Print Thread
Hop To
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I don't want to over do the farm threads, But I've been thinking about planting Oats in August, September next year for fall stockpile instead of Wheat, Triticale, Rye. The Rye usually gives me a little grazing in the fall when I need it, Then come spring you're wishing you had more stock to keep it knocked back. Then, While I'm keeping it from going to seed, all the other pasture goes to seed. I didn't like hay equipment when I had it, don't want it again, so I think the Oats might Give me more of the Fall grazing I need.

Wabi, Samo, or any of you others know anybody planting them in the fall?

BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
LJ—I’m a butcher by trade and have always been interested in the beef buisness. Always enjoy the pics on here from Jim and Sam and Richard. I have lived in the bush for the last 50 years so the nearest beef cow is at least 200 miles away. I wouldn’t know a thing about grazing cattle but I have been watching you-tube vids about Mob Grazing.
I’ll bet Greg Judy could answer your question as he is in Missouri also. Shoot him an email.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
When do you want to graze it? Just the fall?

When do you want it gone?

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 12/28/19.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While this is here I have a question.

Is it too late to plant triticale? I want to cut something early, then I'll follow with teff for 3-4 spring and summer cuttings.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by luv2safari
While this is here I have a question.

Is it too late to plant triticale? I want to cut something early, then I'll follow with teff for 3-4 spring and summer cuttings.

I'm not sure where exactly you are. But I'ld say it's almost certainly to late for anything but spring oats, Here they plant them in February or first chance to get on the field, and they can be a mother to get dry. Average rainfall here is 42 inches I think. Having someone come in and wrap the bales for "haylage, Baleage" would be a sound idea. More expensive, but higher quality. Depends on what you are feeding.

Originally Posted by kkahmann
LJ—I’m a butcher by trade and have always been interested in the beef buisness. Always enjoy the pics on here from Jim and Sam and Richard. I have lived in the bush for the last 50 years so the nearest beef cow is at least 200 miles away. I wouldn’t know a thing about grazing cattle but I have been watching you-tube vids about Mob Grazing.
I’ll bet Greg Judy could answer your question as he is in Missouri also. Shoot him an email.

I"ve been looking for an excuse to harass him about a leased field that's covered in brush. Cows wouldn't do any good, Don't think goats would stay in. Curious if sheep would strip bark and kill blackberries. Haven't said yes, but the cost would be... free.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
When do you want to graze it? Just the fall?

When do you want it gone?

Starting Nov1-15, Strip graze it tight until it's gone. Ohio University has a little research. Looks like good feed even after they die. Standing hay basically.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have done that with sorghum sudangrass.

It winter kills....no worry in the spring.

Its cheap too.

The Canadians use the hell out of grazing corn.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oats would have a better chance of winter killing than rye. If you get enough rain shortly after planting I'd imagine you'd have plenty to graze for 15days in Nov. I'd not be shy about mixing in other annuals that can put on a good amount of growth in a short time like forage turnips or other brassicas. Would be a good compliment and you'd probably not have much to worry about the next spring.

What do you plan on growing on the field during the summer? After the oats play out..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LJB,

There is no reason for either/or oats or rye. If you can start in August and IF you have adequate moisture you can plant both. The moisture is always the kicker here in Nebraska. If you have good summer moisture you can get tremendous fall grazing out of oats without hurting the rye’s ability to overwinter and produce great spring grazing. If you try it, make sure to pour the nitrogen on. I used about 50# actual N per acre. And also, be very careful taking cattle off dry, rough pastures and putting them on the oats. Magnesium is always lower in fall forage and if you’re running pairs, grass tetany can cause some bad problems.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've seen a lot of research on the corn and sorghum sudan, gave some serious thought to BMR pearl millet. I'ld like to plant a test plot, I like the cereals because I can usually get bin run VNS seed so they are pretty cheap, reliable, and good at scavenging the nitrogen thats already there.

Johnnie Dollar, thought I might throw some Turnip or Radish in the mix. Do you think the Oats would shade the rye out?

Jim, I've put enough ryegrass/fescue in this field, spring, summer i'll graze whats there, but there is no shade so that field is pretty useless July, August, early September.

I ever get the PH up to a decent range, it'll be put to perennial grass.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Scavenging nitrogen is good....as long as you can keep it sort of sequestered until you need it again.

A bulb or root crop will scavenge and store the N until you need it.

Been a long time ago, but there was some news about pearl millet and nitrates.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys are making this stuff sound so complicated.

I thought you just turned the cows out where there was some grass growing, like the guy behind me on the BLM land.

Then, after his last harvest on the pivot fields, he turns them out there.

Sheesh, I may have to look into a coupla goats for my 7 acre RANCH instead of a calf.

Geno

PS, honestly, you folks keep up the good work. Just about finished up our Christmas Eve standing rib roast tonight, it was from a tasty beef. Enough left on the bone for lunch tomorrow I think.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Down here where i live oats tend to winter kill a lot.

Wheat and rye are better at taking on the cold temps.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Oats shading out the rye? Never had that problem before but rye will suck the moisture out so the oats shrivel up and die if it turns dry. Rye is a very rugged plant.

Last edited by Johnny Dollar; 12/28/19.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Most every fall I no-till wheat and a little fescue in my pastures. The wheat will come up and give some fall grazing, plus also some early spring grazing as well, and the fescue of course just adds to what's already there. I have used rye, and it works about like wheat. I've never planted oats for grazing, but can't see why they wouldn't work, although oats planted in the fall do not usually come through the winter good.

The best thing to do is to contact your local extension office and county agent for their advice. Also, most of the larger farm supply stores will have people who work there who can help.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If I knew anything, I'd be happy to share. The county extension folks get paid for that sort of thing.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Oats shading out the rye? Never had that problem before but rye will suck the moisture out so the oats shrivel up and die if it turns dry. Rye is a very rugged plant.

Rye has natural herbicides in it. The old ones used to plant it in weedy fields back before herbicides were cheap and available.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1911a1, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 12344mag, 16Racing, 84 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,836
Posts18,402,529
Members73,824
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.