Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was wondering if anyone here has used this stove. I like the idea that there are no loose parts like wingnuts and bolts to loose, but it is pretty pricey compared to other titanium stoves. Any thoughts from experienced backpack hunters?
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no personal experience with this stove but it looks like it would be a huge improvement over the other backpack takedown titanium stoves on the market. Having owned two takedown titanium stoves for my 16-man tipi I quickly learned that they perform poorly because there is no ability to control the burn rate. They leak air into the burn box like a sieve so all you can achieve is a full/fast burn. You're either burning up inside the tipi or freezing. Being unable to damper down the stove and control the burn rate makes them next to useless. That's why I graduated to a Four-Dog titanium stove. True, it does not collapse but it's air tight and enables the user to have extended burn times. This Winnerwell stove looks like (judging solely from the videos) that it might be somewhat air tight. If the latches had cams so the sides and top were REALLY cranked down against one another it would probably be even better. Still not a fan of the roll-up stove pipe but it works okay.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by John_Havard
I have no personal experience with this stove but it looks like it would be a huge improvement over the other backpack takedown titanium stoves on the market. Having owned two takedown titanium stoves for my 16-man tipi I quickly learned that they perform poorly because there is no ability to control the burn rate. They leak air into the burn box like a sieve so all you can achieve is a full/fast burn. You're either burning up inside the tipi or freezing. Being unable to damper down the stove and control the burn rate makes them next to useless. That's why I graduated to a Four-Dog titanium stove. True, it does not collapse but it's air tight and enables the user to have extended burn times. This Winnerwell stove looks like (judging solely from the videos) that it might be somewhat air tight. If the latches had cams so the sides and top were REALLY cranked down against one another it would probably be even better. Still not a fan of the roll-up stove pipe but it works okay.

How do you pack in that stove? The ultra light is 10lbs

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t backpack it. I fly it in with a Super Cub. While in theory a 16-man tipi is man portable it’s better suited to serve as a lightweight base camp. I would prefer having an airtight collapsible lightweight titanium stove but so far am unaware of any. Cubs are limited in cubic volume so collapsible would be good.

Last edited by John_Havard; 12/07/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duckcall
I like the idea that there are no loose parts like wingnuts and bolts to loose,

Never seemed to have trouble with 'loose parts'.... The wingnuts stay on the bolt. And the bolts go in the rolled-up pipe. The couple extra minutes to set one up and bolt it together never seemed to bother me, either....

I have the 3W stove from luxe now. A lot easier to put together than the Kifaru cylinder, and the burn is easier to control as it has a pipe damper. I groove on the glass door, too, as I like to watch fire....it is just slightly smaller than the folder-upper.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collec...ies/products/folding-wood-stove-titanium

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don, what size tipi/tent are you using that stove in? It looks nice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I like the idea that there are no loose parts like wingnuts and bolts to loose,

Never seemed to have trouble with 'loose parts'.... The wingnuts stay on the bolt. And the bolts go in the rolled-up pipe. The couple extra minutes to set one up and bolt it together never seemed to bother me, either....

I have the 3W stove from luxe now. A lot easier to put together than the Kifaru cylinder, and the burn is easier to control as it has a pipe damper. I groove on the glass door, too, as I like to watch fire....it is just slightly smaller than the folder-upper.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collec...ies/products/folding-wood-stove-titanium

Don thanks for sharing that. How has it held up for you? How long have you been using it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got it after elk camp this fall. Only used it 3 nights so far in a Kifaru Tut during plains early deer. Sure like it better than the 18" Smith cylinder....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

I modded it a little to suit, on the door latch....

Last edited by huntsman22; 12/08/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like it. Looks like a better design than what I have been seeing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Curious what the "glass" material is, any idea? I've got my eye on luxe's 6p octopeak tipi..

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Curious what the "glass" material is, any idea? I've got my eye on luxe's 6p octopeak tipi..

From the link

Material: Korean Grade 1 Titanium (body) rated to 1382F, Stainless Steel (door parts and chimney) and German Tempered Heat Resistant Glass

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, huntsman22 for the info on the 3W stove!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To control burn rate install a chimney damper.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the conversation. H22, good for you for nor being a klutz like me. I could see myself dropping something and not being able to find it out in the middle of nowhere. I looked at your stove and liked the design, but hadn't heard from anyone with first hand knowledge, so thank you..

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

That is a good looking stove. My old EdT Ti stove has many, many seasons on it and it’s getting time to look for a replacement.

Last edited by prm; 12/09/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another nice thing about the 3W stove is, the door and frame are formed with a 'lip'. That, and the wall channels make it less prone to warping than a lot of other box-type stoves. I don't know how the glass will hold up, so I made a sheetmetal replacement(along with an allen wrench and open end wrench) that I can swap in, in case of breakage.... I also cut the shickenchit latch cable off, and replaced it with a more traditional wire loop. I timed the loop to be able to hook over the draft control to keep the door ridgid when breaking down the stove and transporting. I also cut the fixed latch at an angle to minimize the amount of 'lift' needed to open/close the door.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another handy little stove accessory that I like (for you guys that use these little woodburners), is one of those little extendable back scratchers to rake coals to the front of the stove when adding wood. Beats the dog piss outta using a twig..... and they don't weigh all that much, or take up much room in the stove bag. I bend the 'teeth' down at a sharper angle to grab coals better, but it can still do double duty when you get that itch. pun....

link

they come on a 'slow boat from china' so don't expect to get one very fast.....

Last edited by huntsman22; 12/11/19.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering if anyone here has used this stove. I like the idea that there are no loose parts like wingnuts and bolts to loose, but it is pretty pricey compared to other titanium stoves. Any thoughts from experienced backpack hunters?
Thanks

I suggest that you include the Lite Outdoors stove in your list of products to research/consider. It only weighs 2# 8oz. and costs about $500 for the big size.
Lite Outdoors Titanium Stove

[Linked Image from liteoutdoors.com]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 41 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.