Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With a new shooter, close is good enough. If you know how, you would be giving them a much better lesson with teaching them how to use their eyes, setting up with a good hold point, blending in with the target speed, rather than fretting over exact fit.

Those boys in the video are shooting with their eyes. 👀
The hands follow the eyes, once you have learned to use and trust them.

Last edited by battue; 12/27/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The eyes are the easy part, if you can keep them away from idiots that keep telling them to close one ! laugh

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Using the eyes ARE the hard part.

Almost all will say after a big win, their eyes are wore out from focusing hard on the target.

Last edited by battue; 12/27/19.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was taught that the only thing that you are shooting at was the words "White Flyer" in the center of the target . I hated shooting remington targets ! wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jimy
I was taught that the only thing that you are shooting at was the words "White Flyer" in the center of the target . I hated shooting remington targets ! wink

Great advice!!!! Although the pros today recommend the leading edge. 🙂

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by jimy

Great advice!!!! Although the pros today recommend the leading edge. 🙂

Morning Bat and Jimy....Jumping in with a couple things. First there is a very nice Citori O/U in 16ga in our classifieds for $1250.

Yes, I saw it last night, but I passed, and you know why....Take a look, tell me what you think. I did get an itch looking it over that maybe?.....I would be better with one now....Hands in my pockets, looking towards the sky, thinking maybe this o/u would be different.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...re-fs-browning-citori-16-ga#Post14407207

Dad, taught us boys forward leading edge shooting, but he called it “Bill Shooting” on ducks and geese or “Shooting heads on pheasants”. That was 40 years ago. I guess nothing has changed in how birds fly...This still works.

I watched a trap competition once in person....The shotgunners seemed to have a timing or internal cadence in their head from the moment they called the bird to pulling the trigger making smoke outta the clays.

None of them seemed to follow a clay, but maybe 1.5 seconds above the trap house. Didn’t appear as difficult as shooting Skeet 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Leaving for work. I’m a 16 Gauge guy. Brownings are great if you like them. Price is fair if it is in great shape. A little high if it is dinged.

Hate to admit this, but that style Browning personally doesn’t fit me all that well. 😀😳

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My father shot Brownings very well, but for me, they don't fit at all, way to much drop. The only thing I shoot worse is a s/s I quit embarrassing myself with them a long time ago !

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff guys, learning a lot more than I expected. Dad was a great trap and wing shooter, smoked ducks and all. Won MANY trophy's back in the day, he reloaded often. Mostly shot custom stocked Model 12s, but also had a Krieghoff.

His buddy....was a guru, some may have heard of this local guy who has since passed. He was fooling with mercury in gun stocks decades ago, along with anything he thought might give him an edge. He was always helping folks at the gun club.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/shreveporttimes/obituary.aspx?pid=157648731

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jimy most of what you have to say is true. However you are ten steps ahead of the point Battue is making. None of your advise and no perfectly fitted stock is going to magically make a guy or gal that shoots 100 +/- rounds a year a good shooter or even a better shooter. It may let me say this again it may make them hit a few more at that time.

I made it 4 punches shy from Master Class with a poorly fitted shotgun. Ask Battue about my homemade stock job! smile

I wanted to shoot sporting clays with the gun I hunt with the most. A Benelli M1 Super 90. So I made it work.

The best advice I can give to anyone truly wanting to shoot a shotgun well is these few points.

1) Take the bead off your barrel!

2) Shoot as much as you can!

3) Shoot with guys/gals that know how to teach! Accept their pointers and maybe book a lesson or two with them.

4) Shoot Sporting Clays Tournaments.

Work on your hold point/insertion point/break point.

Battue's point about the eyes is the most valid in this post. If your eyes are not tired after shooting a round of a 100 you were not focusing enough on the target!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Battue's point about the eyes is the most valid in this post. If your eyes are not tired after shooting a round of a 100 you were not focusing enough on the target!

This is a good tip, gents.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice wood, and info folks, helps A Lot.......so a guy was hunting yesterday with a 101 he bought back in the 70s or 80s.....it was a 28" 20, IIRC, and he had an IC and perhaps a MC!

I inherited my grandfather’s 101. A late 60’s model iirc choked ic/mod. It needed a good cleanup internally (not shooting the 2nd shot) but has been truly a death ray on birds but perhaps just because it fits me so well. For the money a good value I would say.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great feedback folks, thanks everyone!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Huglu makes many shotguns for many companies. Not one mention ov them. Around here for csusaul shooters the condors seem to fill a lot of hands too.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ldholton
Huglu makes many shotguns for many companies. Not one mention ov them. Around here for csusaul shooters the condors seem to fill a lot of hands too.

Just my opinion but you can keep anything made by Huglu, easy pass for me.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have bought 2 Yildiz O/U shotguns from Academy Sports the past 2 years. I bought a 20 last year, and I liked it so much I bought a 12 to go with it this year. A really well-balanced gun, and a lot of gun for the price. Especially for hunting. If I were going to shoot 10,000 shells a year with them, I would probably get a different shotgun. I like them and would recommend. I bought them for under $400 each. I got the 12 this year on sale for $349.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I have bought 2 Yildiz O/U shotguns from Academy Sports the past 2 years. I bought a 20 last year, and I liked it so much I bought a 12 to go with it this year. A really well-balanced gun, and a lot of gun for the price. Especially for hunting. If I were going to shoot 10,000 shells a year with them, I would probably get a different shotgun. I like them and would recommend. I bought them for under $400 each. I got the 12 this year on sale for $349.

How do they pattern?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by ldholton

Just my opinion but you can keep anything made by Huglu, easy pass for me.

Ran across a CZ Mallard (Huglu, I believe) in 20 gauge several years back. It was a gun the dealer had ordered in for a club's gun raffle and wasn't for sale. Can't speak to the quality of the gun's internal mechanics. The wood was nice, but fairly pedestrian. But the gun fit me and pointed like my finger. I woulda given it a whirl had it been for sale.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Yoder409

But the gun fit me and pointed like my finger.

Yoder409 I don't know your experiance and this isn't aimed at you. I suspect that a lot of guys that make statements about factory guns fitting them has a whole lot more to do with how the gun feels to them in their hands. Rather than actually truly fitting them.

I have a good friend that wanted a high end sporting clays gun. He asked me to help him decide. I told him that is impossible because no two people are the same. So I helped him through the process. First order was looking at the different companies and models. I noticed something right away. Perazzi, Zoli, and Guerini's all didn't "feel like they fit him"! So I said lets try out some from Kolar and Krieghoff. Right away he said see these fit me. Nope they didn't fit him any better all were standard off the shelf guns. What he perceived as fit was actually feel. The weight and balance is what suited him. Yet he swore up and down that he could buy the one on the showroom floor and it was perfect. So I said to him slow down and let's get you fitted first and see what your measurements actually are. Sure enough when he saw what was suggested by the fitter he was surprised at how much different they actually are. He ended up buying a K-80 with a custom stock.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heresy, heresy!!!! The man from Pa, says tar and feather....and then run him out on the rail...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.