24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
just finished my 5th cord. last year with four i was a cord short so will do another.just to be sure. don't know what i was thinking as 4 has never been enough.
just wondering what others burn a winter? and where you are latitude wise?
we have a very efficient stove and a 2500 sf house.
i am getting to the stage in life i want to garden more then cut firewood so those in warmer climates may get a population jump of 2.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We do not spend winters up here (15 miles NE of Sandpoint) but those around me do, some being loggers, and they all do six cords so that they are covered when a particularly cold winter comes. Good stoves and typically ~2k sq ft. You are in the ballpark.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We are 60 miles north of your place ED, in the last 25 years here we have (depending on the stove) needed between 6 to 10 cords. Last year senility set in and i only put up 4. had to buy 1 delivered at 200 split and stacked. scrounged another from junk wood on the place. am getting to old and broken down to do that next year i think.
that is why i i want to find out what others need at what latitudes.. i hate the thought of going south again but if needs be, so be it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depending on house size, stove efficiency, and how much they are home during the day, around 4-6 here. I cut firewood for my parents, MIL, and some for my BIL. MIL and BIL have back-up sources of heat so it isn't a make or break deal for them if they run short. Their amounts vary from 3-7 cords for the 3 houses. One big factor in wood consumption is if they are retired and home during the winter days or still working and gone from the house. Keeping the house warm all day burns a lot more wood and older folks usually like the house warmer.

My dad always likes to have a two-year wood supply on hand. His thought is if a cold winter hits, your going to be okay or if a guy gets hurt and can't cut firewood one year, you're still okay.

Growing up, we had a 3 story farm-house, poorly insulated, and we would use 10-12 cords minimum with no back-up heat source. Cutting wood was just as important as going to work, taking care of the animals, etc..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I never could cut wood in summer...too ho and too many bugs...I always wait till after deer season...
I burn only 3-4 pickup loads now...I don't have a big stove....I really enjoy cutting wood ..probably more than burning it...

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We live north of the Black Hills in South Dakota. Winter can be cold here at 45 degrees latitude but we can usually get by with four to five cords in a 1500 sf main floor area. Our house is not an open plan so it is hard to heat the bedrooms and you get uncomfortably hot in the living room.

I am getting older too and don't like splitting and hauling wood as much as I used to. These days we have backup heat with both forced air propane and electric with the electric being the best and cheapest. The electric heat is probably the best for us as it is controlled in each room.
I keep two years worth of wood around the place in case of power outages but am likely to go to the electric heat more and more and just keep a couple of months of wood around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Late to the conversation. I burn about 6 to 7 cords. The house is 3400 sf. I'm near the 38th parallel at 2600 feet. I just turned 69 so I'm looking to cut back a bit & draw on other heat sorces.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We don’t burn much in Texas, maybe a cord.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I am 43* parralesl in southern Wis. I live in a high wind area. My house is 2200 sq. ft and has 9' walls. That makes a difference . I burn 4.5 cords per year. I am shot one cord this year however but it might be enough . I started late cause I have natural gas and my house is very well insulated. it hardly pays to run the outdoor wood boiler until it gets to 40 degrees for a high and 20 for a low. We just turn on the NG fireplace and it keeps the family room warm enough. Shut the bedroom doors and we have cool bedrooms.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I’m an hour south of you deerstalker. We burn ~ 4 cords for our ~2100 sqft place. This warm spell is saving me wood. We switch to the heat pump when it is warm otherwise the wood stove will run us out. I like to have the wood put up by July 4 because I hate having to split and stack during hunting season or the heat of late summer. My kids don’t love it... they say “all you think about is firewood”.

If you don’t have a Fiskars x27 splitting axe you need one! One of these days we’ll spring for a hydraulic splitter.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
41st parallel @ about 5000ft. House is a little over 3000 sq.ft .

Depends on the year but 5-8 cords. Thankfully I don’t have to go to the hills to get wood anymore. A friend is an arborist and drops off all I need.. but he only drops off huge stuff he doesn’t want to deal with, which required me buying a bigger saw and a hydraulic splitter. It’s a fair trade to have the wood lot out in the back pasture instead of hauling it out of the mountains.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
about 41.5 latitude, +/- 4500' elevation, High desert. Well insulated 1300 sf (?) house.

Usually between 2-3 cords a year, juniper which has a decent BTU per cord rating. Have seen -25F temps here. Usually below freezing at night after mid September until March or April even. Warm storm last couple of days, have the wood stove damped down, one log ever 4-5 hours at most, just to keep coals for tonight.

Still two cords in the woodshed, some more rounds outside I can split on sunny days which are plentiful at times. Once March hits we won't need much. Can usually operate on the electric heat if needed.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the house in town, natural gas is so darn cheap, can't even justify burning wood if I didn't count the cost of the chains, permits, fuel, etc. The most we ever pay at 43 degrees latitude and 4600 feet is about $80 a month. At the farm house, 5,100 feet, 2,000 square feet about three tons of pellets do the job, but I'm only heating it with pellets about 2/3rds of the time. .

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.