Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
No it isn't; sugar is sugar. Does not matter if it's a donut, snickers bar, teaspoon of honey, banana or grapes...….it's all sugar.

This.

I haven't eaten potatoes pasta, desserts, bread or fruit since May.
Pretty much all I eat is meat, vegetables and salads.
Snacks consist of jerky, nuts, cheese, salame etc...
I haven't felt this good in a long time.
So many people attempt the low carb lifestyle, but lack the willpower to succeed.

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No it isn't; sugar is sugar. Does not matter if it's a donut, snickers bar, teaspoon of honey, banana or grapes...….it's all sugar.

No, its not. Steel cut oats are not sugar.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
They all the same in that they all cause blood sugar spikes, all being carbs, which are forms of sugar.

Wrong. Sugar is a carbohydrate but not all carbohydrates are sugars.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a hard time relating to the whole "will power to drop carbs" thing. I stop eating grain and taters, and I feel better. Blood pressure is lower. Weight is lower. Stamina is up. Joints feel better.

Yeah, I'd love a great big bowl of spaghetti with elk meat ball sauce..... but I'd rather feel good! So ditch the spaghetti (and no, "zoodles" do NOT substitute for spaghetti...). I'd LOVE a Jimmy John's turkey sandwich. Not going to happen, either. I'd rather feel good. A nice ginger ale with some meals would hit the spot -- no, not willing to pay that price, either.

I was polite at the family Christmas Dinner, and ate a little of everything, and felt like crap for several days. So I'm going to the fridge and make myself a cheese plate with some pickles and a little ham. No crackers will be hurt in this evening snack...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Love Sardines❤️ . Hard to overeat if you eat sardines. Good Luck!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

They are not. They are still carbohydrates, and still have a high glycemic index and therefore stressful to digest through the insulin pathway. Aside from the various grain intolerances and toxicities that many experience.

There's now plenty of science that refutes everything we were taught for forty years by the "authorities" about nutrition and food sources. The "food pyramid" being the biggest scam foisted upon the public, and probably the single largest cause of the current obesity epidemic.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Steel cut oats do not have a high glycemic index. When you combine them with protein and fat, the GI is lower still.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steel cut oats do not have a high glycemic index. When you combine them with protein and fat, the GI is lower still.

And when you eat protein and fat, the glycemic index is lower still.

You are trying to win a "not as bad as the other stuff" debate. Just because it's not as bad as soda or white bread or potatoes doesn't mean it's a good choice. There's much healthier choices with much higher nutrient densities than grains. Asparagus, brussels sprouts, kale, mustard greens, even squash beans and what not. Grain is best first run through a chicken.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dutch

You are trying to win a "not as bad as the other stuff" debate. Just because it's not as bad as soda or white bread or potatoes doesn't mean it's a good choice. There's much healthier choices with much higher nutrient densities than grains. Asparagus, brussels sprouts, kale, mustard greens, even squash beans and what not. Grain is best first run through a chicken.

I eat all the vegetables you listed, regularly. Preferably from my garden. But not for breakfast.

Anyone who believes a little bit of whole grain is bad for you is FOS, by the way.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
They all the same in that they all cause blood sugar spikes, all being carbs, which are forms of sugar.

Wrong. Sugar is a carbohydrate but not all carbohydrates are sugars.

All sugars are carbohydrates.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oats are carbohydrates, and like other grains are converted to glucose when digested. Not all plant foods cause spikes in blood sugar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I eat all the vegetables you listed, regularly. Preferably from my garden. But not for breakfast.

Anyone who believes a little bit of whole grain is bad for you is FOS, by the way.

Now you are just being childish and willfully ignorant. There are several genetic based syndromes that make whole grains bad ju-ju for some people, Celiac's being the best know (gluten toxicity). Celiac's can even be deadly. it's no joke. I have a lesser form of intolerance for grains, and have mild IBS symptoms when I eat grain based foods (though it's most pronounced with wheat and barely). I got worse with age.

So, I suppose you are right, when I eat grains, I AM indeed FOS.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Oatmeal, fried eggs, smoked sausage , biscuits, and gravy, please

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sardines in mustard sauce, please

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Texson2
Love Sardines❤️ . Hard to overeat if you eat sardines. Good Luck!

No cheese, whole wheat crackers, mayo or BJ?

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/29/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Sardines in mustard sauce, please

F'in A. cry

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT

Oats are carbohydrates, and like other grains are converted to glucose when digested. Not all plant foods cause spikes in blood sugar.

True. Including whole oats. Which are a recommended breakfast for diabetics.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Now you are just being childish and willfully ignorant. There are several genetic based syndromes that make whole grains bad ju-ju for some people, Celiac's being the best know (gluten toxicity). Celiac's can even be deadly. it's no joke. I have a lesser form of intolerance for grains, and have mild IBS symptoms when I eat grain based foods (though it's most pronounced with wheat and barely). I got worse with age.

So, I suppose you are right, when I eat grains, I AM indeed FOS.

No you're the one being childish.. Celiacs affects 1% of the population. Just because you can't eat whole grains doesn't mean the other 99% of the population shouldnt.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

True. Including whole oats. Which are a recommended breakfast for diabetics.

Try an experiment. Eat a bowl of oats, measure your blood sugar an hour later and provide the result.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why don't you, and report back. I have a friend who's diabetic. I've watched him eat a bowl of oats for breakfast many times. An hour later, we were either fishing or hunting, no need for him to measure his blood sugar.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.