Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

I'm not sure if this should go here or on the Gunsmithing forum, but here goes.

Has anyone had any experience swapping the double trigger setup on a Zastava/Daly/Interarms rifle for a single trigger? I've contacted Timney to see if they have something and they said their Mauser triggers won't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure why they said that but I have changed out a few

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sometimes I wonder about company techs. Some are pretty sharp, some just holding down a job.

Call Jim (jkob). He’s worked on a Mauser or two. Some for me.

No way you can’t swap that set up for a Timney.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It did not start with a double, but I installed a Kepplinger single set on a Yugo 24/47 converted to a 240 Weatherby. A nice nail driving rig.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/27/19.

1Minute
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The trigger will fit the action, no problem, but it won't fit the bottom metal. You will either have to modify the bottom metal or replace it with a single trigger unit. Depends on your aptitude.

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the comments. My aptitude is limited to writing a check. 😆 But again, much appreciated. I was thinking about picking up one of the beaters that are being imported right now, but not a huge fan of double triggers.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Gotta ask- why not leave the DST's alone? I would be eager to go from single to DST's any day. Give 'em a fair trial, you just might change your mind! Best of both worlds- a set trigger for those slow deliberate shots, unset for those quick snap shots where you don't even notice the trigger pull.

And yes, I would suspect that you might end up swapping out the trigger guard too. If purpose-made for DST's it'll look lonely with a single trigger in there.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Gotta ask- why not leave the DST's alone? I would be eager to go from single to DST's any day. Give 'em a fair trial, you just might change your mind! Best of both worlds- a set trigger for those slow deliberate shots, unset for those quick snap shots where you don't even notice the trigger pull.

And yes, I would suspect that you might end up swapping out the trigger guard too. If purpose-made for DST's it'll look lonely with a single trigger in there.

I had one on a BP squirrel rifle. It just seemed awkward to me, but you’re right: I’ve been known to change my mind. The biggest downside to these rifles is their mostly “pig-back” stock. Not sure how that would work with a scope.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The hog back stock is the berries for scope use (at least that's been my experience), but I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the look.

Give me a jingle if you decide to swap out the triggers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jkob
Not sure why they said that but I have changed out a few

Me too. I don't care for DSTs in general and definitely not on game hunting rifles.

I've swapped the DSTs on 3 or 4 Interarms Mark Xs for Timneys without any trouble.

I also don't care for the butterknife style of bolt handle that the Mark Xs with DSTs seemed to come with and replaced them with more conventional units from Brownells.

IC B3

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rev. I didn't like the hog back stock either, until I bought a CZ-550 FS and started to use it but, now I much prefer them. Like Gary said try the DST before changing it out and it may grow on you.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I dont have an immediate need, but; if we were talking cheap money, I would be interested in buying a double set trigger. Maybe a guard if that was also available and needed?

Different strokes, you know. PM appreciated.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for all the comments, I haven't yet decided if I want to spring for one of these rifles, but if I do I'll certainly use it a bit before starting to tweak. Like you say, it might be fine as is.

BTW, for those who use, or have used, the hog-back stock, what sort of cheek weld do you get when using a scope? On its face it just doesn't look like it's going to be very solid. It looks more iron sight friendly than scope friendly.

Thanks again.

Rm

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If DST's weren't so expensive, a mild PIA to install, and were made for a larger variety of rifles, I would cheerfully have them on everything I own except the Savage lever guns. My Model 54's and 70's could benefit from them, as would my #1's. I have a Mauser 98 sporter that is begging for a pair so it can be like the other 98's I have.

Here's an odd duck DST trigger arrangement for you. Made by Pacific back in the 30's-40's- you press the front trigger forward with the back of your trigger finger to set the rear trigger which then breaks with a 4 ounce touch. Pretty slick. (Rifle is a Krag single shot conversion to .22 Maximum Lovell, built by Mr. Lovell, circa 1937-39.) My only complaint is that the trigger needs to be set or it won't fire, unlike the Germanic triggers most commonly found which can be fired un-set. Since it isn't a big game rifle I can easily live with that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RevMike
Thanks for all the comments, I haven't yet decided if I want to spring for one of these rifles, but if I do I'll certainly use it a bit before starting to tweak. Like you say, it might be fine as is.

BTW, for those who use, or have used, the hog-back stock, what sort of cheek weld do you get when using a scope? On its face it just doesn't look like it's going to be very solid. It looks more iron sight friendly than scope friendly.

Thanks again.

Rm

I have the hogback on a cz 550 carbine. It fits me perfect using the iron sights. When I bring up the gun the irons are in perfect line. Like a shotgun should shoulder. With a scope, it is a matter of make do. I end up only using the scope at the club and remove for some very limited hunting. I have enough guns. I am sure, I could adapt if I had to. But; this gun, mine, was optimized for iron sights or fit my body like the proverbial glove. I bet with the proper human neck length and/or pushing the scope forward would help, it could fit better with a scope. I observe many shooters like the scope back more than me That may help me get comfortable as I am able with what little scoped shooting I do.

I also have a Zastava M70 carbine with double set triggers. That is a light wt 30-06. The problem I found was the firing trigger is very close to the knurled button on the front of the trigger guard. That button is the magazine release. If I am not careful, I get a little bleeding on the front side of my trigger finger. I have considered grinding that smooth or replacing the bottom metal. It is another situation where I have been able to adapt. Long term, that has to change. I imagine a 9.3 would exceed my trigger finger pain threshold. I really like the set trigger and will work around this. I dont need to open the bottom of the magazine. YMMV?

By the way my M70 is not a hogback so; I dont have to deal with that. I also think the pinched finger maybe my grip style issue. I would rather remove the offending button than change.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by z1r
The trigger will fit the action, no problem, but it won't fit the bottom metal. You will either have to modify the bottom metal or replace it with a single trigger unit. Depends on your aptitude.

I've been looking at this. Would tell me why a Timney single trigger won't fit the double-trigger bottom metal? I have neither in hand, but am trying to picture it in my mind.

Thanks

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My gunsmith has my Mark X with double trigger to mill out the slot in the trigger guard for the Timney I installed. Once done there's no going back with the same trigger guard.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Trigger too wide?

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by z1r

I've been looking at this. Would tell me why a Timney single trigger won't fit the double-trigger bottom metal? I have neither in hand, but am trying to picture it in my mind.

Thanks

cuz the double trigger bottom metal has two separate exits holes , one for each trigger. the single trigger unit has one hole. Neither hole on the double trigger unit is in the correct location to be used with a single trigger.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Got it. Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's nothing like a good double set on a Mauser to make the world right in all ways. Just the way things are supposed to be.

But it's got to be a GOOD double-set.

Since you don't have the gun already, honestly you should keep an eye out for a nice commercial ANYTHING Mauser sporter, then put a Timney on it. Higgins, Husky, FN, whatever 1960's sporter. But if you had a vintage Mauser sporter with old-style double sets, to take that off would be a travesty.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.