischer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I agree, they could have cast someone, anyone, other than Woody Harrleson as Nimitz, but overall, I liked the movie. Much better than the old Charleton Heston, Robert Mitchum movie.

Loved the movie, overall. Hated Woody Harrelson as Nimitz. His acting sucked. Why does he continue to get these types of rolls?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Richard Halsey Best scoring bomb strikes on two different Japanese carriers the same day.
Awesome.
Liked the movie in spite of Woody Harrelson.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really liked it. I watched a documentary on youtube about it before the movie and it was pretty accurate

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe it’ll make Netflix soon.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It was worth seeing at the matinee discounted price.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think it was worth seeing regardless of when you go. I saw them both and the new one is far better than the first. I don't care for Woody Harrelson but he does have somewhat of a resemblance to Nimitz. My guess is that's why they used him. I don't know what CGI stands for but the computer work was fantastic, and I'll tell you right now when they are diving on the Japanese ships, your butt will be puckered. I highly recommend.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I think it was worth seeing regardless of when you go. I saw them both and the new one is far better than the first. I don't care for Woody Harrelson but he does havesomewhat of a resemblance to Nimitz. My guess is that's why they used him. I don't know what CGI stands for but the computer work was fantastic, and I'll tell you right now when they are diving on the Japanese ships, your butt will be puckered. I highly recommend.

Computer Generated Imagery, so you got it right.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Movie was very good.
Producers sought out information to try to make it as accurate as possible from authors and some of the few participants of the battle who are still alive and active on a website devoted to the battle, "Battle of Midway Roundtable."

Movie was too narrowly focused for my taste, in that it focused almost solely on the actions of the flyers from Enterprise, and glossed over the story of the flyers from Yorktown and Hornet, as well as the USMC flyers. So many great story lines and heroics that didnt get covered, but still a great movie.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Watching Dick Best bounce his SBD off the Hiryu’s deck and then drag his wingtip through the ocean was oh so realistic wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This one was better

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
This one was better

That is still one of my favorites.

My dad missed Midway by being sent to a school at Pearl Harbor after he had been on Yorktown at Coral Sea. He was a young Lt JG and in communications. He went to coding/de-coding classes as Yorktown rushed off half repaired to Midway.

He ended up on quite a few islands and decoded messages, both ours and the Japs'. Right at the end of the war he was assigned to Yorktown II and was shocked at the estimates of invasion of Japan. He decoded messages that were estimates of losses. 'Til his dying day he loved the atomic bomb.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.