Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Howdy folks,

I’ve been putting in with some friends for several years, and we’ve built up 6 points for Colorado (7 after this year) and are looking for an outfitter for 2021. What units and what outfitters might you recommend? Or rather would we be better off going OTC with an outfitter and then using our points (assuming that can be done)? Also, what kind of budget should we set for an outfitter? Another thought is using our mulie tags (we have about 5 points there) and scouting and then using our elk points. Ideally, we’d like to hunt first rifle. We’re non-Colorado residents.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
no deer during first rifle....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As for a budget for outfitters; The good one's will be booking for 2021 now and you can expect to pay, as a fee for the outfitter alone, somewhere north of $4,500. Then you will have guide tips which are typically between 10% and 20% of the outfitter fee. Then if you kill one, or two, there will be the packer tip. Also, if there is a cook you will be looking at a tip for them as well. For an example, my last time using Jeanne Horne at J Bar H Outfitters, we each paid $4,800 for the outfitter fee, $600 for the guide tip and $100 per elk for the packers. Also, $100 for the cook. For the one of us that got a double, they paid the guide $800. Our total cost, including everything, was around $8,000/person. (Traveling from Tenn.) And, yes, I would recommend J Bar H Outfitters, Unit 12 between Meeker and Craig in NW Colorado. I hope this helps, and good luck in your search.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. And I hope I’m
Incorrect in this assumption. But your 8 points in 2021 will be about the equivalent of 3 points today. The new season structure that starts in 2020, and gets really wild in 2021 is going to cause major point creep across everything.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. And I hope I’m
Incorrect in this assumption. But your 8 points in 2021 will be about the equivalent of 3 points today. The new season structure that starts in 2020, and gets really wild in 2021 is going to cause major point creep across everything.

Why?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=alpinecrick.

Why?
[/quote]

In2021 the1st elk rifle season starts about the same time as past years 2nd rifle.The 2nd rifle starts end of October

.I think a lot of guys are going to switch and try to get a 1st rifle tag in the draw. Many are not equipped or want to hunt in snow or colder weather. NR especially don't like to fight the snow and it is certainly more of a chance to get it later. Even in 2020,if I put in for a draw it will be the1st rifle.I think left over tags for the1strifle will be darn rare.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore

In2021 the1st elk rifle season starts about the same time as past years 2nd rifle.The 2nd rifle starts end of October

.I think a lot of guys are going to switch and try to get a 1st rifle tag in the draw. Many are not equipped or want to hunt in snow or colder weather. NR especially don't like to fight the snow and it is certainly more of a chance to get it later. Even in 2020,if I put in for a draw it will be the1st rifle.I think left over tags for the1strifle will be darn rare.

I was thinking along those lines too. More of a hope than prediction, but if all the fair weather hunters want to try and crowd into the 1st season, that will make it easier for me to draw the later seasons. At my age I've mostly given up waiting to draw the "premium" seasons, and am scouting and preparing for the later seasons--which sometimes have advantages.

One thing is with the seasons occurring later it makes the higher terrain "out of bounds" 'cause few animals will be above 10k or so. It might crowd more hunters into less area.

I have two units where I can usually draw a cow tag for the 1st season if I want, but it's high altitude, and the elk are gone beyond the first 10 days of October. I do think the long gaps between seasons can make hunting better in most places though.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 12/24/19.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For the next 5 years, 1st rifle opens the 1st Saturday after the 9th of October just like previous years. Biggest change is adding a 9 day break between end of 1st and opening of 2nd. Also cutting the 3rd rifle to 7 days providing a 4 day break between 3rd and 4th.

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
OP Offline
B
Interesting to hear...any other thoughts on the budget or outfitters?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's the list of Colorado outfitters in Bugle magazine. IMO $4500 will probably be on the low end of pricing. The points thing can be very frustrating but I'd start making phone calls. The outfitters should know how many points are required for their units.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.