Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Watched a test using CCI Mini-Mag HP from a Ruger SR22 (3.5" IIRC) in Gel test, seems they do not expand.....so wondering for short handguns.......guessing 36-40gr run about 950-1050 in these shorter tubes.

Is there any value in HP using on small game? Not used solids over the years.....but it seems expansion is very minimal, perhaps if much bone is hit Hollow Points will upset some, but want to hear from others. Any of you taking squirrels, rabbits, etc with Solids? Curious if you see any different on body shots.

No doubt in rifles, good HPs do much better. I might expect a Sub-Sonic like CCI HP to open as well as any, b/c of the massive cavity and soft lead, but wonder what speeds you get in a handgun vs HV ammo. Test I have seen indicate of Sub-Sonic ammo, in rifles, the CCI and perhaps the RWS are some of the most effective in permanent wound cavity. I have heard the CCI's will cycle in semi's but not sure if that is rifles, or also handguns.

Any feedback appreciated.

GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Need a 6" barrel to get above 1000fps. Then I get expansion with the 1400fps stuff like CCI Velocitor, or Aquilla Interceptor.
I personally prefer a 6" barrel on a 22lr pistol for that reason.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 65BR
Watched a test using CCI Mini-Mag HP from a Ruger SR22 (3.5" IIRC) in Gel test, seems they do not expand.....so wondering for short handguns.......guessing 36-40gr run about 950-1050 in these shorter tubes.

Is there any value in HP using on small game? Not used solids over the years.....but it seems expansion is very minimal, perhaps if much bone is hit Hollow Points will upset some, but want to hear from others. Any of you taking squirrels, rabbits, etc with Solids? Curious if you see any different on body shots.

No doubt in rifles, good HPs do much better. I might expect a Sub-Sonic like CCI HP to open as well as any, b/c of the massive cavity and soft lead, but wonder what speeds you get in a handgun vs HV ammo. Test I have seen indicate of Sub-Sonic ammo, in rifles, the CCI and perhaps the RWS are some of the most effective in permanent wound cavity. I have heard the CCI's will cycle in semi's but not sure if that is rifles, or also handguns.

Any feedback appreciated.

The CCI Subsonic HP and Segmented Subsonic HP open up a LOT in small game and are very effective. You can even hear a noticeable difference in the "whap" sound at impact compared to other solids or small hollow point bullets, and dressing the animals shows a noticeable difference as well. So yeah, a good hollow point can have value.

It depends a lot on the hollow point design though. Not just any hollow point is effective; some act like solids at 22 pistol speeds.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff folks, appreciate the feedback.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
65BR: Each year (for the last 20+ years!) I have shot over 1,000 rounds of higher quality L.R. hollow-points (mostly Winchester Power-Points) at small Varmints and small game (Grouse & Rabbits etc). Most of these shots were taken with heavy barrel semi-automatic pistols having barrels from 5 1/2" to 6 3/4" - using optical sight assistance.
Said game is harvested cleanly in most all instances.
On occasion I'll use one of my 4" Smith & Wesson "J" frame revolvers (no optics) and when hit center mass with the same ammunition I'll notice a bit of a less "whop" sound, but lethality is not noticeably diminished - IME.
I'll try and pay more attention next year.
I always use "hollow-points" when Hunting small game and Varmints with my 22's.
Maybe I should run some of these Winchester Power-Points over my chronograph?
Interesting question/premise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You can file a flat point on a round nose 2LR round and it will create a larger wound Channel than a non expanding hollow point.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCI Small Game Bullet is a flat point, sorta like an LBT type cast bullet. I've shot quite a few tree squirrels with the SGB and it works well.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The CCI 36gr HP's with the gator man Troy Landry? [I think] on the box will indeed expand when slammed into water filled coffee cans at PBR [5 feet] from my Wifes Walther 22LR.

Trump Won!
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great feedback folks! Always liked the SGB as well, wish that profile was more prolific among the ammo makers, it would be a great option, definitely helps like using SWC in handguns.

The question arose out of seeing TN9outdoors using a SR22 with Mini-Mags in Gel tests. Seems like it was about a 3.5" - no doubt a large difference exists in MANY HP rounds, regarding expansion, when comparing handgun performance vs rifle length barrels.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Check out Paco Kelly's accurizer.

[Linked Image from accurateshooter.net]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paco's stuff is interesting, but I don't have a lot of stuff run off with any rimfire hit...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Effective, no doubt an easy way to convert bulk value priced plinking ammo into better ammo.....but these tools like Paco and Hanned Precision are not cheap. Too bad the less expensive bulk pack is not SGB design, as a wadcutter. Perhaps more expensive to mfg with a sharp angled nose. I see no downside at any normal range vs a RN.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 65BR
Effective, no doubt an easy way to convert bulk value priced plinking ammo into better ammo.....but these tools like Paco and Hanned Precision are not cheap. Too bad the less expensive bulk pack is not SGB design, as a wadcutter. Perhaps more expensive to mfg with a sharp angled nose. I see no downside at any normal range vs a RN.

Considering the cost of tools like that, IMO it's worth just buying good ammo like CCI Subsonic HP for small game hunting, vs spending a bunch on a tool to improve cheap ammo. In my experience, you won't find a better 22 LR small game killer than CCI's segmented hollow point. Only downside to those is that availability is spotty; buy them when you can find them.

I do understand and agree with the appeal of making/modifying your own stuff, but when good ammo is available, it seems like a lot of money spent polishing little turds.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/23/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try the Winchester 555 bulk pack that you can buy for $20 at Walmart. The bullets look a lot like the Power-Points. I use these in my Bersa 3.5 inch and they appear to expand. I used to look down on Winchester rimfire ammo but the last couple of 555's I bought worked like a charm and every round went off.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by HARDBALLER; 12/23/19.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don’t buy for one minute that this jack rabbit was packing heat....

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try shooting into a water-filled milk jug to see if you're getting any expansion. 3.5" barrel velocity isnt going to be great.

I've tried a number of different brands of ammo and only the really hot stuff will expand moderately from a 6" barrel (chrono'd well over 1000fps).

See the following for some velocities:
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I don’t buy for one minute that this jack rabbit was packing heat....

Pssssttttt......It wasn't armed, I planted the gun on it and claimed self defense.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
When I was a kid we would cut a cross in a regular HP or SP, and it seemed to 'pop' noticeably more on ground squirrels.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All good stuff......agree on the comments. The segmented, would that possible 'contaminate' meat on game? I usually go for head shots, but it doesn't always happen. They do seem quite deadly from reports I have read.

That Jack above, poor guy, he was not adequately armed! Lol. I ran an Astra Constable many years, and a Beretta 70S, both now traded off. That looks handy, durable finish, hard chrome?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
65BR, the Bersa is very handy and fits in small places. I can hit a jack out to 25 yards using a walking stick for a rest. It's very reliable with high velocity ammo that it likes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.