Print Thread
Hop To
C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Does anyone have any first hand experience with these?

https://www.russellmoccasin.com/big-cambos-boot/

I am considering having a pair made to fit. My feet are goofy with different sizes, insteps, arches etc. and I have never been able to get a good fit with leather hiking style boots like Lowas, Schnees, Crispi, Kenetrek. I like a more flexible boot. The best I have found have been Saloman Quests but I only et a couple years out of them.

The are stupid expensive but likely worth it in the long run if I can get them fit correctly. They would certainly last longer than 2 years.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I want a pair of Russell boots real bad too.... but you are right... crazy expensive... I live just north of the factory... and visited it once... Really cool place.
I got my feet measured by the staff but never sent in any money yet... If I am going to do it I will do it this spring. The boots I want will be over 600 and they should be my last pair of hunting boots...

If you have odd feet and want a custom boot... for sure this would b the place to get them.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the short Phs which are similar but with canvas quarters. Great boots and very comfortable. They are about ready for a re-soling but the uppers have held up fine. I also have the thorn brush hunters and they are very comfortable too. For more rough country use I would also look at the high country hikers and the Mt. PH are good too.

I would get heel counters and the poron midsole, I also like a stepped heel instead of the wedge, but both are fine and it comes down to personal preference. They will last a long time, longer than many other boots which off sets the initial cost some.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one needs custom boots, then for sure get them. With proper fit one can do miles without a thought. Look to be at least double stitched, but I've no idea how the soles are attached.

I'm a fan of custom Whites (Spokane, Wa) presently with 4 pair. One pair has been rebuilt twice (so on their third set of bottoms) and the other three are still original. Also expensive but probably a little stouter than the above with triple stitching on the uppers and soles attached via stitching, screws, and glue. Whites are not light flexible shoes though.

Edited: If one goes custom with Whites there is of course an additional fee. That is not the case, however, for subsequent orders, as they retain the lasts.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/19.

1Minute
C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I had a pair put-up a long time ago and this very expensive proposition did not work for me. I have a 13-A foot and have hunted for good fitting boots all of my life. It is a tough show... In any event, the Russells I purchased were well constructed, but were a blister factory. Because I really liked the boots, I tried every sock system known to man to overcome the blistering issue-all to no avail. I sent them back to the factory and the reworked boots still chewed-up my feet. I believe the only way to get a proper fitting pair for odd ball feet is to go to the factory, as you have done, and have a pro draw your foot pattern. If you can get them to fit your feet, you will not be disappointed with their construction or leather quality. CP.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have odd shaped large feet. I hunt in Russells and love them. My first pair were insulated Birdshooters with Roccia soles wore them 20 years when I was young and hunted hard and often. Next pair were TLC climbers. I have had them more than 10 years and they are holding up great and are very comfortable. 3rd pair Kangaroo bird shooters. Not as good a fit but still good. Have had them resoled once. Both the pairs I have now I will have the rest of my life the way they are holding up. I think they are worth the money. The people I hunt with buy new boots every 2 or 3 years and spend way more in the long run and never have the fit or quality. Neither of mine leak either, rain,snow wading creeks. They cost more because they are worth it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Despite their "custom" fitting, I've returned boots made by Russell too often to order again. Their store is full of boots returned due to not fitting as expected. Fortunately I'm a size 10D in just about every boot made, so getting boots that fit properly is not a problem.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a pair and cant think of a single reason to purchase another, unless nostalgia is your thing.

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well I ended up in some Kenetreks. We will see how they go. They seem to check the box well.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've been getting their Grand Slam Sheep Hunters with Leather Lined Uppers, Air Bob soles, and 400 gram Thinsulate did my own measuring and they fit perfect and are comfortable, on my second pair in 20 years. Best to measure with the style socks you intend to wear and standing up with all your weight on your feet (letting your spouse trace your feet). About 8 bills now.

They had a 20% off sale on their Turkey Hunters a while back, but think it ended with New Year.

Phil

IC B3

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I ended up in a pair of Kenetreks. Now the break in fun...

I did a shooting hike in them and they really did well new. Comfortable boots. They are stiff though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 71 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.