Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Better consider this.

Snow, Traffic Jams and Electric Cars - has anyone thought about it?

If all cars were electric ... and were caught up in a three hour traffic jam…
With dead batteries - then what?

[]

Not to mention, that there is virtually no heating in an electric vehicle.

And if you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating !!!

You can try calling 911 to bring woman and children to safety!

But they can not even come to help you since all roads are blocked !!!!

And when the roads become unblocked no one can move!

How do you charge the thousands of cars from the traffic jam?

Same problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams.

This will make cars run out of “fuel” and cause never ending traffic jams.

But that will never happen – eh - ?

I'll stick with my old fashioned internal combustion auto. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The day will come that there will be smaller, much more powerful batteries that are not adversely affected by cold. MAYBE when that happens, electric cars will be feasible. Right now, not so much.

Be not weary in well doing.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My wife has always wanted a Toyota Prius...so I finally got her one and its been great. Its the best of both electrical and gas. The best benefit that I like is having saved on gas money... it lets me send it on something else that I like better ... smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At least some electric cars have heaters, after a fashion. The Nisson Leaf has a heat pump. Of course it runs on the battery and sucks power. If you're stuck in a cold weather traffic jam, I'm sure it will pull down the batteries after a while.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a related note I heard that Volkswagen will be introducing a new totally electric vehicle. To be called the "Voltswagen".

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
My wife has always wanted a Toyota Prius...so I finally got her one and its been great. Its the best of both electrical and gas. The best benefit that I like is having saved on gas money... it lets me send it on something else that I like better ... smile
My son has a Prius hybrid. He gets 50 mpg on the highway. It's been totally reliable in the 6 or 7 years he's had it. The ability to use gas makes a big difference as it has a real heater and alternator.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It’s interesting....there’s this continuum of attitude we have about new technology. Some mindlessly embrace it wholeheartedly while others dig their heels in and (just as mindlessly) say, “It’ll never work.”

If we examine the last couple of hundred years of technological advancement we see a lot of examples. Hell, cartridge firearms and smokeless powder weren’t widely accepted at first, and look at the early history of internal combustion powered automobiles. I’m not about to go out and buy an electric car, but I’ve no doubt I will if I live long enough. I’ve also no doubt my grandkids will be telling their grandkids stories about learning to drive with gasoline powered cars that you needed to know something beyond the name of your destination to operate.

Self driving vehicles are right around the corner. My guess is they’ll be able to run a lot faster than driver operated vehicles reducing congestion and making traffic jams a thing of the past.

We have so much of our identity wrapped up in the vehicles we drive that we will struggle desperately to retain the status quo, but eventually progress will triumph again.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Biggest scam since global warming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of death right around the corner too.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Are taxpayers still subsidizing the purchase of electric cars?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I thought about it when I lived in town. But with the deep snow and cold we have to deal with here I decided it wouldn't be beneficial. No electric power stations in the breaks or mountains

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We had an electric car for about 5 years and finally got tired of it last year. Good thing is that it held its value enough to allow for an even up swap for a new hybrid. EVs are simply not ready for prime time for most people, but hybrids are fantastic. We get close to 50 mpg in the city in our car (BMW 530e) and the all-electric range is enough to run errands in town (I think it's about 20 miles of range before the gas engine kicks in). There's a lot to say for a car that will turn braking/coasting into additional range, rather than wasted heat. I'm far from an environmental lunatic, but I do like saving money, and this car was actually no more expensive than the gas version.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Perhaps we’ll see widespread use of small and highly efficient turbine engines to heat, run accessories, and extend the range of electric vehicles?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No. I want to burn up my share of the oil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They will probably become mainstream someday, but I'm not sure when. I'm old enough to recall stories I heard from old people back in the 1950's about the early gasoline powered vehicles. Back when folks used to yell; "Get a Horse !" at the early motorists, and the "experts" predicted that those cars were just too expensive and too unreliable to ever see commonplace, everyday, usage. Thinking about those stories now I guess they were the late 19th / early 20th century version of "fake news".

Last edited by 22250rem; 12/28/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What happens when the power grid goes out for a week? No charging. ..In fact I can tell you after being a electric lineman for 39 years(retired)the electric infrastructure is over loaded now.What in the hell will it be like when the car charging begins..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More electric vehicles where sold this year than were vehicles with a manual transmissions.

Click Here

Electric vehicle tax incentives were passed by congress and apply to the first 200,000 electric vehicles sold by each manufacturer, with incentives declining after than number is reached. Keep in mind that hybrid vehicles purchased a decade ago also received federal tax credits.

Yes, I want an electric vehicle and I'll likely own one soon. I can also read a weather forecast and if they weather is going to be bad and I'm forced to drive, I'll be in my FORD TRUCK. It's really not that complicated, is it?.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coobie
What happens when the power grid goes out for a week? No charging. ..In fact I can tell you after being a electric lineman for 39 years(retired)the electric infrastructure is over loaded now.What in the hell will it be like when the car charging begins..

How is the power grid at night, when most people with electric vehicles are charging them at home?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by coobie

How is the power grid at night, when most people with electric vehicles are charging them at home?
Overtaxed,because god only knows folks don't have the power on at night like home air conditioner, heating and such.Don,t forget factorys don't shut down at night.Hope that answered your question.

Last edited by coobie; 12/28/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A hybrid is a much better choice than an electric but from what I've seen, they're too expensive to ever recover the added cost. This summer we bought a Toyota Highlander. We looked at a hybrid just out of interest, no intention of buying one. In steady city driving, it MIGHT pay for itself in 10 years but out here in the country, it would never pay for itself. We'd be running on gas all the time.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
792 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.