Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Lotsa shiit will work, I’ve done it, in probably the “worst” elk hunting conditions possible, nothing hurts em right now like a big chunk of lead started out 2800 FPS or so... I’ve killed and seen several killed with 22’s, 243, 6mm, 25/06 etc... huntin dry states, ie, not western Washington, Oregon or North Idaho, I’d use about anything, the aforementioned states are a total different game...

Some guys dont get that chidt. My boss wont hunt here. He much prefers montana. Hes killed a truck load of bulls. Uses one rifle. Doesnt really enjoy handloading for that 1 rifle. Doesnt shoot nearly as much as i do. To me, having just 1 rifle would be absolutely boring, as ive shot elk with ruger m77 mkII's, cz550, Winchester model 70's, sporterized m1917's and a myriad of cartridges. Those being 30-06, 300wsm, 338wm, 9.3x62mm. They all work, just got to put that bullet in the right place. However, i think my favorite is always going to be the daddy of the 7mm rem mag, the 338wm. Lets face it, thats why they made the 338.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've often pondered simply using the 7 lb 30-06 in my safe for everything. Then I come to my senses. crazy

B, theres nothing wrong with that. Ive killed elk with rhe 30-06 and 200gr partition. That combo in the elk woods is absolutely devastating.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Beware the man with one rifle!

Ive seen a lot of guys with 1 gun that cant shoot for chidt too. The majority of them in fact.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by devnull
Beware of the man with one gun; He might be able to use it.

Yeah, MIght is about right. I know quite a few people that hunt with one rifle, a couple are good hunters and can shoot, the others miss quite often, a couple don't even shoot their gun before the season cause it was sighted in last year when they put it away (I don't get it), and the only way they get a deer is if the deer has a heart attack when they shoot or they run into the bullet on purpose and commit suicide.
BBbbbaaaahahahahahahaha

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My latest “elk killin” rifle has killed nothing so far, at least while I’ve had it, which hasn’t been very long.

It’s an FN 338-06 that really likes the 210 gr NPT over Varget pushing 2,800 fps. Haven’t clocked it yet, just a book estimate. Sub inch. Don’t think it would bounce off an elk. Hits hard without dislodging one’s dental work. Easy packing, easy shooting rifle. Also likes 200’s over H-380. Need to try the 210’s with that one.

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A local acqu aintance has been killing elk for over 40 years with a Remington 722 in .300 Savage he bought while in high school, as I recall using 180-grain Corelokt factory ammo. Obviously he is not a "long-range" hunter, but he has never had any trouble.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Beware the man with one rifle!

Ive seen a lot of guys with 1 gun that cant shoot for chidt too. The majority of them in fact.

My thought as well. Of the guys I know who own one rifle, I can’t think of one that actually shoots much. Doesn’t mean they don’t get their deer or elk every year, but none of them do I consider to be marksmen.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Even if the one-rifle man can shoot well, being beware is often justified, because he can bore the hell out of you talking about it's perfection.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Even if the one-rifle man can shoot well, being beware is often justified, because he can bore the hell out of you talking about it's perfection.

So true. Every one rifle man is totally enamored with his one rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Not sure about my shooting, but the rest of this does sound like me.😀

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I know a few guys like that. One uses BLR/308, another a Mod 700 BDL .270, another the same rifle but in 25-06. I grew up poor, got frustrated with "make do" from 11 to 16 until I bought my own "deer gun", a Mod 94 Classic carbine. I didn't use another until I got out of the Army. Being now newly married to the Love of my Life and the next year a father of twin girls...I was only "not quite so poor". So, I began using, trying out, then selling or trading to obtain another ( never accumulated). I also learned a lot by working up loads for friend's rifles. I didn't really "keep" more than a couple rifles until I moved to Utah. By 1993, I was a 280AI and a 338WM fan. Then...I tried to settle on one rifle for everything....too late, I was "ruint", had to find a way to keep 4-5, from varmints to Buffalo, ha. Now, as I am slowing down, 3-4 keep me busy at the range and/or hunting. I like to take a spare rifle on any long or booked hunt away from home area, so any rifle I have beyond the .223 ( I mean you HAVE to have a varmint/predator rifle!, right?) has to at least be "elk capable" ( I justify it this way :)) . Life is short...way too short to use just ONE rifle! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/28/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've often pondered simply using the 7 lb 30-06 in my safe for everything. Then I come to my senses. crazy

It's a tempting thought, but I sure do like all those other rifles!

Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, these conversations are circular. However, I don't think there are many good shooters that haven't poured thousands of rounds through his .22 rimfire.
If he is competent with the rimfire nearly any big game round will be perfect...within reason

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My first actually made for me like I wanted it is a Springfield A3. Barrel turned down pretty sleek, plain grain Maple stock, blind magazine, flat bottom forend and a straight comb. Took six years to get it and I filled the inbetween time with a Remington 700 BDL in 270. Both rifles killed elk but I liked the 30-06 a bit better using 180 gr. Speer Hotcors no less. Was hunting for meat and made every effort not to hit shoulders or straps. Then I fell into the abyss and started trying out everything under the sun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A good friend in MT has been hunting with the same rifle since about 1950. It is a Rem 721 in 270 Win. He has killed more elk and deer than anyone that I know. It is a rare year that he does not kill both elk and deer. back in the day the deer would have been multi each year because of extra tags.

Always the same bullet, a 150 hornady with a load of 4931 I believe. If it works don't change it.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My latest “elk killin” rifle has killed nothing so far, at least while I’ve had it, which hasn’t been very long.

It’s an FN 338-06 that really likes the 210 gr NPT over Varget pushing 2,800 fps. Haven’t clocked it yet, just a book estimate. Sub inch. Don’t think it would bounce off an elk. Hits hard without dislodging one’s dental work. Easy packing, easy shooting rifle. Also likes 200’s over H-380. Need to try the 210’s with that one.

DF

I keep telling you that you are really going to like that rifle/cartridge, the 210 NP will certainly work on elk. It also does quite a job on deer too.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS

DF

I keep telling you that you are really going to like that rifle/cartridge, the 210 NP will certainly work on elk. It also does quite a job on deer too.

Seafire and Gunner500 recommend H-380 for that round. It and Varget seem to work really well.

160 TTSX over Varget is very accurate, running at 3K fps.

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer Varget in mine due to temp sensitivity, but Reloder 15 is good also.

I have also used a bunch of H4895. Not the fastest, but really accurate and a pleasure to get trigger time with the rifle.

Have tried bullets from 160-275gr and always seem to gravitate back to the 200/210gr weight.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS
I prefer Varget in mine due to temp sensitivity, but Reloder 15 is good also.

I have also used a bunch of H4895. Not the fastest, but really accurate and a pleasure to get trigger time with the rifle.

Have tried bullets from 160-275gr and always seem to gravitate back to the 200/210gr weight.

My 338-06 didn't group as well with RL-15, although I did try several combos with it.

I'd read that 200-210 gr. bullets were probably ideal for that round. They do seem to preform well.

The 160 TTSX at 3K is interesting and about as accurate as any I've tried. It should whack'em pretty good.

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The 160 TTSX at 3K is interesting and about as accurate as any I've tried. It should whack'em pretty good.

DF

It works great!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.