Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In Tennessee we can shoot until 30 minutes after sundown but lights and NV not legal.

And I'm not talking about shooting deer in a field at last legal right in your state; rather a rig for deep woods on overcast afternoons until at least sundown.

Seems a lot darker in the Swamp than it used to be even 10 years ago, so my age is probably a factor. I've let several bucks walk in the past few years when it got way to dark and blurry to take an ethical shot.

Oh yeah, shots less than 100 yards.

Wondering if any of y'all had put together a rig for those conditions and how it worked.

My thinking is get a European 8x56 and put it on a bigger-than-.30-caliber with Barnes-type bullets to ensure two large holes to bleed from if high shoulder shot isn't possible. Thinking .358 or .45-70 at this point.

Thoughts, photos or anecdotes appreciated.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 12/28/19.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno the cartridge choice is a solution, but you might do well with an illuminated reticle or red dot sight.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Was perusing and saw some makers offer IR dots on crosshairs. The Docter 8x56 doesn't have one but it's also only one under a grand.

I'm mainly want that 7mm exit pupil to let me see branches and thread bullets through.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Trijicon Accupower 2.5-10x56, set at 8x or under, will give you 7mm exit pupil and an aluminated reticle for about $800 or less. I honestly wouldn’t worry about needing a bigger caliber. I’ve used the 130gr TTSX in a 308 and they leave big exits. I bet the same for a 7mm-08 and 120s.

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 12/28/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Remington model 7 in 308 for just such events. I had the factory skinny barrel screwed off and put on a sporter contour and had it cut to 21".

Meopro 6x42 with a #1 reticle. You can see it easily 30 minutes after in the swamp.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
I have a Remington model 7 in 308 for just such events. I had the factory skinny barrel screwed off and put on a sporter contour and had it cut to 21".

Meopro 6x42 with a #1 reticle. You can see it easily 30 minutes after in the swamp.

Nice.

I've got a little .358 on a M7 with a 21" Douglas #3 that's much the same. Used a 6x42 Heavy Duplex in it for years. The Meopro/Nazi 1 would be hard to beat.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like your rig there GH. I have had several Model 7s and "upgraded" them to sporter weight barrels! I am tall, and usually kept them 24" though. I am going to try a Ruger 77 338RCM 20" for a shorty, see how I like it. I've has good results with the Leupold 1.5x5; 2x7, 1x4 in SE Texas thickets.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not sure why the need for .35 or .45 in your neck of the woods. A 308 Win or 7-08 Rem sporting a good scope, possibly utilizing a scout scope setup, which is ideal inside 200 yards for quick shots on stationary or moving game seems a much better choice in timber. The 308 Win utilizing 150 gr loads up to 200 gr loads is quite the versatile beast.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yeah, a 130gr TTSX from a 308 doing 3100fps, knocks the WET right off them.

Which reminds me, I still need to cut down a tree to recover one that went through a deer a few years ago.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gooch,

I'll check out that Trijicon vs the Docter for sure and other variables with objectives bigger than 50 and prices south of a grand.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dunno the cartridge choice is a solution, but you might do well with an illuminated reticle or red dot sight.

I've had a couple of 20" .308 rifles for this role, one with a Trijicon Accu-Point and the other with a Leupold VX-R. Both were effective for making those last few minutes count.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Gooch,

I'll check out that Trijicon vs the Docter for sure and other variables with objectives bigger than 50 and prices south of a grand.

Seriously, check out the Meopro 6x42 with either NAZI reticle, 1 or 4.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve got several set up just for such use....but I’d recommend staying away from red dots and scout setups for low light use. Neither does well for hunting your stated scenario....they’ll go dark before your naked eye does, most likely. I’ve used 2-7 and 3-9 VX-Rs, 1-4 Trijicon, illuminated full field E1, Leupold 1-4 w/German #1, 6x42s, 56mm stuff, etc.

A few thoughts: I have not found the 6 plus power, large objective to be any advantage in low light <150yd, woods/swamp hunting. Fields, cut overs? Sure. Good glass and 5+ exit pupil and 3-6x is more than enough. Much more than 4x fades out limbs and vines in between (for me), and your holes turn out to not be holes. Some illum and tritium isn’t dim enough, and hurts rather than helps, sometimes. Heavier bullets that penetrate in a worse case scenario (limb, bad angle, etc) don’t hurt. Before anyone misconstrues: not talking about ‘brush busting’, but I’ve nipped a limb or vine I didn’t see on occasion, and still hit the deer. Penetration and two holes help there, and a lighter bullet doesn’t likely have the ass of the heavier bullet once deformed any. Can’t ‘know’ any of that. Just what I’ve seen. I often use a 357 max with 180-200gr SP or WFNGC cast lead, in a 16” encore with a 2-7 Terra or 1-4 VX2 w/G1....heavy reticles seem to do just as good or better than illum. Maneuverability for awkward positions to shoot through a hole is often a thing. I do the same thing with other, smaller bores just fine most times, but there’s some variables once it starts gloaming in the timber. No ‘expertise’. Just experiences.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/28/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Can’t quite understand why you would spend the kind of funding a good 50mm objective scope would cost to shoot approximately 100 yards. Most 50mm scopes start at 5x and many start at 10x. The purpose would be to take full advantage at long distances to utilize that magnification, i.e., 400, 500, 600 yards. Having a large objective lens with higher magnification does not render greater light gathering to the eye. Exit pupil, your eyes ability to capture light is based on objective lens and power with the greater number offering more light to the eye. Your 50mm on 5x gives an exit pupil of 10mm and not really a great field of view at 100 yards. By the same comparison a 2x-7x-33mm will provide an exit pupil of 16.5mm, quite a bit more than the 50mm. Even set at 3x it provides an exit pupil of 11mm. Whether set at 2x or 3x that is plenty out to 200 yards with greater field of view than a 50mm objective lens. No offense but would not achieve more light gathering capability to your eye and would be spending a great deal more money than necessary for your stated hunting condition.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Can’t quite understand why you would spend the kind of funding a good 50mm objective scope would cost to shoot approximately 100 yards. Most 50mm scopes start at 5x and many start at 10x. The purpose would be to take full advantage at long distances to utilize that magnification, i.e., 400, 500, 600 yards. Having a large objective lens with higher magnification does not render greater light gathering to the eye. Exit pupil, your eyes ability to capture light is based on objective lens and power with the greater number offering more light to the eye. Your 50mm on 5x gives an exit pupil of 10mm and not really a great field of view at 100 yards. By the same comparison a 2x-7x-33mm will provide an exit pupil of 16.5mm, quite a bit more than the 50mm. Even set at 3x it provides an exit pupil of 11mm. Whether set at 2x or 3x that is plenty out to 200 yards with greater field of view than a 50mm objective lens. No offense but would not achieve more light gathering capability to your eye and would be spending a great deal more money than necessary for your stated hunting condition.

An exit pupil over 7mm is probably of no benefit. Given a usable exit pupil and the same quality glass, magnification will help see more details and the image will appear brighter. You'll be missing a lot more detail at 100 yards in low light with a 2x and 16.5 mm exit pupil than you will with an 8x and 7mm exit pupil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wanted a really bright scope with good illumination for my AR and went thru a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 with a post reticle and a Docter Clissic 3-12x56 with a #1 reticle and just bought a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 with a L3 reticle.

The Docter wasn't illuminated, if the Docter had the Trijicon illumination I would have stopped right there. Bobby ended up with the Docter and rated it right with a S&B.Watch the eye relief on the Docter's if that's a burden to you. I like the Docter's, I have a 6x42 with a A7 reticle in inventory in case I get a rifle it will work on.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
While you see more detail at 100 yards with something like an 8x56, you’ll see less detail between the muzzle and 100 yards. In the timber, those detail in between sometimes matter more than counting eyelashes at 100.

At least for me, that’s been true. Not saying that more is the wrong choice, either....just be aware that more magnification looks through more little stuff up close, and you have to account for it. If you’re talking variable 2-10x56 or such, you can accommodate for that easily. I’ve traded some loss at range for reticle and depth, and using smaller scopes, but that’s my eyes. I’d still run a 6x or 8x on a pure stand rifle and not lose sleep over it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

ha, Dan when I read the Title, YOU immediately came to mind. laugh
You were the First respondent. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

Nice.

I've got a little .358 on a M7 with a 21" Douglas #3 that's much the same. Used a 6x42 Heavy Duplex in it for years. The Meopro/Nazi 1 would be hard to beat.

Just picked up a BLR in .358. I believe the 1.5-6x42 meo with the German 4 will work for the same purpose as mentioned.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^Very similar to what I’ve hunted for years...those and a Marlin in 356 W, but bowed out of the bigger 35s a while back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.