Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of my friends in South Africa has been watching for a buffalo deal for me. He has rights to a 35,000 acre reserve near Kruger that needs 8 wild born 39-40" buffalo taken soon. He offered then to me at $8000 each.

He's a great guy I've known for 26 years. I trust him. How good of a deal is this for South Africa. I've only looked at buffalo in Zim and Mozambique. He said this is as close to that kind of hunt I'll get in South Africa.

Bb

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not a bad price but a little short on info i.e. is that just the trophy fee or "all in"? If that is just the trophy fee, what are the daily rates and how many days. IF that is "all in" meaning trophy fee AND say 7-days or so that is a pretty good deal. IF that is just the trophy fee and then there are daily rates on top of that at nominal DG rates of $850-$1000+ per day and they have a 7-10 day minimum.....becomes a bit questionable when you look at the total.

Next question is, what is the time frame? Warm summer temps and rainy season, say now to the end of May could make things very challenging.

On the up side, if it is from now to the end of May, airfare from the US to RSA is generally at the lowest of the year.

Last questions to think about and ask are: a) IF you think you might want to add some PG to the trip, get the fees up front. Next is let's say you are fortunate to get your buff within the first few days of the hunt and have X number of days left and want to hunt PG, will the daily rates drop back to their "regular" daily rate for PG or stay the same even if you kill your buff on the first day and spend the next 7+ day after PG.

Sometimes you'll see 5-7 day, late season, all in, left over quota buff hunts in RSA being offered on the web for around the same money.

Your friend may very well have you hooked up with a pretty good deal but, as always, the devil is in the details.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
IF it is a reserve “near” Kruger, then it is high fenced.So how are the buff “wild born”? Because of bovine TB, there’s no free range buff in SA except in the greater Kruger reserves physically adjoin the park.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
35,000 acres is plenty of room to make for "wild-born" animals.

If it's $8,000 all included this is a heck of a deal nowadays, especially if he can take PG at the regular prices without the restrictions of package PG hunts.

Ask the questions M3taco mentioned and find out the whole deal. I've seen some legitimate bargains over the years.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
His email this morning was pretty brief so I'm waiting for more details. I know his big 5 daily rate on Ndzalama is quite low at $450/day 1:1 but I'm not sure if the $8000 is all in yet or not.

He's $380/day on the same reserve for plains game 1:1 and $350 2:1. His plains game prices are very reasonable for the trophy quality of all wild fair chase. I've got a group of friends that want me to take them over plains game hunting this spring so he may have meant $8000 as an add on but I'll check.

If my health is good enough at the time I'll tag along with my friends. I've been trying to get back for 4 years but health issues and wifes travel have stopped me. I'm going to try to go this year if I have to do it in a wheelchair.

If it's all in for $8000 I may have to do buffalo sooner than I hoped to. Buffalo is the only big 5 on my bucket list. I still remember watching some of this guys buffalo hunting videos at his house in Potgietersrus in 1993. I've wanted a buff ever since but have yet to do it.

Bb

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
It's hard to say if the daily rate is good or not, depends on trophy fees. Make a list on what you might want to shoot and then decide. Then it depends on whether the trophy fee's are high or reasonable. Compare that against others in the area.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the reserve bordering Kruger or near? If it is one or the properties bordering Kruger like Klaserie there are no fences between it and Kruger so I wouldn't be concerned that it is a ranch hunt. And yes, 35000 acres is definitely big enough to have wild buffalo.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
They have access to many concessions near and around Phalaborwa. The one I was planning on taking my friends plains game hunting on is called Ndzalama and its between Tzaneen and Phalaborwa so it does not directly border Kruger. Its 35,000 acres but I think it's about 40ks from the park.

However he didn't specify where these buff permits are at. They could be on another concession but I know there are buff on Ndzalama. I'll just have to wait to hear back from him again. I misread his email, it actually said he had permits for 19 buffalo in the 39-40 range for $8000 each but they needed to be hunted soon. Sounds like a management situation somewhere. If it's all in I think it would be an incredible deal but given our prior conversations about a plains game trip this spring he may just mean $8000 trophy fee as an add on to our hunt. I'll just have to see.

Buff is on my bucket list but my health really sucks right now. I don't know if I can make the flight but now I've got several friends wanting to go and they all want me with them. One is a Dr so he says he'll just put an IV in me and keep me comfortable for the flight. I'm not sure the airline will go for that. I miss being healthy and mobile so much. I couldn't even road hunt deer close to home this fall due to pain and immobility and now I'm dreaming of Africa? Got to still have dreams I guess.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel your pain. I have had a few near death experiences in the last few years but did 2 NA hunts this year. Most of Africa and especially SA are not terribly physically demanding (as opposed to a NA elk hunt) so go if you can. At least make it a goal. Best of luck.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me 35000 acres is not a large piece of ground. If squared up its like 7.4 miles to a side. Then again, we have cow pastures in this county that are 100 square miles.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Sometimes good deals arise. I would do it. Far too many folks get buried in the details or listen to those with not much experience. You know and trust the guy in Africa.

I suggest flying business class. It is far far better than cattle class. You will arrive rested and ready to go. Much less stressful start to finish.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you get a chance to go, do it. I guarantee you will never regret it. Hunting in Africa has been one of the highlights of my life and I will return as often as my health and finances allow.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Let us know when you get all the details. If it's $8K all in for the Buff I'd be interested in joining you if you need an additional hunter. Especially if some plains game were available on a trophy fee only basis.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is the response I got from my friend in Africa this morning.

"The $8000 is only for the buffalo, daily rates still has to be added. I can make a special on the daily rates not to charge the dangerous game rate of $450 per day but the plains game rate at $380. The buffalo can be hunted between 1 and max 3 days. Plains game can be added like Sable.

Short back ground regarding the buffalo - these buffalo are not on the Ndzalama Game Reserve but on a farms close to the Kruger National Park (KNP). The buffalo originates from the KNP and are very nice bulls to hunt. I need to hunt them as soon as possible as there are too many to maintain on this farm, therefore the reduced price. We will stay at the Ndzalama Game Reserve lodge and do a about 20 minutes drive to the farm where the buffalo are. The plains game like Sable and other species will be hunted on the Ndzalama Game Reserve."

So if I'm reading him correctly it would be about $9000 all in just for buffalo or a little less if you get one the first day or two. The buffalo come from kruger and will be hunted on a farm that borders it. You could easily do plains game while there for $380 a day plus trophy fees. His trophy fees are really competitive.

I've got a small group of friends that want to go but it's their hunt so I'm not comfortable inviting others. I know their lodge on Ndzalama sleeps 12 so that's the limit on group size. Our group is at 6 or 7 friends.

I don't mind passing the information on to any campfire members if you are interested in putting together another group. They need to take 19 buffalo soon and maybe only 2-3 from our group will take a buffalo so there is plenty.

I'm not a paid agent but would not mind helping my friend fill these spots. Maybe we could do a campfire group at the front or tail of my friends group. That way if I make it over I could spend time with both groups. It sounds like there are a lot of Buffalo with really good odds if he's confident in getting one in 3 days or less.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$9,000 is a good price for a buffalo hunt these days. A Sable is a great add-on if the price is reasonable.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd have to call 51+ square miles a pretty good sized place

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Yes, but given this "The buffalo can be hunted between 1 and max 3 days" it sounds like they know right where to find the buffalo they want to shoot.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarbe
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Yes, but given this "The buffalo can be hunted between 1 and max 3 days" it sounds like they know right where to find the buffalo they want to shoot.

When I hunter Masailand my PH and trackers had two of us on several good buffalo the first day out. Masailand is a bit bigger than this reserve. A good PH who does his advanced scouting should know where to hunt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just PM'd Rick about advertising some of this on the fire. Maybe I'll put more details up after I hear back. I think there are some great hunts available at reasonable prices.

Bb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, that's going to be a hell of a fun trip, especially if a man could add a big waterbuck and warthog.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think adding a warthog is about $360. Waterbuck is somewhere around $2000, I think sable is about $5,000. My friends are planning 7-10 days plains game and at least one guy is going to add the buffalo for $8000. He's just adding it to his plains game hunt.

Bb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounding really good Burleyboy, thanks for the updates as they become available. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is a High fence hunt. A 3 day hunt is the tip off.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When is the hunt going to take place?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Slider1
It is a High fence hunt. A 3 day hunt is the tip off.

Yep. Another was the 39-40” horn width.... Drive 20 minutes each morning and shoot your buff. Wow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.