Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
A new challenger has appeared: Copper Spur HV 3 Expedition

Seems like a decent compromise in weight and "bomberness".

Plus this season I think I'm going to focus on late sept/early oct high country mule deer.

GB1

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A lot of excellent advise on staking, stretch cord and extra effort in the set up, go a long way in securing your shelter, than the slight differences in top tier tents. In my younger mountaineering days when solo was the norm. I relied on the North Face 4 season tents. West wind model at 5 lb.’s and change was double skinned and bomb proof. Spent many a night’s at high altitude and miserable weather. No problem at all. Sadly production went to China and quality downhill. All this past my Marine Corps dirt pounder days, in my twenties and mountain goat status. Add some years or decades and priorities change. You are not as limber and cannot get dressed comfortably in the sitting position, due to low ceiling height in the low 30 inchers, mostly restrictive space all around. Hence my continued experimentations.
Hilleberg Nallo 3, it was secure no matter what mother nature had stored. Only one problem. It felt like a plastic coffin, not much better space wise than others. If you want one, I highly recommend them, but get a bigger model than you need. We all know the occupancy status is sleeping bag next to another, no space in between. This provides quicker warming of your interior area and low ceiling to enhance the heat and negate the wind sail effect.
After much experimentation and research, especially mountaineering enthusiasts for the worlds highest and most extreme. I settled on the Nemo Moki 3person, in reality one really comfortable and doable. A second person that you like and for less than a week’s time only three in an emergency. It is in the 7lb. Range. Quick to set up. Single skin. Lots of ventilations for you to control, unlike others. The material is tough and lets you stand if you open the top window. Mother nature, accessing outside noise etc... without having to crawl through a tunnel. It comes with vestibule and an extra can be added since it is a full double door entry and not a port hole. It can also be attached to other Moki’s. 70mph winds at Hell’s Canyon, was tight as a drum, no flapping noise or waiting to see if it’s going to hold up.
It is perfect for Alaskan float hunts, drop camps or in an offroad vehicle for emergency shelter.
If you want the luxury to stand, have room for others and a stove, then the tipi is your best option. You always have to give and take somewhere. A typical canvas wall tent is more comfortable for sure. The weight is a definite no for some hunts but perfect for another. My point, having two or three options will cover more scenarios as you see fit.
I also got a now defunct but quality product a Wyoming Lost and Found 5 man tipi with a titanium wood stove. Good for some but not all. As an outdoorsman, you will always go through experimentation with the newest and the latest. Enjoy the journey. I am in my late 50’s with no regrets. Safe hunting.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Has anyone used the BA copper spur hv 2 expedition in inclement weather?

I can acquire the 2p for 299. I have a hard time find something on paper better for the money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have seen some heavy wind events posted on the Alaska Outdoors site using a Sawtooth Tipi and a stove on Kodiak Island. Video shot from the inside seemed to verify superior strength at fighting the wind. However, some posts here contradict that. Wonder if something has changed in the tent construction or is there some operator error?
The stove/tipi makes good sense for my solo "diy" elk hunt in New Mexico next December.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used my Sawtooth in extreme winds also but I elected to pull the poles during the highest winds and roll up in the tent to await dawn.
My buddy was in my Hilleberg Tara and slept the night through.

II don't know what the wind velocity was but it blew some houses off the foundation in a nearby village. I suspect 70+.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.