Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tolna Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have several issues of Varmint Hunter Magazine.
Believe 31 issues in all #13 thru #44 (nice condition)
Any one has and interest, shoot me a PM. Not sure what they are worth.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Steve Timm era issues are awesome but not sure of the value, the post Steve Timm era issues are worthless and part of the reason for the VHA demise. Not sure of what era your issues are in

I was a charter member of VHA and have the first year or two of issues including two of Issue #1 (one has a brown dust jacket). My wife has been hounding me to sell them but I also have no idea what to ask for them. I might have one issue #30-something missing. Where would be a place to start?

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.
Gun control=OSHA for criminals
NRA Life
SASS life
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the VHA was going strong, the back issues were worth some money.

It seems over the past few years, since they closed the doors, the issues aren't worth much, if anything.

IMHO, once upon a time, it was the best magazine for the buck.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by boatanchor
The Steve Timm era issues are awesome but not sure of the value, the post Steve Timm era issues are worthless and part of the reason for the VHA demise. Not sure of what era your issues are in

THANK YOU, my friend. Believe it or not, your comments make me feel good. Great, actually.

We were all working toward a common goal and that really, really went to crap after intolerable greed drove me away. I'll not mention names, but that is simple to figure out

I truly loved my readers (still do) and I loved sharing what little knowledge I have. And that's a fact.

Blessings to all,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B2

C
C
I have given most of mine away to guys at the gun club. They get passed from one to another and suspect they eventually get trashed. Better that than nothing.
Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I remember when I was getting the Varmint Hunter I would go to the table of content and look for Steve's name. A lot of good information on building a rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scotty

I remember when I was getting the Varmint Hunter I would go to the table of content and look for Steve's name. A lot of good information on building a rifle.

A BIG plus 1. Steve's articles were always my first read. I copied his 280 AI and Karen's 260AI as builds for my 270 and 260. Years before I found the campfire, I reached out to Steve and he was more than kind in spending a long hour on the phone with me on my first build. Even though he is an absolute expert in all thing guns and ballistics, he is a hunter to the core and I wanted a rifle that would be used in the hills. Forever thankful for his help and writings.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good day, 24hr, Even way up here in Canada I was hooked by Steves writings. Always checked out his articles first. Loved reading his first!!! He had a great chart that you could go to immediately to check out the facts first then read the article. Wish other gun writers would adopt it? Months later if you had forgot the specs you could go look them up fast instead of trying to skip through the whole article. I new that VH was going down hill when they published an article of mine!!!? Wish you would write for someone els Steve!!!!!! The internet is quick & all but the gun rags were great back then for rainy days in camp, hot rum, a gun rag, dog on the bunk with ya, hunting talk all round, card game, then maybe a snooozzz. ,!? Thanks Steve. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was a subscriber for many years. It was a great magazine but was going down hill in value, in my view. I dropped my subscription about a year before they closed.
And like others, I really enjoyed Steve Timms writings.

NRA Patron
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

The later issues had lots of pics of Steve Tim’s replacement along with his wife out varminting on members dime

I am one gun away from happy
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

no wonder they went tits up......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
As usual my timing was spot on LOL- I sent in a years renewal one month before they went under. I should have spent the money on components.

Like other folks posted Dogzapper was my favorite contributor - Brezny was my least favorite.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hairtrigger,

Who was Steve Timm's replacement?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
L P Brezny, was who they replaced Steve with. He was 180 degrees opposite, uninteresting, very condescending and double jointed arms (he could pat his own back like none other).
L P was not the only reason for the VHA demise, changes in management finished it off.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Steve Timm's articles in Varmint Hunter and Marty Meierotto's articles in Fur,Fish and Game were the first thing I looked for in new issues (had subscriptions to both)
Guns & Ammo, I flipped straight to the Backpage to see what Col. Cooper had to opine.

Thanks Steve!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hellgate: I also was a very early charter and life member (#185) of the Varmint Hunter Association and of course have the complete collection of Varmint Hunter magazines (including two Issue #1's) tucked safely away in my library/office.
I also have quite a few issues of the predecessor magazine to Varmint Hunter which was called "Varmint Hunters International" - I have gleaned an immense amount of information and valuable destination info from both magazines and was sad to see the demise of the Varmint Hunters Association and the end of the magazine. I only got to attend two of the annual jamborees/shoots/conventions - great fun and great times those.
I also looked forward every few months for the latest issue to arrive and enjoyed SO very much Steve Timms articles/writings and photographs.
I fondly remember taking some time away from the Portland, Oregon gunshow and taking both Steve Timm and Darrell Holland out to lunch!
What a pleasant visit that was.
At one time I was contemplating selling my complete collection of Varmint Hunter and Varmint Hunters International magazines - I am glad today that I did not.
From time to time I get out an issue and re-read many of the articles and enjoy the pictures and especially Steve Timms treatises - something, sadly, I can no longer say about today's latest crop of "outdoor writers"/magazines!
I say (to the original poster) save those magazines.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those magazines, even after Steve departed, have value for articles that really dig into the arcana of making good ammunition for the field, cartridges to try, rifles to scheme for. I learned so many new things, went to a couple of Jamborees (got my @$$ kicked) and hunted with other members (got my @$$ kicked) and northwestern coordinator Gary Lobe (REALLY got my @$$ kicked). Wouldn't trade that for anything. When Gary downsized, I got some of his stuff, which I treasure for the memories.

And yeah, I really couldn't understand how LP got on the regular list. His writer tricks were the clumsiest of anyone I've ever seen in print. But I guess he was too close to Pierre to be ignored.

You could sell them on Fleabay, I suppose, but perhaps you should ask around locally, someone who wants to be a good shooter with good rifles. When I have no use for them, which I hope is a long time coming, that's what I'm going to do, hand them over to someone with potential.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would be interested in these magazines. Pm sent.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just throwing it out there, but I'm in need of issue #5 if anyone has a spare they'd be willing to sell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.