24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody have one of these? I’ve been thinking about grabbing one to ride around in the truck. Also been thinking about adding a suppressor. I’m stuck between this or a “pistol” AR platform in the same 9mm caliber. Just need to be able to run Glock mags in whatever I get. I’ve read good things about both, but I’m not sure what some things could be that I’m not considering.

ARIC

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I don’t own either, but looked at both. The Ruger is a little heavy IMO.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Love mine. With a Vortex Venom red dot it’s really handy.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What does the Ruger PCC offer for you as a truck gun that a 16" AR doesn't do?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MOGC

Outside of cosmetic differences, the PCC can use Glock or Ruger mags.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I love my Ruger pcc. Stays under back seat of my truck. Glock 19 is under front seat

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I enjoy mine. From the factory it’s pretty well equipped, peep sight, integrated rails, and threaded. I get 2 -2 1/2 groups at 50 yards, brand and bullet weight seem to make little difference. It makes a fun little plinker and would make a fine truck gun.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Nothing. It is just something new.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

Nothing. It is just something new.

Agreed. I gave the Ruger PCC some thought. As a fun gun with inexpensive ammo to feed it, it has plenty going for it. Other than as a plinker it loses appeal to me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I thought about getting one in .40, but a buddy has one and has had some feeding issues. Easy pass

I'd like a .40 carbine but it's a very narrow field without many options.

MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm kind of drawn toward a 9mm. Kind of like a 22 magnum, but more power, and cheaper to feed.

Fun shooter, easy shooter, enough power to essentially be a 4" 357 revolver, in a carbine. Plenty of power for light hunting and defense, as long as you don't need to penetrate body armor.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm kind of drawn toward a 9mm. Kind of like a 22 magnum, but more power, and cheaper to feed.

Fun shooter, easy shooter, enough power to essentially be a 4" 357 revolver, in a carbine. Plenty of power for light hunting and defense, as long as you don't need to penetrate body armor.

This has been exactly my thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My thoughts as well. Bought one in July 2018 after hearing some of that rationale. Along with the "10/22 on steroids" analogy. Overall; I like it. No problems whatsoever and it's actually a lot of fun. It's been mentioned that they are a bit heavy. That was my first impression the first time one was handed to me over the counter at the local gun shop. They are heavier than they look, but not enough to bother me, I forgot what the weight is listed as, but it's not bad. Someday I'm gonna switch mine over to use Glock mags, with the included Glock mag well, as I also have a G19. That'll be one of my New Years resolutions.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I thought about getting one in .40, but a buddy has one and has had some feeding issues. Easy pass

I had a early production 98/99 in 40 cal, it was very clunky when the action cycled. I had a hell of a time keeping an optic in place.

The new production 9 is much smother, the rail cured the optic issue.

Is your buddies a new production 40?

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Shot a buddies at the range started a little heavy but as I got to the bottom of the 33 rd mag I had nothing but smiles! Not sure why I don't own one yet!!!

Red dot sight was near perfect for it.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Region6

I had a early production 98/99 in 40 cal, it was very clunky when the action cycled. I had a hell of a time keeping an optic in place.

The new production 9 is much smother, the rail cured the optic issue.

Is your buddies a new production 40?

Yup, one of the new models. Fed with one set of mags and not with the other. I can't at the moment remember if it was the Ruger or Glock mags that he had trouble with.

MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I put a 2x 7 on mine at first and within seconds of shooting it I understood a red dot makes it a perfect plinker

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I own two of the new Ruger PC's, one in 9mm and one in .40. In addition, I have one of the older PC-4 Ruger carbines in .40. I have never had a malfunction with any of them. The new ones are both set up to use Glock magazines, and both of them wear Aimpoint PRO red dot sights. I removed the risers from the PRO's so that they sit lower and allow a good cheek weld. The factory barrel-mounted peep sights are surprisingly fast and accurate to use as well. I don't consider the old model .40 to be really suitable for optics and just use it with the issue open iron sights.

The older one handles very much like an M-1 Carbine and it is my "house gun". The new ones are slightly heavier but still quite handy. I especially like being able to shorten the pull by removing buttplate spacers on the new ones.

They are great fun as plinkers and very capable defensive weapons within 100 yards, although they certainly can be stretched a bit further than that. My new 9mm and .40 have no trouble keeping everything within 2 inches at 50 yards and usually do better than that. The 33-round 9mm Glock magazine functions fine, but aesthetically seems a bit too long in the 9mm. The 22-round Glock .40 magazine functions just as well and looks "just right" to my eye.

I have moved the bolt operating handle on both new models to the left side, which I much prefer. The takedown feature works easily and lockup is tight. The new models have 10/22 style trigger groups and magazine catches. Their trigger pulls are very nice, and much lighter than the old model PC4.

I carry one or the other of the new models as a truck gun in a DU-HA carrier under the rear seat. I consider them handier and quicker to access than an AR would be.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/31/19.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatboy
I put a 2x 7 on mine at first and within seconds of shooting it I understood a red dot makes it a perfect plinker

Hank

......... I considered scoping mine back in 2018 but never got around to it as I enjoy the factory sights. This past summer I did put on a holographic sight on it that I had sitting around here. Wanted to try it just for grins. It's a blast and I doubt now that I'll ever put a scope on it. Also have a red dot here that I may try come spring because of how nice the holo sight is. Then I can decide between the irons, the holo sight or the red dot. They're all nice. Longest distance ever shot was an honest 93 yards on my buddies home range steel plate with the holo sight and it worked great. Not that I plan to normally shoot a 9mm that far but 50 yards and less it lays them right in there. At least with a holographic sight.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

I have the Beretta 40 carbine and it'll eat about anything you feed it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
755 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,413
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.