Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have always admired the Merkles and other European single shots, but they are usually fairly spendy. I was thinking about a poor boy version using an American made action. Has anyone done this, if so photos please. Which actions would be a likely candidate?

Oops just saw the thread on the Brno, but the photos won't open.

Last edited by Tejano; 11/13/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I want to, but the price keeps me from it.

Someday, I may get tired of futzing around with multiple rifles and sell a bunch to finance one of the nice ones, but not just yet. I think they are amazing rifles.

Honestly, my $400 Henry has exceeded my expectations and is pretty nice to boot, at least as nice as most standard blued and walnut bolt-action rifles costing a lot more.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Someday, I may get tired of futzing around with multiple rifles and sell a bunch to finance one of the nice ones, but not just yet. I think they are amazing

I have thought the same thing pappy. I have several rifles that I am happy enough with but not content and satisfied with. After I give away to kids and grandkids what they want, I plan on selling the rest and adding some cash to it and get the ones I really want. After seeing John B's Merkel, I want a ms stocked Merkel and a ms stocked CZ Effect. I also want a custom flintlock muzzleloader. With those three and the 22 rifle and the 20 gauge shotgun I have, I think I could be satisfied.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Texczech

Someday, I may get tired of futzing around with multiple rifles and sell a bunch to finance one of the nice ones, but not just yet. I think they are amazing

I have thought the same thing pappy. I have several rifles that I am happy enough with but not content and satisfied with. After I give away to kids and grandkids what they want, I plan on selling the rest and adding some cash to it and get the ones I really want. After seeing John B's Merkel, I want a ms stocked Merkel and a ms stocked CZ Effect. I also want a custom flintlock muzzleloader. With those three and the 22 rifle and the 20 gauge shotgun I have, I think I could be satisfied.

Ha! Good luck with that! wink

Here's one of the Brno single shots that just sold on Gunrunner auctions for $610 with the buyers premium. https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/l...gle-shot-rifle-236-barrel-czechoslovakia

It's pretty hard to beat the discontinued TCR83/97 rifles if you like a "Kipplauf". They're not perfect, but they're also a small fraction of the cost of a German single shot and they're elegant and well designed. I've had one or another if them in my accumulation pretty much continuously since they came out. Here's the current one.

Attached Images
tcr1.jpg (32.59 KB, 730 downloads)
Last edited by gewehrfreund; 11/13/19.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Although I've not shot a BRNO Effect, I did investigate them when they were first introduced and have not found much good results from those who have owned them.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
My Blaser K95 Stutzen. Break open, switch barrel, stupid accurate.

[Linked Image]

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I regret not getting a TCR when they were available. Nice Blaser, I always wanted one in 6.5 or 7 x 65R.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
I regret not getting a TCR when they were available. Nice Blaser, I always wanted one in 6.5 or 7 x 65R.

I used to feel that way, but the adventures recounted here, plus their orphan status have changed my mind. Now that Henry sells entire rifles for little more than the retail of barrels for Encores, I'm pretty content, at least until my ship comes in so I can afford a K3.

The TCs are still a good deal for those who want unusual chamberings, but a little clever handloading, plus maybe a re-chamber or rebore will do me just fine (though the new "G1" Contenders look very nice!)

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Bought a poor man's Merkel....a full stocked Brno Effect. The thing was always accurate, but has been plagued with intermittent misfires. Finally figured out that the firing pin is slightly short and a loaded round in the chamber that was a little undersized moved just far enough forward to leave a small dent on the primer but not fire. Rather than have a gunsmith fabricate a longer firing pin, I began neck sizing brass that had been fired in the rifle before. Now it is surefire!

The rifle is very accurate with sub MOA groups not unusual. I was thinking about getting rid of it but now, because the misfiring issue is taken care of, am very glad I didn't. It is light and handy, but to my eye a little too long. Being so slim and long almost gives it a 'toothpick' look.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I will be owning a K 95 Blaser before too long.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

..plus their orphan status...

I have a TCR, and a safe full of other "orphans", rifles that they haven't made in 30 to 130 years. They don't seem to mind.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cas6969

..plus their orphan status...

I have a TCR, and a safe full of other "orphans", rifles that they haven't made in 30 to 130 years. They don't seem to mind.

Agreed, but getting started down that road now might be problematic.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I will be owning a K 95 Blaser before too long.

Don't do it, unless you are looking for this.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rodell; 12/22/19.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Back in the early 90's, I could not afford the cash to buy this Blaser K95, so I traded 3 rifles ( that I did not hunt anyway) and a little cash for this "Presteige" model in 270 Win. I've never regretted the deal. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
they look like an H&R Topper with nicer wood and bluing....

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Hook
Bought a poor man's Merkel....a full stocked Brno Effect. The thing was always accurate, but has been plagued with intermittent misfires. Finally figured out that the firing pin is slightly short and a loaded round in the chamber that was a little undersized moved just far enough forward to leave a small dent on the primer but not fire. Rather than have a gunsmith fabricate a longer firing pin, I began neck sizing brass that had been fired in the rifle before. Now it is surefire!

The rifle is very accurate with sub MOA groups not unusual. I was thinking about getting rid of it but now, because the misfiring issue is taken care of, am very glad I didn't. It is light and handy, but to my eye a little too long. Being so slim and long almost gives it a 'toothpick' look.

I like this gun a lot! Very nice. I remember handling a regular stock effect in 30-06. What a nice gun that was. I had to sleep on it. Never saw one prior to that. I went back a few days alter and it was sold. My hesitation was the caliber was a bit larger than I wanted for how this would have been used. Now these are no longer imported and I do have regrets. I know the Blazer cost more, but; I like this gun better. It is not about the price it is the gun. These were really nice.

Someone mention H&R with regards to Blazer and I get the comment. I have several H&R. A person has to handle the guns and eye ball the workmanship in person. The Henry is also an ok gun - but; again the real gun not quite what I expected from photos. I wont turn negative, these all four are guns I like in one context or another. I also get the Brno, poor man comment, but; dont be fooled. Brno (or now CZ) is a quality product and they are not giving those away. And CZ is accurate.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some people are butt hurt because they cannot afford a Blaser K95, so all they can do is insult the fine rifles. RJ

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
they look like an H&R Topper with nicer wood and bluing....

If that is what you think or if that makes you feel better, have at it. I would guess you've not spent much time with a K95.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rj308
Some people are butt hurt because they cannot afford a Blaser K95, so all they can do is insult the fine rifles. RJ

I can't afford one, but it only makes me envious.

I do have a couple of 6-7lb bolt guns, and I'm really becoming a fan of that weight range. I guess a little reshuffling of resources is in order.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Pappy, I could not afford to buy the one I have either. I got it in the early 90's when I traded in 3 rifles that I never hunted and a small amount of cash. That's exactly what I did, reshuffled my resources. RJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.