Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve oft been told there is wisdom to be found in the BITOG forums, but it appears to me to be like our own Optics forum on steroids: rife with rabid opinions, and short on evidence.

Just my $.02.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Another heads up, every spring and fall the local NAPA stores have a NAPA Gold filter sale that takes a little over 50% off the cost of Gold filter line. That includes oil, air, hydraulic and fuel filters. The local farmers, garages and industrial users take advantage of it. Your local stores may or may not do this.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, we stock up every spring at the local parts store oil and filter sale.

Barrel or two of oil, 20-30 various filters, it adds up to a good savings of money.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
AC Delcos on my Silverado; supposedly there is some magic fairy dust oil pressure difference that make the Delcos the only filter suitable for modern GM truck engines. Supposedly. Probably a bunch of hooey. But Delco filters are cheap enough, I bought a case of them when I bought the truck.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh the good old days of a $15.00 dollar oil change. Now I have to use a Mopar OEM high pressure oil filter and 0w-40 full syn Penzoil only oil, 7 quarts. Total cost >$75.00.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Little known fact.

The after market oil filters for a 6.0 Ford use a one time only filter cap.

Save your old cap if you ever plan on going back to Motorcraft filters.

I almost bought a fancy aftermarket oil filter cap but it was too much $$$.

And use 5w-40 year round in those POS's.

15 quarts.

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/27/19.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Yet the oil loonies on The Oil Guy's website rave about the Fram Synthetic filter. Pennzoil Synthetic oil too. They must be a bunch of buffoons.

I don't care how good they may be...

after having crap products from both Fram and Pennzoil.. I wouldn't use anything with their name on the side, regardless of how good that product may be..
there are other alternatives just as good, from more trustworthy names...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
NAPA Gold

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Little known fact.

The after market oil filters for a 6.0 Ford use a one time only filter cap.

Save your old cap if you ever plan on going back to Motorcraft filters.

I almost bought a fancy aftermarket oil filter cap but it was too much $$$.

And use 5w-40 year round in those POS's.

15 quarts.

Ran 1540 Rotella conventional for the first hundred thousand approximately then switch to 540 synthetic which I noticed a huge difference in cold weather starting. I just did my first oil change with 1540 Rotella fully synthetic, I’ll send out a oil sample to Blackstone and see how this stuff holds up. I mainly run Motorcraft filters throughout the truck, occasionally NAPA.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Napa gold on all of mine!

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Walmart has the cheapest oil prices by far so that’s where I’m usually buying it. Unfortunately they only seem to carry Fram filters and I’m not putting those on anything so I either swing by the Cummins dealer for a fleet guard stratopore for my 99 dodge diesel or the Toyota dealer for an OEM filter since everything else I own is Toyota. Wix/Napa/Carquest are all the same filter but I can get out of the dealership quicker and just as cheap as an auto parts store so I just use the Toyota ones.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Walmart has the cheapest oil prices by far so that’s where I’m usually buying it. Unfortunately they only seem to carry Fram filters and I’m not putting those on anything so I either swing by the Cummins dealer for a fleet guard stratopore for my 99 dodge diesel or the Toyota dealer for an OEM filter since everything else I own is Toyota. Wix/Napa/Carquest are all the same filter but I can get out of the dealership quicker and just as cheap as an auto parts store so I just use the Toyota ones.
The Walmart here carries a number of different brands besides Fram. Mobile 1, Motorcraft, Mopar, K&N, and others. Wix and some others are available online with a 2 day delivery to the store.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Walmart here carries a number of different brands besides Fram. Mobile 1, Motorcraft, Mopar, K&N, and others. Wix and some others are available online with a 2 day delivery to the store.

The Walmarts here seem to be about 95% Fram. I think the Motorcraft and Mopars are just for ford and dodge, and I don't really like the idea of K&N. They might be perfectly good but I don't like their bogus claims of increased horsepower from their oiled air filters that they used to push so hard, and they let in a lot of dirt so I view K&N as kind of a snake oil pushing company. The Napa, Wix, and Carquest filters are all the same, good filters but I always seem to get behind the guy that wants a distributor cap for a 1932 Packard when I go into an auto parts store so it ends up taking me 45 minutes to walk out with an oil filter. I find it easier to just hit the Toyota dealership parts counter when I'm driving by and buy enough filters for the next few changes, they've usually got them stacked up behind the counter for my Camry and Tundra, they're about $5 each and I trust they're a quality filter unlike some of the others.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Buy a Toyota, use Toyota filters, what ever oil yo uh like and stop worrying about such non sense.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fleetguard only in my '06 Cummins diesel.
Honda OEM in my Pilot, Accord, and Civic.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Napa platinum filters, they got em on sale in the spring for 1/2 off.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fram is garbage. I also believe CAT wont warranty anything with Baldwins on it. For my retired cop car that serves me well and gets me back and forth to work like an anvil Motorcraft only. Anything but Motorcraft and it knocks for half a second on startup. For my pickup Napa gold only. The wife's lease car. The cheapest damn oil filter I can find. As far as oil. Wal-mart sells Mobil 1 for $22 for 5 quarts here so everything has it in it from the lawn mower to the Crown Vic. i keep 4 or 5 jugs of it on hand at all times in 2 flavors.

Last edited by k20350; 12/29/19.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
NAPA Platinum or Gold. Wix makes them.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wix makes fantastic filters.

When I had the F150 I'd run Motorcraft. Local parts store had them cheap.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I ordered a genuine Toyota filter from Ebay for 2/3 the Amazon price. At the price, I have to wonder if it's a Chinese fake.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.