Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 300 Fryxell mold from mountain molds in a 444 is awesome. I shoot 270 grain Keith bullets in my 44’s and don’t think I’d ever need more penetration. As usual, sometimes bigger is more fun! I don’t need 540 grain bullets in my .45-70, but the rifle came with a few boxes of them so I shoot them just because!

Last edited by Tom_in_AZ; 10/21/19.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well it cooled off enough for me to cast some bullets and test 4 of my first loads before it rained me out. The LEE 310 Gr. WFN mold sure made me some nice looking bullets. I cast them 50/50 from some commercially cast 500 grain 45-70 bullets and pure lead. My scheme is to run a big flat nosed bullet at between 1400 and 1500 fps with a light charge of powder. In this case I used 18.0 grains of Blue dot. I used CCI 250 Magnum primers which was a mistake as one round of the five did not go off and another I had to pull the trigger on several time to get it to go off. Then it started raining so I was done for today. I dip lubed the bullet and used it without a gas check, the three that went off like they should went into one ragged hole at 50 yards. Interestingly this load hit to point of aim with the rifle sighted in for the Nosler 300 gr. JHP powered by 29.0 grains of IMR 4227, good deal. So more testing to come.
About going to the lease. I planned on staying two days but it didn't happen. I get through the gate and go a hundred yards or so and decide to check a hog toy that I am sure is empty and to look down the hill at a stock pond. And there to my right are three feral hogs. They for some reason haven't run off already so I slowly turn around and go back to the truck to get my truck gun which is loaded and propped up between the seat and console. This is my Model 7 Remington in 7-08. I quietly sneak back looking through the brush and spot a hog looking my way under the brush so I shoot him in the face, the 140 gr. Partition being immediately effective! Turns out to be a 125 pound boar so young his teeth are small. So I hang him in a tree, clean him and go fill the two feeders, on the way out I load him up and head for the processor. It was pretty warm so I had to get him to a cooler or he would have spoiled. I was at the lease less than 45 minutes. Going again Saturday and bringing my Grandson Drake with me, supposed to be cooler so it probably will be OK to let a hog hang over night instead of having to leave.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
More testing with the 310 grain bullet shows it throws fliers for me, best groups at 100 yards are near 5 inches. Got my old Lyman 429421 out and cast some 240 grain bullets, loaded and tested with Blue Dot powder I cut the group size in half.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot a few LBT's over the last 30 years, I think it has been that long. After going through a bushel basket of .44 mag. hand guns I settled on a S&W .44 Mountain Gun about 15 or so years ago.and had it Mag Na Ported last year. I usually run 280 grain LBT's though it and it is all the recoil I desire in a hand gun. It is also as big a hand gun as I am willing to carry and usually carry it in the excellent leather Guides Choice chest holster by Diamond D holsters in Wasilla, Alaska.

The 280 grain weight gives lots of penetration in my informal tests and did go through a moose's head that I finished off long ago. Those 280 grain LBT's also shoot pretty good out of my wife's Mod. 94 Win. in caliber .44 mag. She calls it her "berry picking" gun. She asked me if it would kill a brown bear and I said just aim for the middle and give the bear all 10 rounds from the magazine and he should die.

Most I know in Alaska are convinced the heavier the hard cast the better and that 340 grain LBT at over 1,400 fps from Buffalo Bore should shoot from stem to stern on any North American critter and most of Africa's critters. One problem we have is unless one is doing "control" shooting of big beasts it is hard to draw a definitive conclusion on what works best. About the only place that can be done is in Australia or Africa and usually it is government controlled and done with rifles. So that leaves a private ranch or game reserve as the only place with opportunity, bring your check book.

We can look at what Elmer Keith, Bob Hagel, Larry Kelly and a few other old timers said about killing large beasts with hard cast bullets. We can also look at some of the old rounds buffalo hide hunters used for the shameful slaughter of America's bison. Most were heavy lead bullets at moderate velocities and I suspect the impact velocities were low velocity.

I personally believe a 250 to 280 grain LBT from a .44 mag. or .45 Colt at 1,200 or more fps mv is enough of the "right stuff" to kill any North American critter. I also think I would use a heavy Speer Deep Curl or similar bullet if I was moose hunting with my .44 mag. and go for a under 75 yard lung shot.

The consensus seems to be heavy for caliber hard casts for the dreaded big and close brown bear charge. I never want to find out if it is the right choice, but others have made it work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300
Why if you get all the penetration needed would you choose a heavier bullet?

.45 envy.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cause its fun!!

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.